PDA

View Full Version : Trailer: steel deck, dove tail, 18'+

y5e06
01-01-2019, 10:34 AM
I'm shopping around for a new/used trailer.

back in October mine got ripped off/stolen/bamboozled/purloined/pilfered/poached/snatched, so I need a replacement.

I'm fairly particular, depending on price.
but must have:
steel deck
brakes on at least one axle, two is best
dove tail, prefer 4' but may consider 3' or less depending on ramp lengths
rear slide in ramps
fender heights low enough to open car door without climbing in/out window (forget height from deck, 8"?)
18' or 20' deck, including dove tail. I haven't decided. my last was 18' and at times I wished it were a tad longer.

a good solid trailer is preferred, but maybe not new. I also use it to dump landscaping materials, rock, dirt, pick up steel, move equipment etc. and will be stored outside so a brand new nice trailer will get pretty dinged up and i prefer to avoid that kind of psychological damage to a pretty trailer... unless you know of a smokin' deal on a new one (102 Iron Work's Challenger looks real nice)

let me know by way of email.
morgan.
dawdy
@
yahoo.
com

Fbody383
01-04-2019, 12:20 PM
Get a 20'

Has to be a heavy, expensive steel deck version?

y5e06
01-05-2019, 11:39 AM
Has to be a heavy, expensive steel deck version?

Yes, please!

I'd look at light, really expensive aluminum version but I'm not sure it would hold up to my non-vehicle hauling services.

Supercharged111
01-05-2019, 08:41 PM
What would you haul on that thing that's heavier than a car?

Fbody383
01-06-2019, 11:40 PM
I was just wondering why wood was out, that's all. I was truck limited and didn't want the extra weight.

y5e06
01-08-2019, 10:56 AM
wood has a limited life span. It can be damaged, rots, soaks with water... and gives splinters! the steel deck is much more robust. My last trailer was 15+ years old & steel deck and I didn't have to replace the wood deck once and was seemingly indestructible. but also non auto items are easier to slide around, move, position, blah blah blah. also, I haven't seen a wood one with a dovetail longer than 2', usually they are really short. steel decks can often be found with 4' tails, makes loading really nice.
... I just want a steel deck one. but maybe if a really good but cheap wood one comes along I'd consider it.