PDA

View Full Version : COTA (May-2018) Time to Sign-Up!!

marshall_mosty
03-16-2018, 09:31 AM
Entry List as of 1-May-18 (1:00pm)

American Iron
Joe Bogetich
Martin Daszkal
Casey Holdway
Perry Herman
Corey Jones
Stuart Margol
Craig McCormick
Leo Overgaag
Max Panchuck
Mike Patterson
Cody Powell
Daryl Stahele
Dennis Tanker
Bert Withers

American Iron Extreme
None

Spec Iron
None

Camaro/Mustang Challenge
Dan Allford
Al Fernandez
Dave Francis
Kevin Jander
John Martin
Michael Mosty
Pranav Patel
Daniel Records
Josh Sooknanan

michaelmosty
04-03-2018, 04:18 PM
I'm registered!! Now I just have to learn the track...

Pranav
04-03-2018, 04:40 PM
Michael stay behind me during the races and I'll show you the best lines.

blk96gt
04-03-2018, 05:08 PM
I'm signed up as well but not showing up yet.

MikeP99Z
04-03-2018, 08:52 PM
You show up as an instructor on my list. They'll switch it to racing eventually.

Fbody383
04-04-2018, 04:45 PM
Why am I signed up? I don't even own a running race car...

Good think I have good friends that will let me drive one if I help work on it.

ShadowBolt
04-04-2018, 08:08 PM
Why am I signed up? I don't even own a running race car...

Good think I have good friends that will let me drive one if I help work on it.

Are we talking about a car that has won at COTA?

JJ

drecords
04-04-2018, 10:37 PM
I am testing #34 at MSRHouston next weekend to confirm the whole turning off in lefts issue is fixed...I should hit the entry list after that :).

Fbody383
04-06-2018, 03:57 PM
Are we talking about a car that has won at COTA? That one or the other one. Need physical track time for Nationals so a 4th gen would be best. Beggars can't be choosers. Or just drive one that's 3" too narrow at the nose.

Supercharged111
04-09-2018, 02:29 PM
That one or the other one. Need physical track time for Nationals so a 4th gen would be best. Beggars can't be choosers. Or just drive one that's 3" too narrow at the nose.

Better than .01" too wide, am I right?

39PitCrew
04-09-2018, 08:02 PM
Better than .01" too wide, am I right?

Too soon?

Al Fernandez
04-10-2018, 09:16 PM
lol

Fbody383
04-12-2018, 05:04 PM
Better than .01" too wide, am I right? I'm 99% sure your hooptie was behind my legal car...

Yeah, too soon.

Sook
04-13-2018, 03:28 PM
I'm in.

- Josh

Supercharged111
04-14-2018, 11:05 PM
I'm 99% sure your hooptie was behind my legal car...

The Red Dragon will be back to rectify that in June.

Sook
04-16-2018, 11:49 AM
I heard they did a bunch of track grinding a couple of weeks ago, and they they're adding stuff for World Rallycross to run there soon. A lot of folks were complaining about the track conditions and frosted windshields.

- Josh

Al Fernandez
04-19-2018, 01:17 PM
Didn't rallycross just implode?

Sook
04-19-2018, 01:50 PM
Didn't rallycross just implode?

Global Rally Cross did (The redbull one)

I think World RallyX is still OK (FIA)

Sook
04-19-2018, 02:19 PM
Al is on the list so including Jander we're up to 9 in CMC!

drecords
04-19-2018, 04:19 PM
I'm signed up now

michaelmosty
04-19-2018, 05:48 PM
Nice, both AI and CMC starting to grow. I've been watching some F1 videos so I can get my braking points figured out!!

39PitCrew
04-19-2018, 08:35 PM
Nice, both AI and CMC starting to grow. I've been watching some F1 videos so I can get my braking points figured out!!

Yea. Because your car stops and corners like an F1 car. Have you been to tech lately?

Pranav
04-20-2018, 08:58 AM
We're only a minute/lap behind F1!

marshall_mosty
04-20-2018, 10:04 AM
Yea. Because your car stops and corners like an F1 car. Have you been to tech lately?
His carbon/carbon setup really does well...

Sook
04-22-2018, 07:55 AM

I've been studying Verstappens passing techniques.

- Josh

Al Fernandez
04-22-2018, 07:04 PM
Lol

Cody Powell
04-22-2018, 08:19 PM
I've been studying Verstappens passing techniques.

- Josh

Sometimes you gotta just lick that stamp and SEND IT!!

Fbody383
04-27-2018, 04:05 PM
Iffy at this point... not quite dead yet but...

Is there a common area folks are parking in? Cooking on site? Lessons learned from last event?

Sook
04-27-2018, 04:20 PM
Iffy at this point... not quite dead yet but...

Is there a common area folks are parking in? Cooking on site? Lessons learned from last event?

Trying to get the #39 ready or another car?

I haven't seen a parking map yet, are they opening more of the facility this year? Last year it was basically just the area behind the garages.

- Josh

39PitCrew
04-27-2018, 05:08 PM
Sometimes you gotta just lick that stamp and SEND IT!!

You can still LICK a stamp?

marshall_mosty
04-28-2018, 03:55 PM
I sent this out to the AI guys:

Racers,
It looks like COTA is shaping up to be a great 2nd annual event for the Texas region of NASA. Will and his crew put on a spectacular event last year and I'm sure this year will be no exception. With Nationals being at COTA this year, this will be good "practice" for those of you coming back in September.

As this is a cross-over event for Texas, I wanted to be VERY clear on my expectations as your series director for the event (and season for the TX yahoos).

Dyno Sheets
You MUST have a valid dyno sheet that was done prior to this event, but AFTER your last event in 2017. You need BOTH pages. The form you fill out needs to be FILLED OUT, please. All the boxes, spaces, etc need to be addressed. The dyno form needs to be signed by both you and the dyno operator. The dyno graph needs to reflect the same information (HP, TQ, date) as your form you fill out.

HP/TQ/Min Weight Stickers
The windshield stickers need to either match your HP/TQ for your dyno sheet or be HIGHER. The minimum weight on the sticker needs to match the calculated minimum from your form for your platform and ABS/no-ABS configuaration.

Safety Gear
Make sure all your crap is up to date. Last year we had an AI car blow an oil line and have a pretty decent fire inside the car as a result. Make sure you have all the holes in your firewall, floorboard covered. There was a post on EVERY NASA forum after that event with the video and suggestions to prep your car accordingly. Please go back and read that and read this:
http://www.motorsportretro.com/2013/02/f1-fire/

AI Rules
Make sure your car is legal for AI. We are prepping your car for Nationals so I don't want anyone to say "I didn't have time" or I didn't think it mattered. The rules are the rules. If you don't want to run in AI we can put you in AIX or you can "fun run" in AI from the back of the field. Please, please, don't make me have a difficult conversation with you about the prep on your car. The majority of you I know and I know the build of your cars (and that you have been racing for a while). For those of you that don't know me, I'm really a good guy but have to put on the "tough father face" via email... LOL
https://www.nasaproracing.com/rules/american_iron_rules.pdf

Series Dues (TX Region drivers only)
For those of you have haven't already contributed, the series due for the year are $30. This covers the costs of the traveling year end trophies as well as the plaques at Hallett. I haven't been collecting for several years so I'm trying to cover the deficit that has caused. If everyone pitches in this season, I will be ----><---- close to covering the gap. You are racing at COTA (I know what that entry cost), bring an extra $30 to get yourself off the "hasn't yet paid" list please.

Where to park
If you haven't been to COTA, there is a large concrete/asphalt pad between the last part of the straightaway going into T12 and between T13. I'd like to see if everyone can paddock as a group (unless you are already in a garage). This area was pretty empty last year. The area behind the garages was a mess last year so we would never be able to be together down there.

Availability
If anyone needs to get in touch with me, I always have my phone on:
(940) 736-9043
I retired the car last year so am taking a break from racing, but will be around on foot. I'm having shoulder surgery next week due to an injury a few weeks back (dislocated shoulder) so I'll be one-armed for COTA, so might not be able to get around as quickly as scooter access for me might not be the best idea, but I will be roaming around...

Fbody383
04-30-2018, 03:01 PM
Trying to get the #39 ready or another car? If there was a chance it would likely be the 88. At this point probably #39 until Nationals. Of 2018. Need some motivation... and a personal fleet that works.

39PitCrew
05-01-2018, 05:54 PM
If there was a chance it would likely be the 88. At this point probably #39 until Nationals. Of 2018. Need some motivation... and a personal fleet that works.

At least the trailer brakes will be working by Hallett.

drecords
05-02-2018, 01:31 PM
Assuming the answer to this is simple, but assumptions are bad mkay. Since we have 3 races, are #1 &#2 the Toyota races?

Pranav
05-02-2018, 01:50 PM
Toyota races?

If you already own a Toyota does that mean I get double points?

-Only guy that tows with a Toyota

drecords
05-02-2018, 10:07 PM
If you already own a Toyota does that mean I get double points?

Autocorrect fail.

39PitCrew
05-04-2018, 03:52 PM

Not true. Paul "vato duals" Culp may have a story about a tundra going to Hallett.

marshall_mosty
05-07-2018, 11:19 AM
Everyone,
I wanted to reach out and let you know that from a Director’s prospective, this weekend was a complete success. I’d also like to extend my gratitude to the guys from California and Colorado that took time out of their week to trek down to Texas. I hope you all enjoyed the weekend. The level of prep from the California guys is simply on a different level. Your cars are all works of art!
The way everyone also conducted themselves on-track was as best that could be considered considering our R1 grid had 61 cars!! I appreciate your patience with everything grid related throughout the weekend. COTA is a very large facility and just movement logistics are difficult and slow but you guys took it in stride! The on-track racing was fierce and intense with lap records falling in both AI and CMC. Congrats to both Michael Patterson for a blistering American Iron time of 2:30.102 and Kevin Jander for a smoking CMC time of 2:37.282!! Well driven guys!
I hope to see everyone back at COTA for Nationals in September!
But… our next event is the “Summer Shootout” at Hallett over the weekend of 8-June!!

Fbody383
05-07-2018, 11:44 AM
Awesome... waiting on the stories.

ShadowBolt
05-07-2018, 12:50 PM

Michael has clutch stories to share.

JJ

Sook
05-07-2018, 03:25 PM

Looking for a Houston Area frame shop to sponsor a CMC car. :)

Had my first body contact form with Dennis. I bumped his left rear corner (mostly plastic on his car luckily) in T15. Floppy fox body bent frame horns in front of the shock tower. My fault. Resulted in a DQ from 3rd in R2.

Sorry for ruining your race Dennis

- Josh

michaelmosty
05-07-2018, 03:33 PM
Short report for now. Had clutch issues, took it all apart, didn't fix it correctly on Saturday. Fixed it Sunday morning and had a blast in the 2 races I ran. I was very pleased with how fun the track was. The large amount of 2nd gear corners did suck but the quick up and down elevation changes were a cool twist. I was also very happy they had ground down a large number of the orange turtles at apex because that helped me learn the track much quicker with as forgiving as it was.
Detailed report and video to follow:

ShadowBolt
05-07-2018, 03:36 PM
Short report for now. Had clutch issues, took it all apart, didn't fix it correctly on Saturday. Fixed it Sunday morning and had a blast in the 2 races I ran. I was very pleased with how fun the track was. The large amount of 2nd gear corners did suck but the quick up and down elevation changes were a cool twist. I was also very happy they had ground down a large number of the orange turtles at apex because that helped me learn the track much quicker with as forgiving as it was.
Detailed report and video to follow:

I was told those "turtles" were adjustable. Last event they could tear you call all to hell. I watched R2 and you guys were driving all over in places that were not possible last year.

JJ

Sook
05-15-2018, 12:41 PM
I don't see R1 results from COTA in the folder. Was R1 not a toyo race?

http://timingscoring.drivenasa.com/NASA_Texas_Region/2018-%20Official%20Results/COTA-%20May/

- Josh

RichardP
05-15-2018, 01:06 PM
I don't see R1 results from COTA in the folder.

The folder structure is kind of messed up. You have to go up three levels, jump to Saturday, and then back down three levels. Having all of COTA in a folder labeled COTA would make too much sense...

http://timingscoring.drivenasa.com/NASA_Texas_Region/Saturday%20-%20Provisional%20Results/COTA%20May/

Richard P.

Sook
05-15-2018, 02:05 PM
The folder structure is kind of messed up. You have to go up three levels, jump to Saturday, and then back down three levels. Having all of COTA in a folder labeled COTA would make too much sense...

http://timingscoring.drivenasa.com/NASA_Texas_Region/Saturday%20-%20Provisional%20Results/COTA%20May/

Richard P.

Silly me, thanks!