PDA

View Full Version : FNG - Intro

64GunPilot
10-25-2018, 10:01 PM
My name is Dylan Bryan. New to the forum, and new to racing. I have made the decision to dive into HPDE with the full intentions of racing CMC in Texas. I've been fascinated with CMC for many years but have been stationed overseas (active duty Army) for the passed 5 years. I have attended a few international HPDE style training events overseas, but have never attended any NASA events stateside yet. In June I'll be arriving back to Fort Hood. I am originally from Abilene, so this puts me close to home. Excited about the move.

I am purchasing Mike Plum's 3rd Gen car he is selling in California. I have another kirkey seat to put in for a passenger/instructor for HPDE training. He is selling his entire racing package, spares, trailer ect. I am super excited about this. He seems like a great guy. I love the Fords, but I also love the Chevys too. I wanted to build my own car but I think financially its better to purchase an already prepared car. I think I'll come out several thousands cheaper. Plus his spares, tires, and trailer....Anyhow. I did build a Factory Five Cobra replica (not challenge car) back in 2009. Im actually selling it to be able to afford this new hobby.

2019 Will probably just be an HPDE year I think. I want to ease into it. Im not even a rookie yet. I have so much to learn. But I look forward to joining the community and learning as much as I can from everyone. I have some Army training to tend to in Alabama before I get fully settled at Fort Hood. My first track appearance wont be until June 2019. But I plan on scanning the forums, event schedules and results, and studying the rules again and again. I've read them years ago, but I can already tell theyve changed a lot since the last time I read them. I may ask many questions on here between now and June 19. I will try to answer the questions by studying the CCRs first, but Im sure I'll have lots of questions regardless.

Cheers

Dylan

Fbody383
10-26-2018, 07:57 AM
Woo Hoo! Welcome aboard and welcome home.

David

cjlmlml
10-26-2018, 09:48 AM
Welcome and thanks for your service.

Great group here.

drecords
10-26-2018, 10:09 AM
My name is Dylan Bryan. New to the forum, and new to racing. I have made the decision to dive into HPDE with the full intentions of racing CMC in Texas. I've been fascinated with CMC for many years but have been stationed overseas (active duty Army) for the passed 5 years. I have attended a few international HPDE style training events overseas, but have never attended any NASA events stateside yet. In June I'll be arriving back to Fort Hood. I am originally from Abilene, so this puts me close to home. Excited about the move.

I am purchasing Mike Plum's 3rd Gen car he is selling in California. I have another kirkey seat to put in for a passenger/instructor for HPDE training. He is selling his entire racing package, spares, trailer ect. I am super excited about this. He seems like a great guy. I love the Fords, but I also love the Chevys too. I wanted to build my own car but I think financially its better to purchase an already prepared car. I think I'll come out several thousands cheaper. Plus his spares, tires, and trailer....Anyhow. I did build a Factory Five Cobra replica (not challenge car) back in 2009. Im actually selling it to be able to afford this new hobby.

2019 Will probably just be an HPDE year I think. I want to ease into it. Im not even a rookie yet. I have so much to learn. But I look forward to joining the community and learning as much as I can from everyone. I have some Army training to tend to in Alabama before I get fully settled at Fort Hood. My first track appearance wont be until June 2019. But I plan on scanning the forums, event schedules and results, and studying the rules again and again. I've read them years ago, but I can already tell theyve changed a lot since the last time I read them. I may ask many questions on here between now and June 19. I will try to answer the questions by studying the CCRs first, but Im sure I'll have lots of questions regardless.

Cheers

Dylan

Welcome back to the USA and the greatest state and thanks for your service!

Absolutely did the right thing by buying a built car, huge money ahead by doing that!

marshall_mosty
10-26-2018, 10:20 AM
Dylan,
Welcome to the family and tremendous thanks for your service to our country! The AI/CMC group (especially here in TX) is one of the best one's you will find. You will find that everyone is will to help out a fellow racer with questions, parts, etc both at the track and between events.

If you have any questions, please feel free to reach out. Michael Mosty is technically your CMC Director for the TX region, but I can fill his shoes in a pinch (I'm the AI Director). Our contact email is at the back of the rulebook (CMC for Michael and AI for me).

Enjoy the addiction... habit... err hobby!

smitty328
10-26-2018, 01:25 PM
Welcome!

Apache driver?

mach1
10-26-2018, 03:52 PM
CMC, good choice!

Al Fernandez
10-26-2018, 09:56 PM
Welcome Dylan
Wow been a long time since I raced against Plum’s car. He’s a great guy who always took care of his equipment well so I’m sure you’ll do well picking up his stuff.

Storm Trooper
10-26-2018, 09:58 PM
I am purchasing Mike Plum's 3rd Gen car he is selling in California. I have another kirkey seat to put in for a passenger/instructor for HPDE training. He is selling his entire racing package, spares, trailer ect. I am super excited about this. He seems like a great guy. I love the Fords,(well we will work on you!) but I also love the Chevys too.
Dylan

Welcome!
Thank you for your Service!

3rd Gen Great choice in cars. Gary And my self are the last 3rd gen hold outs. ( best platform IMHO)

This is the Best group of people you'll ever race with.

Supercharged111
10-26-2018, 10:02 PM
Not many of us active duty here, way to represent. Can't wait for you to get that comp license, then it'll be an Army vs Air Force showdown at Hallett 2020. :cool:

64GunPilot
10-27-2018, 01:01 AM
Not many of us active duty here, way to represent. Can't wait for you to get that comp license, then it'll be an Army vs Air Force showdown at Hallett 2020. :cool:

Oh yea? How so? Should I put some Army graphics on my car?? Haha. Kidding, Im sure I'd get in a lot of trouble for that.

Yes, I am an Apache driver of 15 years. Warrant Officer type of course :twisted:

Thanks for all the welcome guys.

Supercharged111
10-27-2018, 10:27 AM
Oh yea? How so? Should I put some Army graphics on my car?? Haha. Kidding, Im sure I'd get in a lot of trouble for that.

Yes, I am an Apache driver of 15 years. Warrant Officer type of course :twisted:

Thanks for all the welcome guys.

No shit? We had a CW4 Apache pilot here briefly too. If you're a recruiter you can slap graphics on the car and write it off.

64GunPilot
10-27-2018, 11:51 AM
https://1drv.ms/f/s!AlGb9rjS1IErgbl_KBIP1FQhe7idAw

This car is sexy. Dreaming right now. I need June 2019 to get here faster. Here in SK time for bed. Maybe when i wake up June will be here.

Supercharged111
10-27-2018, 06:26 PM
Not as sexy as that red 4th gen it's pictured with. 8-)

centerville
10-27-2018, 08:00 PM
Welcome! Love the 3rd gen.

BryanL
10-29-2018, 04:25 PM
First, thanks for your service. Second, good choice for CMC in Texas and love to have another 3rd Gen in the group. Getting to the events and pitting with everyone even while in DE will be a huge learning experience both on and off track.

64GunPilot
10-29-2018, 06:39 PM
First, thanks for your service. Second, good choice for CMC in Texas and love to have another 3rd Gen in the group. Getting to the events and pitting with everyone even while in DE will be a huge learning experience both on and off track.

Thanks. I look forward to the off track experiences just as much as on track.

marshall_mosty
10-30-2018, 12:36 PM
Thanks. I look forward to the off track experiences just as much as on track.
Just watch out for the RedShift margaritas... They are stout, but help you build engines on the back of a trailer, at Nationals, at night, with a flashlight, until 3:30 in the morning... LOL

Supercharged111
10-30-2018, 10:09 PM
Just watch out for the RedShift margaritas... They are stout, but help you build engines on the back of a trailer, at Nationals, at night, with a flashlight, until 3:30 in the morning... LOL

Or stop speaking legibly at downhill water slide time and be passed out hours before delicious midnight ribs are served.

Den34
10-31-2018, 01:45 PM
You are smart buying a car to start this hobby.
There are 3 major learning curves you will encounter
1 Building a car and figuring out reliability
2 Learning to drive
3 Learning to race.

By buying a running car you have eliminated one learning curve.

Bob

64GunPilot
11-03-2018, 09:18 AM
2 Learning to drive
3 Learning to race.

Bob

I enjoy building, it was purely from an economical decision to buy prebuilt. As I mature in this sport/hobby/community, I may start a slow build on a foxbody or SN95. Who knows.

UPDATE: My Factory Five Cobra sold for asking price. Funds have been secured to make the purchase of Mike Plum's car. I've been calling it mine, but reality is I haven't paid or took possession yet. Was hoping to make it to California to meet with Mike and retrieve it. But looks like it'll take til mid next week for this cashiers check to clear (its already been verified), but there is a hold on it at my bank. Unfortunately I don't have enough days of leave to wait that long and I have to return to South Korea. So Mike has agreed to keep it stored at his place awaiting pickup sometime Christmas timeframe when I come back to visit my family for Christmas.

marshall_mosty
11-06-2018, 11:16 PM
Congrats on the sale of the Cobra and glad your car can stay safe until you are back stateside.

64GunPilot
11-14-2018, 05:46 PM
UPDATE:

All wires are complete. I am OFFICIALLY the new owner of the #77 3rd Gen CMC. Will drive to collect it up December 19th.

liquidroam
11-14-2018, 06:06 PM
2 Learning to drive
3 Learning to race.

Bob

Ya you know something.... I thought that is what I was doing.... You are right though that car looks much better cared for than the one I grabbed. Good work.

64GunPilot
11-14-2018, 06:19 PM
Ya you know something.... I thought that is what I was doing.... You are right though that car looks much better cared for than the one I grabbed. Good work.

The car probably has some cobwebs to clear out, tank drained and fresh fluids throughout, new nets and seatbelts. It hasnt been on the track much in the last two years, but for the most part, the car is 99.9% ready for HPDE. A few safety items and it should pass inspection for CMC once I get my comp license.

Supercharged111
11-17-2018, 04:01 PM

You're not alone. I went to the dyno 4 times my first season and didn't get the car right until my 3rd season. As long as the FNG here doesn't inherit some elusive electrical gremlins, the motor makes the numbers, and the setup is halfway decent he should be able to tweak it to his liking over the course of a season.