PDA

View Full Version : COTA Regional Attendance

Sook
03-12-2018, 06:11 PM
Who's planning on racing the regional event?

I was definitely going to do it, but after getting a non-drop DQ (blew minimum weight post 30 min race 3, my fault - still p'd about it) and screwing my season points I may skip and save the cash. Entry fees, tires, other consumables, hotel, unforeseen expenses all help keep credit cards under control!

If it's going to be a great AI/CMC event I could be convinced to attend.

Registration opens this Wednesday, the 14th.

Saturday + Sunday - $1199
Friday Test Day - $499
Full Garages - $1000 for 3 days, 20 available

EDIT: looks like we only get three races, copied from website below
Race Format
Tentative
The format and run groups will be determined by registration.
Typical daily format for these large events:
HPDE/TT – 4 sessions/day
Saturday - Practice - Qual – Race
Sunday - Qual - Race - Race

https://nasaproracing.com/events/2833

- Josh

blk96gt
03-12-2018, 07:22 PM
I'm planning to go.

Pranav
03-12-2018, 10:52 PM
I will go.

Cody Powell
03-12-2018, 10:55 PM
I had really planned on going, but dang $1200 and we only get three races? Maybe I will do HPDE for $300 less?

Casey_SS
03-12-2018, 11:55 PM
Cody - just sign up as an instructor. I'll sign up for HPDE1 and we can drive around yelling at each other...come on, it'll be fun. :)

ShadowBolt
03-13-2018, 07:46 AM
I'm leaning against it. Three races for $1200.00 plus tires and that damn garage price.......Plus last year I paid a few hundred to park the RV even though around me paid nothing.

JJ

michaelmosty
03-13-2018, 09:30 AM
I'm about 99% sure I will be there.
What is everyone's thought on the garages vs parking on our own? With so much space there, we could all pit together in the area higher up by the bridge and have as big a compound as we want.
What do y'all think?

blk96gt
03-13-2018, 09:42 AM
I'm about 99% sure I will be there.
What is everyone's thought on the garages vs parking on our own? With so much space there, we could all pit together in the area higher up by the bridge and have as big a compound as we want.
What do y'all think?

I was thinking the same thing. I can attempt to grab a garage, but I'd prefer we pit together if possible.

Cody Powell
03-13-2018, 10:36 AM
Cody - just sign up as an instructor. I'll sign up for HPDE1 and we can drive around yelling at each other...come on, it'll be fun. :)

Done!!

But seriously they are just giving a discount to instructors, and they will have a waiting list for that. I love that they are having just one National again but sheesh this is ridiculous!

I am all for a big compound, that way I can point to it and tell people that’s where the cool kids are.

BryanL
03-13-2018, 10:48 AM
I'll be waiting to register due to some other possible family commitments. Even if I didn't have anything else I would probably wait. I would be interested to know the cost for Nationals before deciding as well.

Having raced over Memorial Day I'll say the garages were great to have to be out of the sun all weekend when it was real hot. But they have doubled the price of the garage from $500 to $1000. Though they give the HPDE people the garage for $800. It's also great to be able to hang out on the trackside of the garage at night. But a group compound is always great.

I think the deal killer for me is Sook and Martin getting DQ'd in R3 which moved me from 10th to 8th and screwed me out of $50 Toyo $$. Why did Martin get a DQ and what place did he originally finish?

RichardP
03-13-2018, 10:53 AM
I am all for a big compound, that way I can point to it and tell people that’s where the cool kids are.

And that's why you will never be one of the cool kids. Everyone knows where the cool people hang out. If you have to point it out, it and you aren't cool...

Richard P. (not a cool kid, either)

RichardP
03-13-2018, 11:12 AM
I think the deal killer for me is Sook and Martin getting DQ'd in R3 which moved me from 10th to 8th and screwed me out of $50 Toyo $$. Why did Martin get a DQ and what place did he originally finish?

Martin was originally in 4th I believe and was also disqualified for weight.

Richard P.

Sook
03-13-2018, 11:22 AM

My bad, I would have much rather kept the win! My plan is to guarantee I won't ever be under weight again, even if the car is out of gas.

Also, sorry for spilling gas in front of you in R4 John! I have to fix/figure that out too. I think I was spilling it on my own rear tires as well judging by how slide-y the car was.

- Josh

ShadowBolt
03-13-2018, 12:51 PM
My bad, I would have much rather kept the win! My plan is to guarantee I won't ever be under weight again, even if the car is out of gas.

Also, sorry for spilling gas in front of you in R4 John! I have to fix/figure that out too. I think I was spilling it on my own rear tires as well judging by how slide-y the car was.

- Josh

John was not the only one getting a fuel bath. The first few laps it was pouring out on left turns (of course there were only two turns that were not lefts). Looks like the neck grommet at the tank. Now if I can figure out why the 55 is pouring fuel out of the evap canister.

JJ

marshall_mosty
03-13-2018, 01:39 PM
Josh,
Look at the o-ring seal on the top of the tank. I know you pulled the pump at MSRH and it might have become pinched. I've had mine do that on occasion.

Sook
03-13-2018, 02:03 PM
Josh,
Look at the o-ring seal on the top of the tank. I know you pulled the pump at MSRH and it might have become pinched. I've had mine do that on occasion.

I also had it out 3 (4?) times at Cresson chasing issues, so you're probably right. I'll try to get a bunch of those seals on order, they don't fit very well after you've used them once.

- Josh

smitty328
03-13-2018, 02:39 PM
I can't imagine I'll be able to make it. But if I do, I like Cody's idea. HPDE 4 is cheaper and you get more track time.

Pranav
03-13-2018, 03:07 PM
Yeah I'm not paying for a garage this time, let's do the compound.

Who is doing the Friday practice?

I also had it out 3 (4?) times at Cresson chasing issues, so you're probably right. I'll try to get a bunch of those seals on order, they don't fit very well after you've used them once.

- Josh

You and Daniel had the same problem with the pump seal swelling out, I told him to put it in the cooler for a while and it shrank down to fit again.

ShadowBolt
03-13-2018, 03:18 PM
As a team I just can't justify $1200.00 for three races, $250.00 for a garage spot, $500.00 for a practice day (that I really need) and $1200.00 for a new set of RR's. So one of us only gets one race the whole weekend for $3150.00. Plus whatever I paid last year (or more) to get my RV in (who knows). I don't think so. The three races is more of a deal killer for me than the total amount. I will come watch and get ready for Hallett.

JJ

Fbody383
03-13-2018, 03:38 PM
I'm still having sticker shock, but I would like to drive it before Nationals. Would be in for the compound thing wherever that would be. Can we cook on-site or is that just another reason not to go?

blk96gt
03-13-2018, 07:00 PM
I'm still having sticker shock, but I would like to drive it before Nationals. Would be in for the compound thing wherever that would be. Can we cook on-site or is that just another reason not to go?

We can cook on-site.

Fbody383
03-14-2018, 09:05 AM
Well that hurt. Not as much as the physical... now I have to get a car, of some kind, together.

mach1
03-14-2018, 09:11 AM
I am looking at the fact that there are a few less races this year for NASATX to help compensate for the $$$$$$ COTA event, still not sure if I am going to go at this point.

blk96gt
03-14-2018, 09:45 AM
If anyone in Houston wants to do some practice laps on the sim lmk.

mach1
03-14-2018, 10:15 AM
If anyone in Houston wants to do some practice laps on the sim lmk.

what is your sim setup?

drecords
03-14-2018, 10:32 AM
Anybody know why we get less track time than HPDE and pay more for entry? I understand races generally are more trouble but it seems to not pass my funny look test for a regional event?

Or maybe I'm just being salty and not considering that maybe one of those races is really long?

ShadowBolt
03-14-2018, 10:43 AM
Anybody know why we get less track time than HPDE and pay more for entry? I understand races generally are more trouble but it seems to not pass my funny look test for a regional event?

Or maybe I'm just being salty and not considering that maybe one of those races is really long?

I don't remember the answer to that last year but I agree with you. I guess we are not as important to Nasa Texas as the HPDE guys are.

JJ

Sook
03-14-2018, 10:59 AM

I think the races are 30-35 mins each because the track is so long.

- Josh

ShadowBolt
03-14-2018, 11:03 AM
I think the races are 30-35 mins each because the track is so long.

- Josh

But the HPDE sessions can be less with no issue?

JJ

Fbody383
03-14-2018, 11:15 AM
But the HPDE sessions can be less with no issue? High speed and long stints in the car not good for many new folks.

BryanL
03-14-2018, 12:47 PM
Track is so long that the out lap/cooldown lap take so much time it impacts the length of the sessions and the number allowed. I'm curious if insurance costs are different. But I feel safer in my 260 rwhp fully caged, suited, hans, fire system in a race than I would in a DE in short sleeves in a 520 rwhp Vette with people who have little track experience (especially at COTA).

Otherwise I can speculate and the first factor is this is a business to make money. There are more potential DE people than racers out there and if you make it cheap enough hopefully there will be more demand for DE. Keep in mind NASA is based out of Cali and don't know about now but years ago they would have DE only weekends with tons of cars. Look at all the other DE organizations out there running events and now with TWS out of the picture weekends are more limited.

Now back to Econ 101 and supply/demand for me. I'm going to skip racing at COTA so no $1,200 in revenue. However I still may come and run DE which works out to $799 with the $100 off I could use at Hallett. (DE also gets one extra session per day compared to racers which is why Daniel sniffer is confused if he is going to pay more for less time) If I DE that's still $500 less in revenue than if I was racing but $800 is better than $0. What's interesting is NOLA in October is only $285 for a weekend of racing compared to Hallett being $429.

After this whole lesson it brings me back to a question already asked about SIM rigs? I forgot to look closer at the rig in the van I saw at Cresson.

Pranav
03-14-2018, 12:52 PM
NOLA is cheap because the NASA region running it owns the track themselves; no rental fees to pay and pure profit. Keep that in mind.

Next year I would prefer one more local event over or in addition to NOLA. Maybe two more letting us racers skip COTA regional if COTA nationals happens again for 2019.

mach1
03-14-2018, 01:28 PM
Otherwise I can speculate and the first factor is this is a business to make money. There are more potential DE people than racers out there and if you make it cheap enough hopefully there will be more demand for DE.

Agreed, there isn't a logical reason, they are just trying a different business strategy. Maybe last year the racer attendance was good and DE wasn't? Maybe NASATX thinks the racers will bite the bullet again(and most will I would bet), esp with Nats being there and folks wanting more tracktime at COTA?
I seem to remember reg numbers were low at first but they were pretty good when it was said and done.

Fbody383
03-14-2018, 04:14 PM
Nats being there and folks wanting pre-Nationals tracktime at COTA Fixed; really only reason I'm running in May is to have some actual track time. Closest Nationals will ever be for me.

marshall_mosty
03-14-2018, 05:04 PM
Agreed, there isn't a logical reason, they are just trying a different business strategy. Maybe last year the racer attendance was good and DE wasn't? Maybe NASATX thinks the racers will bite the bullet again(and most will I would bet), esp with Nats being there and folks wanting more tracktime at COTA?
I seem to remember reg numbers were low at first but they were pretty good when it was said and done.

It's a little of both. The DE price point was too high and the race groups need more EV support from the COTA team ($$$).

smitty328
03-14-2018, 06:35 PM
Seems like they could use the cut through on the national course for warm up and cool down laps. That would save 2 miles of slower driving each session.

Or we could run the national course and get more laps per race.

Cody Powell
03-14-2018, 07:10 PM
I’m gonna sign up for Comp school, all day Friday and both days of racing (with instruction) $1499? Who is pricing this stuff?

mach1
03-14-2018, 07:41 PM
np01's are $1250 vs $1200, interesting
can we all do comp school??? :-D

centerville
03-14-2018, 10:09 PM
I guess I will do comp school next year. No way I can have the car and me ready. COTA would have been a cool place to get my license.

Pranav
03-14-2018, 11:58 PM
I’m gonna sign up for Comp school, all day Friday and both days of racing (with instruction) $1499? Who is pricing this stuff?

What's the rule on contact in comp school?

Maybe they can send us back to hpde4 and knock another $600 off lol