PDA

View Full Version : T56 Transmission Fluid

rleng1
08-09-2018, 02:44 PM
What are y’all using for transmission fluid. Yes, I’m changing the transmission fluid for nationals.

Fbody383
08-09-2018, 04:33 PM
Probably wrong guy to ask but I use Royal Purple.

Al Fernandez
08-09-2018, 05:46 PM
I’ve been using synthetic power steering fluid since 2001
Well, not the same fluid but you know what I mean.

Pranav
08-09-2018, 09:55 PM
I've been running plain non synthetic pennzoil synchromesh. It's a touch notchy when cold but shifts like butter after the first warmup lap.

The tremec guy here in TX said for what we do the shear resistance and protection of synchromesh is better than just running dexron iii, and to run the pennzoil (also valvoline, which is just pennzoil in their bottle) synchromesh.

For a street t56 I would run regular dex III to avoid the notchines/wear from cold shifting.

Then again I also ran synthetic redline D4 for four seasons and when we took it apart to do the LS conversion everything still looked great, so I have no idea lol.

drecords
08-09-2018, 10:44 PM
I've been running plain non synthetic pennzoil synchromesh. It's a touch notchy when cold but shifts like butter after the first warmup lap.

The tremec guy here in TX said for what we do the shear resistance and protection of synchromesh is better than just running dexron iii, and to run the pennzoil (also valvoline, which is just pennzoil in their bottle) synchromesh.

For a street t56 I would run regular dex III to avoid the notchines/wear from cold shifting.

Then again I also ran synthetic redline D4 for four seasons and when we took it apart to do the LS conversion everything still looked great, so I have no idea lol.
Pennzoil...eww

centerville
08-09-2018, 11:21 PM
My track car has had redline d4 in it almost since new, 15 years. Fluid changed every year.

Sook
08-09-2018, 11:39 PM
I thought synchromesh fluids would be bad for transmissions that don't have brass synchronizers?

Pranav
08-10-2018, 01:59 AM
Pennzoil...eww

C'mon mister oil expert. Pennzoil is the label they stick on Shell lubricants (same guys that make the rotella) sold in the US these days. The exact same stuff gets a shell sticker overseas.

Pennzoil is nothing but a label brand these days.

ShadowBolt
08-10-2018, 09:46 AM
I was told the Pennzoil was the same as GM synchromesh. Joe Dietrich told me to run this in my 600RR.

JJ

drecords
08-10-2018, 11:41 AM
C'mon mister oil expert. Pennzoil is the label they stick on Shell lubricants (same guys that make the rotella) sold in the US these days. The exact same stuff gets a shell sticker overseas.

Pennzoil is nothing but a label brand these days.

I highly recommend Mobil products. Could be biased...

Sook
08-10-2018, 01:22 PM
I highly recommend Mobil products. Could be biased...

Got a recommendation for a Mobil synchromesh?

drecords
08-12-2018, 10:01 PM
Got a recommendation for a Mobil synchromesh?

I was actually just gigging Pranav. I did look it up and on the surface M1 doesn't make a Synchromesh equivalent. In the Astro I'm running a brew of Redline D4 ATF and the Syngear Synerlube II that they recommend.

marshall_mosty
08-13-2018, 09:59 AM
I was actually just gigging Pranav. I did look it up and on the surface M1 doesn't make a Synchromesh equivalent. In the Astro I'm running a brew of Redline D4 ATF and the Syngear Synerlube II that they recommend.
In the Astro, I ran Amsoil ATF and Syngear Synerlube II and it worked flawlessly.

ShadowBolt
08-13-2018, 01:47 PM
In the Astro, I ran Amsoil ATF and Syngear Synerlube II and it worked flawlessly.

The Syngear Synerlube II is as high as Giraffe pussy but it must work.

JJ

BryanL
08-14-2018, 11:12 AM
Ran Redline D4 ATF for years following the recommendation of LAW Motorsports and never had any issue. I have switched to Motul Gear 300 75/90- D4 ATF along with Patterson I believe and also haven't had any issue that I'm aware of.
My thought is the T56 is overkill for our power levels and I don't think heat is an issue either so run a good fluid that can handle the heat. That's where I'm led to believe Motul does a good job of handling heat-I run Motul in engine, trans, and rear end.

marshall_mosty
08-16-2018, 04:18 PM
Ran Redline D4 ATF for years following the recommendation of LAW Motorsports and never had any issue...

I'm not one to talk, but that's only like four weekends on the fluid, right??

Pranav
08-16-2018, 05:47 PM
Yeah but he uses reverse way more than anyone else. Much harder on the fluid...

marshall_mosty
08-17-2018, 11:04 AM
yeah but he uses reverse way more than anyone else. Much harder on the fluid...

lol

rleng1
08-19-2018, 10:57 PM
Just changed trans fluid using Redline D4, and it looked perfect after 7 seasons. Put Redline back in.
Ready for COTA.
Will have a new look.

Supercharged111
08-21-2018, 10:34 PM
I use Walmart Valvoline fluid. Replace it once a year as needed. Seems to do the trick.