PDA

View Full Version : Nationals Dyno Process

mach1
07-16-2018, 01:09 AM
Can experienced nationals folks explain the dyno process for nationals?

BADVENM
07-16-2018, 07:39 AM
This has been the process the past year or two or three.

There will be two dynos available, A and B. You're race class will be assigned one of them prior to your arrival. You can chose to dyno before the event if you chose on the dyno specified. You are not required to dyno prior to the event.

You may be asked to dyno after warmup, qualifying race, national championship race. If you are asked to dyno it would be on the one specified from the start.

So if CMC dynos on dyno A, thats the one you go to for the entirety of the event.

Hope that helps.

mach1
07-16-2018, 11:41 AM
Very helpful, thank you

michaelmosty
07-16-2018, 11:57 AM
Has anyone received information on how to schedule dyno time?

For those that have competed in previous National events, when do they normally send out the event information? I have not received anything yet and am curious how others knew the schedule format with having just one qualifying race to set grid for the Championship race.

BADVENM
07-16-2018, 12:12 PM
A week or two before nationals an e-mail will go out to everyone with information on parking, electricity, dyno group letters, etc. Part of that will be the phone number of the dyno shop(s) to schedule some time before the event starts. If you need tires delivered to the track there will be information on the tire vendor which will bring them to the track.

Watch this page for updates as well as e-mails. https://nasachampionships.com/

https://nasachampionships.com/event/

Here is the rough schedule:

Race Schedule:

Thursday – Optional Test/Tune
Friday – Practice, Qualifying Round 1, Qualifying Round 2 (best time from either session)
Saturday – Warmup, Qualifying Race
Sunday – Championship Races gridded by finishing position from Qualifying Race

**Spec Miata will be limited to 170 cars split into 85(a) and 85(b) groups.

TT Schedule:

Friday – One (1) Warmup Session near end of day
Saturday – Three (3) Competition Sessions
Sunday – Two (2) Competition Sessions

Den34
07-16-2018, 01:35 PM
At Watkins Glen in 2016 they had two sets of scales as well and you were assigned which scales you were supposed to use.
Bob

mach1
07-16-2018, 03:14 PM
I am going to switch from SM to CMC for nats, who would be the best person to reach out to?

BADVENM
07-16-2018, 03:43 PM
I would try this: https://nasachampionships.com/contact-us/

They've been pretty quick in replying when I had questions in prior years.

Fbody383
07-16-2018, 03:43 PM
Race Schedule:

Friday – Practice, Qualifying Round 1, Qualifying Round 2 (best time from either session)
Saturday – Warmup, Qualifying Race
Sunday – Championship Races gridded by finishing position from Qualifying Race
What is Thursday all about? Is it optional if I take more money out of my wallet or if I'm registered I just need to show up?

BADVENM
07-16-2018, 04:32 PM
Optional way to take more money out of your wallet. I've never been there before so I'll be doing the test and tune to get familiar with the track.

t500hps
07-16-2018, 08:40 PM
Doesn't look like I'm going to make it this year but how many of you guys have a dyno at the track regularly? In 5+ yrs I've been racing with NASA Mid Atlantic I only remember one weekend we did NOT have a dyno there and that was because the guys truck broke down on the way. The guy we've used for a number of years was at Nationals 2015/2016 and was pretty easy to walk up and get a time sometime that day. He wasn't real organized but it seemed to work out pretty well. Even though he happened to be the dyno I had used a number of times before, I still paid to get on it the day before racing started. Being in a different region/atmosphere seemed to screw with my numbers a bit and we had to get the car "dialed in".

Heck, in 2015 I was sent to the dyno 7 of the 8 regional race weekends we ran that year!!!

BADVENM
07-16-2018, 09:19 PM
We dynoed at Laguna Seca a few years ago to ensure we were compliant with another non CMC run group because no other CMC cars registered. We dynoed within 1hp and similar torque of our dyno earlier in the year at just over a mile high elevation. I was quite surprised how similar the numbers were. Otherwise we've never had a dyno at any of our events (Rocky Mountain). We had one occasion that I remember where we sealed a hood and had a Camaro dyno later that week. His numbers were high because his restrictor plate cracked or a small piece broke allowing more air in producing the higher than allowed hp/tq numbers.

RichardP
07-16-2018, 09:25 PM
In 5+ yrs I've been racing with NASA Mid Atlantic I only remember one weekend we did NOT have a dyno there

Heck, in 2015 I was sent to the dyno 7 of the 8 regional race weekends we ran that year!!!

In Texas, we dyno every time we have solid evidence of a unicorn farting...

Richard P.

Supercharged111
07-16-2018, 11:14 PM
We dynoed at Laguna Seca a few years ago to ensure we were compliant with another non CMC run group because no other CMC cars registered. We dynoed within 1hp and similar torque of our dyno earlier in the year at just over a mile high elevation. I was quite surprised how similar the numbers were. Otherwise we've never had a dyno at any of our events (Rocky Mountain). We had one occasion that I remember where we sealed a hood and had a Camaro dyno later that week. His numbers were high because his restrictor plate cracked or a small piece broke allowing more air in producing the higher than allowed hp/tq numbers.

We had a dyno at the track April 2015 and it was a disaster. They were incompetent, managed to rip off a 944s brake line, and their numbers were way high across the board despite being a Dynojet. I remember that one well because my car was blowed up and the whole weekend was freezing ass cold. That's when Bryan ran a 3 minute lap at HPR in the snow and we let the HPDE bubbas leave their windows up. Honestly I was glad I didn't drive that weekend, just worked tech. I did justify bringing the trailer to the track though because I snagged myself a flipper car on the way to the track so at least I had a place to sleep.