PDA

View Full Version : Oil Pickup Tube??

Mike Bell
11-02-2006, 04:43 PM
I'm trying to piece together a new motor out of some old parts, my old motor trashed the oil pickup tube when the rod flailed around - is this a specific part for SN95's?

There was no part number on it, in the summit catalog they sell a milodon part they say fits 90-95 302's perfectly (right!) but all the others I see for sale are specific to 79-93 Mustangs? Anyone have an idea on if I can grab pretty much any oil pickup tube to use with my stock SN95 oil pan? TIA!

jeffburch
11-02-2006, 06:58 PM
If it's a canton pan you may want theirs.

jb

CMC17
11-02-2006, 08:57 PM
AutoZone carries the pickup tube. That's where I purchased my last one. I don't think there's a difference between 94/95 and a 93 or earlier as long as it has the double hump oil pan.

mitchntx
11-02-2006, 11:15 PM
When did Autozone start carrying FoMoCo parts?

If I can't run a cheaper Autozone Borg/Warner coil because the rule says OEM electronics only, you can't put an after market oil pick up tube in your motor.

The rules don't specifically allow it. It is what it is ...

Notice no cat pictures on this one ... :x

Mike Bell
11-03-2006, 07:46 AM
JB: It's a stock Ford oil pan, not a Canton.

EV: What's double hump? Mine has a front drain plug and a rear drain plug, is that what you mean?

MW: There is NO FORD PART NUMBER ON THE PICKUP TUBE THAT CAME OUT OF MY CAR. That was the problem as described above in my first post, nuttin to take to the FORD parts guys and say "gimme one of these".

Note: NO smilies in this post.

CMC17
11-03-2006, 10:24 AM
I'm not sure what all this is about. A pickup tube is a pickup tube that has the same dimensions and specifications as "stock".

I take it that everyone buys their oil, spark plugs, windshield wipers, water, radiators, belts, steering wheels, brake pads, head gaskets, intake gaskets, spark plug wires, shocks, struts, seat, belts, restrictor plates, air filters, wheels, lug nuts, rotors, wheel bearings, gauges, electric fans and much more from either a General Motors or FoMoCo dealership?

Give me a f$@kin break. :roll:

MB: A double hump is the stock oil pan that has just what you described... a drain plug on the front and one at the rear on the bottom.

michaelmosty
11-03-2006, 10:57 AM
If I can't run a cheaper Autozone Borg/Warner coil because the rule says OEM electronics only, you can't put an after market oil pick up tube in your motor.

I have an AutoZone/O'Reily coil, plug wires, distributor, starter, and solenoid in my car that I have run since I built it. Have I been cheating since day 1?? Seriously, I hope this isn't true.
I am under the interpretation that they are reproduction parts built to factory specs. I can't believe that the rules want us to go to the dealership to buy our replacement parts. :?

jeffburch
11-03-2006, 11:02 AM
MW is just razzin yall. :roll:
Quit it. :x
Chill. :)
jb

CMC17
11-03-2006, 11:59 AM
I'm just sensitive these days with all the "e-mail" I've been getting behind the scenes.

I will pick up some cream to help with my swelling.

mitchntx
11-03-2006, 12:49 PM

I have an AutoZone/O'Reily coil, plug wires, distributor, starter, and solenoid in my car that I have run since I built it. Have I been cheating since day 1?? Seriously, I hope this isn't true.
I am under the interpretation that they are reproduction parts built to factory specs. I can't believe that the rules want us to go to the dealership to buy our replacement parts. :?

All I know is I was told I could not run a Borg/Warner coil because I couldn't prove it was built to OEM specs.

Micheal, I would never call anyone a cheater.

This is a rather sore spot with me. I would love to run an MSD OEM REPLACEMENT cap and rotor on the opti-crap for simple reliability. But because it's red and says MSD, I can't.

mitchntx
11-03-2006, 12:52 PM
I'm not sure what all this is about. A pickup tube is a pickup tube that has the same dimensions and specifications as "stock".

I take it that everyone buys their oil, spark plugs, windshield wipers, water, radiators, belts, steering wheels, brake pads, head gaskets, intake gaskets, spark plug wires, shocks, struts, seat, belts, restrictor plates, air filters, wheels, lug nuts, rotors, wheel bearings, gauges, electric fans and much more from either a General Motors or FoMoCo dealership?

Give me a f$@kin break. :roll:

Eric .. I won't argue with you. I feel exactly the same way.

You think YOU get the scrutiny ... brother you don't know the half of it ...

Mike Bell
11-07-2006, 07:00 AM
OK, thanks for all the responses. Guess we all have to be a little more "sensitive" to those who have gone up the hill and received bad news from the "powers that be".

Me? I'm just gonna quit asking. :lol:

mitchntx
11-07-2006, 08:44 AM
Me? I'm just gonna quit asking. :lol:

It's what I did ...

BSharp
11-07-2006, 10:42 AM
Mike, where ever you get the oil pick up make sure it is the later style. The earlier style has a dome style wire mesh design. Almost looks like a small collender inside the oil tube. This was a bad design than had a large gap around the crimp that would allow large pieces of crap to get through ans stop the oil pump. Been there, done that. Get the style that has the mesh covering the inlet hole.

Bud

Mike Bell
11-07-2006, 10:48 AM
Thanks for the tip Bud! I've got the old part in hand and although it came out of my 95 it appears to be the "old style" design.

Saw Varner twizzle two oil pump drive shafts the same way, will eyeball whatever they try and sell me closely.

BSharp
11-07-2006, 10:52 AM
Yep, there is a big enough gap to put a large zip tie (skinny end) around the edge.

macstang
11-07-2006, 05:53 PM
We ran a red MSD cap and black FORD RACING wires at Nationals and never heard a thing about it.