PDA

View Full Version : Qual/Race in the Rain? Not here......

Mike Bell
10-30-2006, 10:50 AM
So far in my brief NASA TX racing career (yeah, it's a career now lol) I've only been out on a wet track twice. Both times it was not during a race, once in practice at Cresson while it was raining cats and dogs, once last event during the Sunday qual session.

First time I was in the AI car at my first or second event, after 2 laps of that crap I brought the car in - Mike Patterson sticks his head in the window and asks "What's wrong?" lol. I gave him my best "Are you F#$@^&* crazy?" look and went back to the paddock, water still dripping off my helmet. No way I could drive in that mess.

This past event I noticed several experienced CMC drivers elected not to qual in the rain. One told me "I dont' need to wreck my car trying to qualify." I had no such reservations, till I hit the track. Jeesh, it was brutal even at my reduced HP level. Even the "egg under the throttle" wasn't ginger enough to keep the rears from breaking loose. I realize some had a set of full treads out there, but for me it was pretty much a wasted effort. I kept trying to stay off the dry line but seemed to be all over it at every corner. Talk about where the inept meets the difficult.

I can't imagine actually having to race anyone on a wet track. I can't see a way to get there from here - is it just an lack of experience or a permanent condition? I guess for now I'll join the "skip it" group for fear of doing some real damage to myself or a fellow competitor. Those with the bigger juevos or big brass ones can jump all over me for it, but at my age I dont' really react to the "grow a pair" arguement anymore lol.

macstang
10-30-2006, 11:13 AM
I once heard from an experienced driver "wet track time is very valuable-we don't get it often, and it really helps improve your driving"

That being said, I went out during qual, didn't have rain tires on, and didn't run any super times. But when I look back on the session, the first lap compared to the last lap, there was a huge difference as far as smoothness, comfort, and pucker factor. I didn't have to make a decision as far as "race or not" in the rain, and I'm glad. even if I just drove at the back of the pack or further back, I still would have gained that "wet track time".

I didn't get any of that wet track time at Nationals like the others did, so I don't have much of it in my "career" either.

Just my $.02

jeffburch
10-30-2006, 11:14 AM
Treaded tires help.
I was too lazy to put mine on for qual.
I woulda had to swap them again for the race.
I have limited time in the rain also.
Like slideways in the dirt it helps your driving on dry asphalt.
In the end, it gave me a good grid spot for a 3rd in R3.
Had I not been running for overall points, I woulda wussed out aswell.

jb

AI#97
10-30-2006, 11:44 AM
Mike...I too always had a creedo that I would not put the car on the track in the wet in fear of wadding it up for no reason. My only experience in the wet has been a few autox's on really slick asphalt and the early morning session on MSRH during the SCMC event last november.

In August at TWS, it poured 15 minutes before grid in Race 3. Knowing I was locked in a points battle, I stayed on grid with 4/32 toyos and told myself "I am on pole, nobody here is stupid, so just don't go off and I will be fine." Well, pucker factor settled in diving into turn one at 130mph!! I hated the first lap and damn near lost the car coming out of turn 4 but kept my head stayed with it. After seeing Micah off during lap 3, I had not realized he rolled the car and just thought he was stuck....but, I still worked on being smooth and working a "better" line while trying to remember the puddle at apex before larry, mo and curly! :shock:

anyway, the wise person Gerry mentioned was right. Driving in the rain makes you a better driver. For Qual on sunday, I went to the 5/32 toyos I used for Saturday qual on the front and left the "seasoned" toyos on the rear as I just didn't have time to change them. Houston is actually not bad in the wet and the concrete sections actually proved to have grip. I still had serious issues with traction but after a lap or two I was able to real the driver back in a bit and work on smoothness. Overall, I did well once I settled down and actually qualified only 1/2 second behind Jay Matus in the WRX STI for second overall. Granted, the ABS and downforce helped but seat time in the car in the wet has proven to be wonderful experience for me.

Overall, I would say stick with what you are comfortable with but don't totally dismiss running in the rain. Try it some time and get comfortable with it and you might just end up liking. I am sort of to the point now having had two successful sessions in the rain and damp tracks that I sort of welcome it as an equalizer!!! 8)

GlennCMC70
10-30-2006, 11:52 AM
i have tons of track time in the wet mostly in part to my crappy luck in my HPDE years. i have most of it @ Cresson in both directions and some @ TWS and a day @ Mid Ohio.
treaded tires are not the magic fix. Darron had full treads on too durring qual. there was still a big gap between me and him. you have to know the track and when/where your gonna cross the dry line. it takes a totally different driving style. you should never pass up a chance to drive in the wet. it magnifies your weak points and bad habits. if you learn to be smooth in the wet, you will be even smoother in the dry.

by the way, full treads are only an advantage w/ standing water. a wet track can be driven the same w/ slicks or rains.

CMC17
10-30-2006, 11:58 AM
I looked at qualifying in the rain as a challenge. I am probably one of the few that has never raced or qualified in the rain... ever. It was time that I "try" it and see what everyone is talking about. lol

It definitely wasn't easy at first and didn't get much easier towards the end. However, I learned a lot while visiting each side of the boundries more than once. With a few more laps out there, I'm confident I could have been up front with the guys using rain tires (1 sec off the 2nd place qualifier w/rains).

I tried the "wet" and "dry" lines and found a combination of the two was starting to work really well as the session ended. I've always looked up at Mt. Everest and wondered what it would be like to try climbing it. Same goes for running in the wet. First time I have ever ventured onto a wet course.

Fun? Nope, not at all. Educational? You bet! I'm just glad my wipers still work. :lol:

Not that I want to try and "race" in the rain though. lol Especially with Grp 8

macstang
10-30-2006, 12:18 PM

GRP 8 is a sore spot for me this time...

I had a Porsche drive right into me while re entering the track after an off. I was in a close race with TC at the time, and had already let the Porsche go around to reduce the number of factors I had to keep track of.

BTW, he hit Misty in the same race.....

AllZWay
10-30-2006, 02:28 PM
I don't have any experience racing in the rain but a ton of HPDE at MSRC.

I hate it big time, but I did always go out in the HPDE's for the "experience". You can really get better with more practice.

AI#97
10-30-2006, 02:42 PM

I had a Porsche drive right into me while re entering the track after an off. I was in a close race with TC at the time, and had already let the Porsche go around to reduce the number of factors I had to keep track of.

If you haven't already, please bring this information to Clifton so something can be done about it. Don't assume he knows anything because he might not be aware of it.

Also, if Glenn has as much rain experience at Cresson as he says...then that would explain his qual time! :shock: Kudos!

mitchntx
10-30-2006, 04:33 PM
A few years ago Glenn, Nick James, Chris Burton and I were running Cresson in a torrent, clockwise.

One of the guys there was a Richland Hills police officer with a new Z28 pursuit vehicle. Man was he talking some tripe on the internet prior to the event.

I know I lapped him twice in a 25 minute session. The last time by, he turned on his lights and siren. :roll:

After the session, I walked over to him and said "That radio doesn't do you much good out there, does it?"

He lived down the street from Nick and said he had dashcam video. But he never produced it ...

He packed up and left.

And I think Chris still owns the record for the furthest off. He went off entering Big bend (clockwise) and finished sliding out there next to a small mesquite tree by the fence.

It was a fun, fun weekend.

GlennCMC70
10-30-2006, 04:35 PM
i learned to drive in the wet w/ that 98 Z28 i have thats a 3600-3800 lb street car w/ 450 rwhp and on 315 Nitto Drags on the rear!

AllZWay
10-30-2006, 05:26 PM
We actually did the one weekend and then another single day... so at least 3 full days of wet driving.

mitchntx
10-30-2006, 06:36 PM
What was funny was to watch the lead car get way outa shape and then see all the cars following scatter like cockroaches ...

That image is still drilled into my brain ...

AI#97
10-30-2006, 06:50 PM
i learned to drive in the wet w/ that 98 Z28 i have thats a 3600-3800 lb street car w/ 450 rwhp and on 315 Nitto Drags on the rear!

Put a restrictor on it and run AI!!! :lol:

Just kidding! I probably learned the same way horsing around in my car, truck or just about anything that could get sideways in the rain! Hell, I still do it my truck when I get the chance...even in the dry! :wink:

GlennCMC70
10-30-2006, 07:03 PM
i just may run in AI trim next year if i find myself out of the points battle.

AllZWay
10-30-2006, 08:18 PM
What was funny was to watch the lead car get way outa shape and then see all the cars following scatter like cockroaches ...

That image is still drilled into my brain ...
Quit making fun of me..... :P I needed a 4x4 for that one day I was off track so often. :oops:

cmarvel
10-30-2006, 11:07 PM
Hey Mitch, I think the cop in the Camaro was actually my student.

I like rain, but then again I grew up in snow country. Possibly an unfair advantage. I do beleive you will improve your technique and your feel for what the contact patch is doing.

One more thing, soften your rear shocks as much as you can. Use softer springs if you have them. Tread really only helps when there is standing water on the track, so don't fear going out on a drying track with very little tread. When you get a good setup for the wet, write it down. You would be shocked how much difference it makes. We mostly focus on getting power down.

If MSRC is your only experience in the rain, take hart. That is by far the hardest track I know of to drive in the wet. Most of the others are not that bad.

macstang
10-30-2006, 11:16 PM

If you haven't already, please bring this information to Clifton so something can be done about it. Don't assume he knows anything because he might not be aware of it.

I did file a contact form and left it with Tech as I was told. Also had words with said Porsche driver. TC and I couldnt convince him that he was at fault, but he did come and apologize later, a few hours.

Clifton, do you see this????

GlennCMC70
10-31-2006, 12:26 AM
was this the #55 guy? if so, thats the one who was a lap down in GPC and wanted to race me and Jeff in the R2 vid.

jeffburch
10-31-2006, 05:28 AM
Well, don't go all Sgt. Carter on him.
I kinda dive bombed his ass in T3.
Marvin Weidner.....Eyewitness News!

jb

macstang
10-31-2006, 08:31 AM
I believe the car was 8.

Waco Racer
10-31-2006, 10:12 AM

I did file a contact form and left it with Tech as I was told. Also had words with said Porsche driver. TC and I couldnt convince him that he was at fault, but he did come and apologize later, a few hours.

Which race was this? On Sunday?

mitchntx
10-31-2006, 01:08 PM
Hey Mitch, I think the cop in the Camaro was actually my student.

the cop's name was Chris. His partner was Dave, I blieve.

This was the weekend that Verges (I think) had his Lambo out there just smoking everyone in the wet.

cmarvel
10-31-2006, 04:55 PM
Actually, if I remember correctly his partner's name was Ty.

oz98cobra
10-31-2006, 05:58 PM
I like driving or racing in the rain - and I'm usually pretty good in those conditions - but I couldn't come close to Glenn's time during qual at MSRH! I dare say I could have notched it up a couple more seconds a lap if I needed to, but I was just trying to post a time to put me somewhere near the front without risking putting it out in the weeds....another 6 seconds would have been a very tall order though! :shock:

As it turned out, I was happy to qualify behind Glenn - gave me the hole shot into the carosell in the race ;)

Chris makes a good point about changing car setup for the wet - we had Adam's car setup fairly tight this year, which works well at MSRC, Houston and TWS in the dry - but not so good in the wet or at Hallett. I was really struggling to get traction during qualifying, even with the full treads - if the forecast was for rain later in the day, I would have removed the rear bar and hopefully found a few more seconds. Tire pressures are another area that can make a big difference - but how do you know where to set these without testing experience in the rain? All the more reason to try to get a wet DE to go play at and see what works for you.

I think confidence is the single biggest factor though - if you think you are going to be slow in the wet, you will be slow for sure - you have to crank it up, get the car sliding around, be smooth with your inputs, and trust your car control abilities to keep it pointing the right way.

GlennCMC70
10-31-2006, 06:16 PM
maybe i should disconnect the rear sway bar next time. i made ZERO changes to my car except for the full treads. bumped cold pressures about 3-4 PSI.
driving style change was to just be up 1 gear from that you would be in durring the dry. dont downshift till just before corner track OUT. when you need to shift up, short so it lugs the motor once the gear change is done. basically, drive it like it has a broken valve spring and your just tring to get 20 minutes out of it.
if the fear of getting stuck was not an issue, i think i could have gotten another 1-2 seconds out of what i had.

oh, and K-mix gave me some good tips just before i went out. thanks buddy. :wink:

CMC17
10-31-2006, 07:45 PM
I definitely have room for improvement in the rain. lol Hopefully I can take 10-15 seconds off my dismal qual time if I get the chance again. First time is always an adventure and didn't find controlling the car difficult, but was very hesitant to go full throttle at any point on the track. Not next time though! 8)

Kudos to those that have lots of experience in that stuff. I'm not a virgin at it anymore and know what to expect next time. :D

mitchntx
10-31-2006, 08:41 PM
It has to be a little spooky in those short wheel-base cars and all that unrestricted horsepower.

MikeP99Z
10-31-2006, 09:42 PM
LOL - Get your ass back out there Bell.

Glenn - don't do that...

Mike Bell
11-01-2006, 06:54 AM

No! It's too scary out there....................................... :lol: :lol:

AI#97
11-01-2006, 11:18 AM

No! It's too scary out there....................................... :lol: :lol:

Your case of feminine napkins is being drop shipped per your request in the other thread! :P :lol:

Give it a try at your comfort level mike and work your way up to being faster. Like I said, nobody here is going to do anything stupid in the wet because they don't want body damage any more than you.

Mike Bell
11-01-2006, 11:26 AM
Maxi please, there's alot of, well, u get the picture.

jeffburch
11-01-2006, 11:40 AM
If it bleeds it leads.

jb

AI#97
11-01-2006, 02:51 PM
If it bleeds it leads.

jb

were you in first at TWS when you cut your head? :wink:

CMC17
11-01-2006, 03:13 PM
If it bleeds it leads.

jb

If It Bleeds, It Leads: An Anatomy of Television News

Yup. :D

jeffburch
11-01-2006, 04:12 PM
Yes, won it with no 3rd gear remember?

I had to pull a few strings.....yuk yuk LOL!
jb

michaelmosty
11-01-2006, 05:27 PM

jb
WOW!! :lol:

AI#97
11-01-2006, 06:54 PM

jb

Not really. I do remember a bunch of EMT's shitting themselves and then the sudden urge to bathe in ice and lay down myself! Those guys were freaking out and I see you standing there with an oily rag on your head! Funny stuff!!!! :lol: sorry, I did miss the string pulling event though. :shock:

jeffburch
11-01-2006, 10:50 PM
The string pull is another joke in bad taste from the feminin hygene crap above.

And once again, the drama wasn't of my intentional doing.
I refused service so the show could go on.
I had to tell everyone to move the friggin car off the scales and get everything going back to normal.
If I had taken that meat wagon ya'll woulda waited for a replacement.

jb

macstang
11-02-2006, 12:18 AM

Which race was this? On Sunday?

R3 sunday

Mike Bell
11-02-2006, 07:20 AM
So, Maxi-pad portion aside, from what I'm reading few of us have wet RACING experience, several have wet OT or Qual experience, and most everyone agrees it is good for you, makes your muscles strong, improves eyesight and enhances sexual prowess?

CMC17
11-02-2006, 08:08 AM
....makes your muscles strong, improves eyesight and enhances sexual prowess?

Two out of three isn't bad for me then. :D

However, the lap record was broken right after the wet qualifying. There just might be something to all of this jabber regarding wet conditions and driving in it to make for a better driver. No?

GlennCMC70
11-02-2006, 08:47 AM

However, the lap record was broken right after the wet qualifying. There just might be something to all of this jabber regarding wet conditions and driving in it to make for a better driver. No?

well that or it was the GT-40 parts. :wink:

CMC17
11-02-2006, 09:16 AM

well that or it was the GT-40 parts. :wink:

Ok, you got me there. CMC17's 227hp/279tq is on the bleeding edge. ;) Just wait until I fix that problem over the winter. 1:47's here we come. 8) :lol:

GlennCMC70
11-02-2006, 09:38 AM
yep, you got me on HP and i have 5ft lbs of tq on you. but that 5ft lbs is @ 2000 RPM's.

you cant say that stuff didnt make a difference. you dropped the track record by .7xx seconds. in the same race i dropped it .1xx seconds. this was the first time since my shock upgrade i have run this track, so i'll mark my lap time drop to that.

i'm not saying you guys shouldnt run the parts. i'm saying, it looks like they helped.

Mike Bell
11-02-2006, 09:54 AM
i'm not saying you guys shouldnt run the parts. i'm saying, it looks like they helped.

Good, I hope it was all due to the parts!!! I've got them all in the garage now, waiting to be installed. ;)

CMC17
11-02-2006, 09:57 AM
yep, you got me on HP and i have 5ft lbs of tq on you. but that 5ft lbs is @ 2000 RPM's.

you cant say that stuff didnt make a difference. you dropped the track record by .7xx seconds. in the same race i dropped it .1xx seconds. this was the first time since my shock upgrade i have run this track, so i'll mark my lap time drop to that.

A little inside information that I really shouldn't pass along, but here we go.

I've worked a lot on the suspension and getting it tweaked for MSR-H. I had some outside help that found many things wrong with the geometry and we fixed that problem along with many other issues. I cannot contribute blasting the current lap record out of the water by power alone. The current power level is just a smidge higher than the last time I ran at MSR-H. HP/TQ curves are identical since I compared them while at the dyno.

In the videos you can plainly see I was hard pressed to reach parity in the straights with just about everyone (sorry Mike) out there. What many fail to realize is where I am able to make up gobs of time and it's definitely not under full power (unless I catch them with a good corner exit launch). I can list car numbers and what they are doing wrong and where they can pick up quite a bit of time. But, I doubt if I will release that information. ;)

We all have lots to learn out there and I just want to set the record straight regarding power vs. suspension illusion. Don't let GT-40 overshadow driving prowess err.... suspension setup.

mitchntx
11-02-2006, 10:28 AM
Eric, I have always been impressed with how quickly you pick up the throttle. Your corner exit speed is very impressive.

I also notice the same thing about Jeff ...

CMC17
11-02-2006, 10:42 AM
Eric, I have always been impressed with how quickly you pick up the throttle. Your corner exit speed is very impressive.

I also notice the same thing about Jeff ...

Thanks, Mitch. :D

JB and I laugh about one turn in particular (MSR-H) that he's able to really get a great launch off of and most of the time I cannot match it no matter how hard I try. He's passed me there many many times and I tip my hat his way for being able to pull it off.

What might look like lots of power in a straight is actually the result of getting on the gas sooner than the person in front or behind. Took me a while to realize this and definitely have room from improvement (me).

Mitch, I still remember the NPR race and you drove an outstanding race!! I was shaking the magic-8 ball hard to try and come up with a solution to get around the white #9! props man!!

GlennCMC70
11-02-2006, 10:44 AM
and i was wrong. i ran Houston in May w/ the new shocks.

anyways. dont take my comments as a jab.
i do agree most, including me, are leaving a ton of time on the table out there. i'll take your thoughts on where i can make up time in a PM please. :wink:

i have yet to get a chance to follow you around this track. it seems there is always something that gets us separated rather quickly w/ in a half a lap.
i look forward to the chance in '07.

mitchntx
11-02-2006, 10:47 AM
Mitch, I still remember the NPR race and you drove an outstanding race!! I was shaking the magic-8 ball hard to try and come up with a solution to get around the white #9! props man!!

no, no, no ... you schooled me that day.

And for what ever reason, like you said, I was able to pick up the throttle sooner exiting onto the straight.

Big Ben at MSR-H is another place you pick up the throttle really early. I learned that trick from watching you and was able to get around Scott once doing the EV move.

oz98cobra
11-02-2006, 03:53 PM

I've worked a lot on the suspension and getting it tweaked for MSR-H. I had some outside help that found many things wrong with the geometry and we fixed that problem along with many other issues. I cannot contribute blasting the current lap record out of the water by power alone. The current power level is just a smidge higher than the last time I ran at MSR-H. HP/TQ curves are identical since I compared them while at the dyno.

In the videos you can plainly see I was hard pressed to reach parity in the straights with just about everyone (sorry Mike) out there. What many fail to realize is where I am able to make up gobs of time and it's definitely not under full power (unless I catch them with a good corner exit launch). I can list car numbers and what they are doing wrong and where they can pick up quite a bit of time. But, I doubt if I will release that information. ;)

We all have lots to learn out there and I just want to set the record straight regarding power vs. suspension illusion. Don't let GT-40 overshadow driving prowess err.... suspension setup.

Couple of observations Eric ... firstly, I am the first to acknowledge that suspension and driver are worth way more than power, and too many people jump to the wrong conclusions - it happened with CMC#5 earlier this year when we fixed the suspension and the drivers without even so much as wiping the dirt off the engine that hadn't been touched for 2 seasons - and yet folks who ought to know better decided that we must have been messing around under the hood because a previously midfield car was now finishing a lot closer to the front.

But having said that, are you trying to tell us that switching from a stock 5.0 HO setup to a GT 40/Cobra setup is not worth more "than just a few HP" - and that the dyno curves are identicle? - gimme a break - either you had something going on in your previous motor, or the setup you were running at MSRH was seriously hobbled ... (you did mention something about 5200rpms but I can't remember what?).

Seeing the lap time you laid down, perhaps the "outside help" you had was from that Griffith the Turd fella who cleaned up at the nationals? ;)

A wiley old fox is Mr Shuvarner - even it's as black as the ace of spades he will put on a straight face and try to convince us all that it's really red ... really it is...

mitchntx
11-02-2006, 04:31 PM
WHAT?

You mean someone in our CMC/AI/AIX midst is cunning, devious and can't be trusted?

I'm feeling a little faint ...

http://jimburgessdesign.com/comics/images/news_pics/passed_out_cat.jpg

CMC17
11-02-2006, 04:32 PM

Couple of observations Eric ... firstly, I am the first to acknowledge that suspension and driver are worth way more than power, and too many people jump to the wrong conclusions - it happened with CMC#5 earlier this year when we fixed the suspension and the drivers without even so much as wiping the dirt off the engine that hadn't been touched for 2 seasons - and yet folks who ought to know better decided that we must have been messing around under the hood because a previously midfield car was now finishing a lot closer to the front.

But having said that, are you trying to tell us that switching from a stock 5.0 HO setup to a GT 40/Cobra setup is not worth more "than just a few HP" - and that the dyno curves are identicle? - gimme a break - either you had something going on in your previous motor, or the setup you were running at MSRH was seriously hobbled ... (you did mention something about 5200rpms but I can't remember what?).

Seeing the lap time you laid down, perhaps the "outside help" you had was from that Griffith the Turd fella who cleaned up at the nationals? ;)

A wiley old fox is Mr Shuvarner - even it's as black as the ace of spades he will put on a straight face and try to convince us all that it's really red ... really it is...

Call it bad luck, bad juju or whatever, but I've had nothing but motor problems since beginning the quest to try and achieve 230/300 (pot'o'gold). Four motors later, it would seem that I am stuck on the same set of numbers no matter what. It's very depressing and I it's probably just me that is at fault. I can build a 610rwhp daily driver w/AC, but can't seem to find the magic in putting together a 230/300 motor. Yes, very painful and I'm not about to spend anymore money chasing the white rabbit.

I haven't touched the car since the event and if anyone wants to put up the dyno fee to take a look at the numbers and graph, I'm game anytime.

I agree the combo I'm running should be putting out more than enough and thought I would have to throttle it back a little to meet the numbers. Nope, not only does the motor not come close with the torque numbers, I cannot rev it over 5200 without the car feel like it's going to vibrate apart. None of my racing buds have heard of that problem and I was left with a huge issue if I went over 5200. I would have to lift until it stopped and then get back in the gas. At times, I wanted it to blow up so I can stop the madness.

If anyone wants to sell me their "stock" 230/300 motor, I will gladly trade in a heart beat. 1:47's would be quite easily obtained then.

Nah, it's not Griffith either. I have someone that I totally respect when it comes to Mustang suspensions that has helped here and there.

I'm out of motivation at this point since there is a problem and not knowing what the problem is, leaves me distressed once again. I'm concentrating on the video production at this time.

Nothing up either sleeve.... ever never.

mitchntx
11-02-2006, 04:44 PM
can't seem to find the magic in putting together a 230/300 motor.

You're just a junk yard pull out and a restrictor plate away, my friend.

Feel the force, Luke SkyVarner ... ah .. it is strong in this one.

http://www.humorhour.com/pictures/Je389rfh9f8f2f2at.jpg

CMC17
11-02-2006, 04:51 PM
ahahaha

Thanks, Mitch!! :D

Todd Covini
11-05-2006, 08:09 PM
True story for those in the "quest for the magic 230/300".

A long, long time ago, in a far, far away land there was an extremely handsome man with long flowing hair....ehhh...I'll get to the point.

When I came into the series with my street car I had a 70MM throttle body, ram-air, shorty headers and big honkin free-flowin exhaust. I lobbied hard for those parts because even with all of them, I wasn't exceeding 230/300 with my factory motor. Given I'm at a severe disadvantage with (car) weight and aero in a roadster, I tried to make the case that I needed these things to compete.

Well, after a short while running as an exception, I was ultimately forced to go stock. After each factory part was put back on the car, my #'s improved. I gained huge #s when I returned to factory headers and street mufflers. (Imagine my dismay...)

So...the moral of the story in CMC is that the go-fast parts aren't necessarily the cat's meow (sorry Mitch). 1 long day, 1 exhaust shop and 1 patient dyno operator and most everyone here can find the #'s they are looking for.

-=- Todd

PS- Confuse-us say, "He who sets track record, not necessarily winner". :wink:

Boudy
11-05-2006, 08:36 PM
A long, long time ago, in a far, far away land there was an extremely handsome man with long flowing hair....

I would hope to see the long flowing locks again... I still laugh when I think about sitting in the hotpits and wondering, "who in the hell is that mullet head?' Then I realized it was Slovini." Classic dude, that was classic.

Boudy

Boudy
11-05-2006, 08:44 PM
I'm tired of this whole 230/300 motor crap. Screw Cobra parts, I'm ditching my restrictor plate and running AI.

Boudy

AI#97
11-05-2006, 08:45 PM
I'm tired of this whole 230/300 motor crap. Screw Cobra parts, I'm ditching my restrictor plate and running AI.

Boudy

I knew you would come around!!! :wink:

first in a chain of many to follow!!!! :lol:

jeffburch
11-05-2006, 08:52 PM
OMG!
All you dudes crack me the hell UP.
Funny funny stuff!

Thanks for the entertainment.

jb