PDA

View Full Version : Dirt Track and Karting

mach1
07-30-2019, 03:37 PM
Hey guys, just curious as to why ya'll picked something like CMC compared to running on the dirt or karting? The drives and weekend commitments/money around road racing are getting harder and karting/dirt are sounding more attractive.
Waking up Saturday and saying, let's go racing tonight boys sounds pretty nice.

ShadowBolt
07-30-2019, 03:49 PM
Hey guys, just curious as to why ya'll picked something like CMC compared to running on the dirt or karting? The drives and weekend commitments/money around road racing are getting harder and karting/dirt are sounding more attractive.
Waking up Saturday and saying, let's go racing tonight boys sounds pretty nice.

I'm all for running at a dirt track (Waco) but I'm too fat for a go-cart. When I was a single man I helped a guy with a asphalt hobby stock car at Paramount Austin Speedway (1977). He let me take the car out in a trophy dash once for helping him and it was a blast. There were no driving suits at that time in Hobby stock so they assumed he was driving. I can tell you later they opened a dirt track in Georgetown and he spend all his time beating out all the damage from the previous weeks race.

Jerry

drecords
07-30-2019, 08:52 PM
I'm very interested in dirt track racing, have always road raced and just never tried it. Have been having a blast on iRacing doing dirt stuff ...

mach1
07-30-2019, 10:39 PM
I'm very interested in dirt track racing, have always road raced and just never tried it. Have been having a blast on iRacing doing dirt stuff ...

Have you ever seen it in person? It's amazing

Sook
07-31-2019, 08:58 AM

What's the typical cost (build/buy) of a competitive dirt car? In my limited experience the correct answer when talking about cost with any race car is "all of it."

Can't beat the camaraderie in CMC, which is the main reason I think most of us are here. Cost of entry is still high (compared to something like golf), but lower than most other road racing classes.

- Josh

Trublu
07-31-2019, 09:49 AM
I very nearly went sprint car racing before I went to CMC. Grew up watching dirt oval racing and I still love it. Need to bring your street fighting skills.....

ShadowBolt
07-31-2019, 10:21 AM
I very nearly went sprint car racing before I went to CMC. Grew up watching dirt oval racing and I still love it. Need to bring your street fighting skills.....

I went to high school with a guy (Donnie Moore) that was fast in everything he touched. He raced motocross (like I did) but he was one of the fastest in Texas. Then after high school he raced every kind of car on every dirt track in Texas. He also is one of the best race car builders around but when he got a ride driving a Sprint Car and flipped it eight times he said no way would he ever get in one of those things again.
Smiley Sitton used to have a deal where you could go take a few laps in a sprint car and I always wanted to do it. I don't see it on his web site anymore. http://www.outlawdrivingschool.com/classes.html

JJ

mach1
07-31-2019, 01:22 PM
I went to high school with a guy (Donnie Moore) that was fast in everything he touched. He raced motocross (like I did) but he was one of the fastest in Texas. Then after high school he raced every kind of car on every dirt track in Texas. He also is one of the best race car builders around but when he got a ride driving a Sprint Car and flipped it eight times he said no way would he ever get in one of those things again.
Smiley Sitton used to have a deal where you could go take a few laps in a sprint car and I always wanted to do it. I don't see it on his web site anymore. http://www.outlawdrivingschool.com/classes.html

JJ

yeah, sprint cars scare me, I was thinking a limited modified, they go for around $10k

centerville
07-31-2019, 09:20 PM
I started with a kart. Back could not take the pounding of no suspension. Karting is the most cost effective way to race and go scary fast if you want to. But you can still spend a fortune if you want to.

I spent my 20's with 2 friends who raced dirt track cars. A lot of time spent repairing attrition. CMC has nothing on the stuff we were doing every weekend to repair cars. Street fighter mentality is an understatement, at least back then. Lots of major feuds too. Cost is still in the consumables not vehicles.

What about legends cars? I know nothing about cost really.

AllZWay
08-01-2019, 08:27 AM
I raced dirt for several years and absolutely love it.. still may return. Dirt racing has some issues though...

1. Cost.. it is not the cost of the car, or the racing, but the cost of the engines. Even the lowest slowest stock car classes are now running $10,000 engines if you want to be competitive.
2. Time... You work on the car non-stop, Sunday through Saturday, to do it all over again the next week.

CMC was a great class that you could race with an inexpensive car and be competitive. Initially I started racing CMC in a car I spent roughly $8,500 building and it was competitive, albeit a budget built car. Even factoring in traveling and registrations, I was still spending half of what I was spending racing dirt with the track within 10 miles of my house.

I personally feel, CMC has moved away from the original intent and is getting too costly as well, but it still cheaper than most other types of racing.

I never karted, but looks fun... but for me still a travel to anyplace.

I have rented Legends cars and had a blast.... even slightly considered buying in, but after talking with some folks the issues of torn up cars and Miata like engine builds made me decide not too look much farther into it.

I might would consider Spec Corvette, but haven't dug much into those cars yet either.

AllZWay
08-01-2019, 08:31 AM
yeah, sprint cars scare me, I was thinking a limited modified, they go for around $10k

Yep.. no sprint cars for me. I would like to drive one, but I don't think I have what it takes to not think about flipping those things.. they don't wreck gracefully.

Dirt cars are really pretty cheap.. I see stock cars daily race ready for 5-10k depending on how nice. I see the limited mods and even some IMCA mods in the 10-20 range.

The buy in is not bad at all.. it is the engine cost that are so outrageous.

Supercharged111
08-01-2019, 09:22 AM
And the fact that those engines don't last forever. I rebuilt my LT1 for about $800 back in 2015, had to replace the rotating assembly. It burns a little more oil now, just ask John, but still makes the numbers.

BryanL
08-01-2019, 09:38 AM
I know little about the dirt world but loved a trip to Devil's Bowl for I think World of Outlaws or Sprints but they also had other classes waiting to come on track before the other cars were off-non stop racing for spectators.
From the looks the sprint cars are heavily supported operations with 18 wheelers, teams, $50-100k motors so budgets appear to be $100-1 myn I'm guessing.

My exposure to dirt was around 2000 when a neighbor bankrolled his son in IMCA Modified and it sounded like a circus. I was over there enough and heard enough stories to stay away. But here are the bullet points

-Worked on the car every night during the week with several guys working. Fixing wreck/broken, checking everything, and generally a motor pull/change, etc. It was crazy the time they spent but all single guys with a some drugs and alcohol mixed in.
-The rules and enforcement were ludicrous. They may go to a big money race and put in a $15k motor only to get their motor claimed. Then they were running a two barrel class and lost to a car with a 4 barrel but the track didn't enforce it.
-Of course that resulted in a fight. Common for a member of their team to get banned from a track. Lots of feuds between teams/drivers, etc. They all sounded willing to sacrifice their car to takeout someone else and nothing illegal it seemed.
-My understanding is when their car was on track they had to leave someone at the trailer to make sure tools/parts didn't get stolen.

Needless to say when I started looking at racing dirt didn't hit my radar. I was brought up going to the dragstrip and went there first as some of the newer heads up classes really appealed to me. I went to the track, met some guys, looked at the rules, and it was clear that every class became a wallet class. Meaning even in the lower classes that was an iron head nitrous class it was still who spent the most money and generally on the motor. I think it's why you see so many engine builders as drag racers.

I hear you James on CMC but I still think it's the most budget friendly to have a competitive car on the podium. The brakes aren't bad in the long run it's the tire program that is killing it now. Spec Vette looks cool but the buy in is many times that of CMC as they have some high dollar spec parts and I don't know enough about the torque tube issue and the drivetrain. They do have a tire program that probably makes up for the initial buy in after 3-5 years.

mach1
08-01-2019, 09:54 AM
Good info guys! Looks fun but very demanding and scandalous.

AllZWay
08-01-2019, 10:05 AM
And the fact that those engines don't last forever. I rebuilt my LT1 for about $800 back in 2015, had to replace the rotating assembly. It burns a little more oil now, just ask John, but still makes the numbers.

Excactly.. One year I bought a built 383 stroker and paid roughly $5000 for it... it made it three nights before it grenaded. There are no warranties on racing engines.

Brian.. for the most part the engine claiming has gone way.. for IMCA I think they have a swap rule, but it isn't used anymore.

Oddly though.. this is partly what has driven up the engine costs. When IMCA had a $450 claim rule, you didn't run a $10k engine.. you ran a $2500 engine. A pretty successful racer I knew was claimed 4 times in one year... and he would tell you that was still less expensive than the no claims now days.

BryanL
08-01-2019, 04:39 PM
Good info guys! Looks fun but very demanding and scandalous.

Well my relayed info. was from a long time ago and the stories also sounded like the people I knew were crazy as well. Maybe the big money races weren't claims. Like we would tell someone looking at CMC or whatever. Go to a few races, look around, talk to some people and your going to have a feel for what kind of fun and costs to expect. Look at the cars before/after and ask them how much time they spent on the car since the last race.

I have seen a groupon for a dirt track driving experience with a few different cars-thinking it was Kenny Wallace.

Interesting info about claims james. I would like to think that spending more money on the motor would help them last longer but I don't know. I can only guess why they don't last is in the dirt and spinning your sitting on the rev limiter most of the race?

drecords
08-01-2019, 04:40 PM

105 speedway is the closest track to us and we probably make it out for the races once a quarter or so. We love it, carry your cooler in, cheap hotdogs/hamburgers/food and about as much racing as you can stand to watch. Lots of fun -- we got a group together and did my 30th birthday last year at the dirt track. They let me wave the green flag for the limited modifieds race since it was my birthday and I definitely tired to bring the flagman a beer, but he declined since he was a hard working professional.

I've had a honda 125cc shifter kart for longer than I've had the CMC car -- it has never run and is still being put back together from having the frame painted, I'll get to it one day.

BryanL
08-01-2019, 04:40 PM
https://dirtracewithkenny.com/

drecords
08-01-2019, 07:36 PM

Probably going to do that to scratch that itch before I get too deep in a new road race build.

mach1
08-01-2019, 08:06 PM

Fantastic thanks!

ShadowBolt
08-02-2019, 07:40 AM
Oct. 26th and 27th Devil's Bowl Speedway. We should get a group and go together.

JJ

drecords
08-02-2019, 09:02 AM
Oct. 26th and 27th Devil's Bowl Speedway. We should get a group and go together.

JJ

In

Trublu
08-02-2019, 06:53 PM
In

In

ShadowBolt
08-02-2019, 07:44 PM
If we can get 10 people committed to going I will call them and see if we can get a deal. I would like either 10 laps in a 305 sprint only or 10 laps in a modified then 10 in a sprint car. Maybe even three laps riding with a pro.

JJ

ShadowBolt
08-02-2019, 07:53 PM
Just looking at he web site what I want to do may cost way too much.

JJ

JJordan
08-03-2019, 08:14 AM
This looks fun: https://rallyready.com/

-Jay

Cody Powell
08-03-2019, 10:57 AM
In

drecords
08-03-2019, 09:39 PM
If we can get 10 people committed to going I will call them and see if we can get a deal. I would like either 10 laps in a 305 sprint only or 10 laps in a modified then 10 in a sprint car. Maybe even three laps riding with a pro.

JJ

I vote 305 Sprint. Im committed and have spousal approval to spend money on this and be gone that weekend

ShadowBolt
08-05-2019, 09:50 AM
I e-mailed them about a group discount. I would think we could get 8 to 10 guys. I will let you know what they come back with.

Jerry

mach1
08-05-2019, 11:18 AM
In!

AllZWay
08-05-2019, 05:14 PM
Too early to commit, but I probably could go one night.

centerville
08-05-2019, 10:12 PM
Dallas Karting Complex is not very far from Devils bowl. Just sayin.

drecords
08-05-2019, 11:08 PM
Dallas Karting Complex is not very far from Devils bowl. Just sayin.

I like where this is going

Fbody383
08-06-2019, 07:27 PM
Are those single or double point events?

Al Fernandez
08-07-2019, 11:58 AM
Yeah I’d do that

On a different topic...why not group together for weeknight kart races with their hardware like the leagues speesportz does? Granted his would be houston or Dallas only...

drecords
08-07-2019, 04:45 PM
Yeah I’d do that

On a different topic...why not group together for weeknight kart races with their hardware like the leagues speesportz does? Granted his would be houston or Dallas only...

Speedsportz starts back up here soon on 8/21

https://speedsportzracingpark.com/race/league-racers

Al Fernandez
08-09-2019, 09:42 AM
I’ll still be in Perth that week but I’d be interested in trying it out. Maybe the right thing is to decide a couple of nights for us guys to try it out and see?

ShadowBolt
08-12-2019, 01:22 PM
So far no reply to my e-mail I sent to the Kenny Wallace deal.

This does look like fun (watch until the end this guy gets a lot faster late in the video) so I think I'm going to contact Smiley and see if they would put something together for us.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMAbnLsi5zQ

JJ

Supercharged111
08-12-2019, 10:46 PM
I’ll still be in Perth that week but I’d be interested in trying it out. Maybe the right thing is to decide a couple of nights for us guys to try it out and see?

I think if you're in Perth, Australia that the right thing to do is bring me with next time. :D