PDA

View Full Version : Msr-h

64GunPilot
01-03-2021, 11:27 AM
Is there usually an option for "comp school"? I've seen this option for other events before, I don't see the option on the registration page for MSR-H Jan 30-31st.

marshall_mosty
01-05-2021, 02:24 PM
Dylan,
https://www.nasaproracing.com/events/3497
Go down to HPDE 2,3,4 (Sat and Sun) and use the drop down to select HPDE 4.

64GunPilot
01-08-2021, 12:28 PM
Thank you.

michaelmosty
01-13-2021, 10:22 AM
Dylan, it looks like currently they are not going to have a Comp School at MSRH. I'm not sure the exact details around it but if I hear an update I will post here.

michaelmosty
01-13-2021, 10:30 AM
MSR-H is coming up in a little over 2-weeks. Please make sure you have your NASA membership renewed, comp license renewed, and your medical is current.

Please bring $20 for your Annual inspection. I will be getting there late Friday and can help with inspections then but also please keep an eye on the normal Tech line because early in the day there is usually a very small line. Also, if your car has never received an Annual it will need to be done in the normal Tech line.

Double check your car safety gear (window net, belts, seat back brace, roll bar padding, etc) as well as personal gear (Helmet, head sock, suit, gloves, socks, HANS - or equivalent) before you get to the track.

Please bring $30 for the series dues for the year that help cover the cost for this website, Hallett trophies, and various other small things that pop up.

For CMC, bring an extra copy of your dyno (both graph and form) that I will keep with my file. The form needs to be filled out completely please.

Current entries:

American Iron
Matt Engel
Samuel Capps

Camaro/Mustang Challenge
Andrew Fisher
Dave Francis
Sean Richardson
John Martin
Michael Mosty
Steve Gernon
Frederic Scott
Sam Crumpacker
Josh Sooknanan
Bryan Curtis

Gerno
01-14-2021, 02:09 PM
FYI - not sure it others were concerned but I noticed the CCR's were recently updated and confirm as expected that SA2010 helmets can be used until 2022.. Personally I was questioning if I needed a new helmet or not this year, not sure if others were too

15.17.3 Helmet
All drivers are required to wear a properly fitted and secured helmet while on track. Helmets must be approved by Snell and carry a sticker of Snell SA2010, EA2016, or newer*. Ratings other than that of “SA” (Special Application), (e.g. M2005, M2010, or CMR2007), are not acceptable. *Alternatively, helmets with an FIA certification of FIA 8859-2015, FIA 8860-2010, or FIA 8858-2010 or newer are acceptable. It is strongly recommended that any helmet sustaining any substantial impact be replaced. Helmet standards will increase for the 2022 year, and it is expected that a Snell SA rating of 2015, or higher, will be required.

Sook
01-15-2021, 11:32 PM
FYI - not sure it others were concerned but I noticed the CCR's were recently updated and confirm as expected that SA2010 helmets can be used until 2022.. Personally I was questioning if I needed a new helmet or not this year, not sure if others were too

15.17.3 Helmet
All drivers are required to wear a properly fitted and secured helmet while on track. Helmets must be approved by Snell and carry a sticker of Snell SA2010, EA2016, or newer*. Ratings other than that of “SA” (Special Application), (e.g. M2005, M2010, or CMR2007), are not acceptable. *Alternatively, helmets with an FIA certification of FIA 8859-2015, FIA 8860-2010, or FIA 8858-2010 or newer are acceptable. It is strongly recommended that any helmet sustaining any substantial impact be replaced. Helmet standards will increase for the 2022 year, and it is expected that a Snell SA rating of 2015, or higher, will be required.

I was thinking about this today, some other organizations have their regulations changing mid-year this year. Thanks for the info!

- Josh

Supercharged111
01-16-2021, 12:20 AM
The rule of thumb isn't so much by year, rather SA2010 is good until SA2020 comes out, SA2015 until SA2025 comes out, and so on.

64GunPilot
01-17-2021, 12:35 PM
Will the dyno be available at MSRH? I saw last years post saying it was available there last year and also Cresson. Will they have the official dyno forms as well or do I need to bring with me? I didnt see it on the rules site, or as an appendix in the rules ect.

michaelmosty
01-17-2021, 09:06 PM
The dyno at MSRH should be available for your annual dyno, that is what I’ve used the last 5+ years.

The dyno form is usually at the back of the CMC rules but we were informed last week that it was not there. We are working with NASA to get them to update the rules to include it.
You do need to bring a form with you so if NASA does not update it within the next week let me know and I can email you the form we used last year which will be acceptable.

Fbody383
01-17-2021, 09:49 PM
The dyno at MSRH should be available for your annual dyno, that is what I’ve used the last 5+ years.

If you're going to try to dyno at the track, it's better to have an appointment set up ahead of time. It can/does get busy on opening weekend and if they have any issues the line can get backed up.

64GunPilot
01-18-2021, 01:48 PM
If you're going to try to dyno at the track, it's better to have an appointment set up ahead of time. It can/does get busy on opening weekend and if they have any issues the line can get backed up.

I took your advice and called to make an appointment. They said the dyno will be going non-stop Thursday thru Sunday first come first serve. IDK if the backlog could potentially cause you to miss a track session or not. For me, its not critical anyways until after comp school whenever that may be.

Sook
01-18-2021, 05:52 PM

The dyno form is usually at the back of the CMC rules but we were informed last week that it was not there. We are working with NASA to get them to update the rules to include it.
You do need to bring a form with you so if NASA does not update it within the next week let me know and I can email you the form we used last year which will be acceptable.

I used the 2020 sheet, page 20.

https://nasa-assets.s3.amazonaws.com/document/document/20267/2020_Camaro_Mustang_Challenge_Rules_v1.0.pdf

- Josh

Alien
01-19-2021, 07:02 PM
Just a heads up, they made some changes to Hwy 288 since last year.

The flyover from Beltway 8/Sam Houston Tollway heading east onto 288 south is now open, and same going the other way (left exit).

The left turn (heading south) to get to MSR-H from 288 at the flashing yellow light is no more. You now have to either A.) go down another 1/4-1/2 mile or so and make a U-Turn from the left lane that then feeds you into your own lane onto the northbound 288 where you then merge and get over to the right lane to turn into MSR-H or B.) take the next exit Business 288 and take two lefts at stop signs under the overpass.

Probably not a big deal to most of you, but I know I hate surprises. I'm sure some of you guys with the bigger rigs might want to know. If it was already like this last year, then consider this a reminder.

michaelmosty
01-19-2021, 08:14 PM
Definitely new since last year, thanks for the update Gary!!

The flyover from Beltway 8/Sam Houston Tollway heading east onto 288 south is now open, and same going the other way (left exit).

The left turn (heading south) to get to MSR-H from 288 at the flashing yellow light is no more. You now have to either A.) go down another 1/4-1/2 mile or so and make a U-Turn from the left lane that then feeds you into your own lane onto the northbound 288 where you then merge and get over to the right lane to turn into MSR-H or B.) take the next exit Business 288 and take two lefts at stop signs under the overpass.

Probably not a big deal to most of you, but I know I hate surprises. I'm sure some of you guys with the bigger rigs might want to know. If it was already like this last year, then consider this a reminder.

Sook
01-19-2021, 08:24 PM

This change caught me out pretty bad last year, I thought I forgot the way to my closest track in the morning darkness.

Fbody383
01-20-2021, 03:32 PM
The left turn (heading south) to get to MSR-H from 288 at the flashing yellow light is no more. Closed the crossover? Thanks, Gary. I'll get a preview Saturday morning down there for a dyno.

Alien
01-22-2021, 06:32 PM
Closed the crossover?
Yup, closed all/most of the crossovers down that stretch of 288. Guess there was too many T-bone accidents.

RichardP
01-25-2021, 03:26 PM
Since AI/CMC is running with AMCM this weekend, the group should probably discuss what the desired race format for the weekend should be. We could do our normal format but the fourth race is the longest. AMCM is doing a Hallett style format. It might be less confusing if we all followed the same format. Deciding before we get there is probably the best plan...

Richard P.

Fbody383
01-25-2021, 04:23 PM
Deciding before we get there is probably the best plan... There's no logic allowed here.

michaelmosty
01-26-2021, 11:11 AM
Please everyone read the email that Will sent out yesterday with the welcome information for MSRH. We all have a spot to pit together next to the AMCM group (American Muscle Car Masters). Craig + Al also mentioned if anyone wants to bring their own meat to cook, they will have a very large grill available to use Friday + Saturday nights next to us in the AMCM hospitality area.

Will also stated that this year will be a little different with the 2nd race of each day being the contingency race. I am going to call Will this afternoon to discuss since our 2nd race each day has normally been an invert. I will update with new info later.

Also for Toyo bucks, please everyone remember to have your Toyo decals on the car and have pictures taken of all 4 sides of the car before the event starts so we can submit those to Toyo. The contingency information is not posted yet for 2021 but if it is the same as previous year, the photo's need to be taken with a time stamp prior to any contingency race to be eligible to submit for Toyo Bucks.

Sook
01-26-2021, 01:26 PM
We're running clockwise on Saturday and counter-clockwise on Sunday, with different grid locations each day. I'm gonna have to re-NASCAR stance my rig overnight. Does that mean test and tune will be both ways as well (my guess is no)?

- Josh

RichardP
01-26-2021, 01:35 PM
Does that mean test and tune will be both ways as well (my guess is no)?

- Josh

Test day is both directions (CCW morning/CW afternoon).

Richard P.

Sook
01-26-2021, 04:23 PM
Test day is both directions (CCW morning/CW afternoon).

Richard P.

Neat! Exceeded my expectations

Fbody383
01-27-2021, 06:57 PM
The contingency information is not posted yet for 2021 but if it is the same as previous year, the photo's need to be taken with a time stamp prior to any contingency race to be eligible to submit for Toyo Bucks. Time stamp has to be "printed" on the face of the photo? What did you guys do last year?

they sure want to support the racers with these requirements...

Sook
01-27-2021, 11:41 PM
Time stamp has to be "printed" on the face of the photo? What did you guys do last year?

they sure want to support the racers with these requirements...

They used the geotags in the meta data of the photos for the last couple of seasons. Make sure it’s on when you take the photos, I think they wanted the photos at the track last year, prior to the beginning of the event.

Alien
01-28-2021, 07:36 PM
Can someone please post the schedule for AICMCAIXCMC2SIAMCM (or the link to the welcome letter)?

Wade
01-29-2021, 08:44 AM
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1fV9g12Y4wKagh--svzCs8wzLXsZ98BN3/view

babablackgoat
01-29-2021, 09:02 PM
Hi,

My name is Mark. I am interested in NASA and will stop by to meet people at MSR-H this weekend. My experience is HDPE's, open tracks, auto-cross, etc. No real racing experience.

Looking forward to meeting people.

Mark

michaelmosty
01-30-2021, 07:51 AM
Sounds great Mark, we are all pitted together near the entrance to the facility by the tech garage. Looking forward to meeting you!!

AI#97
01-31-2021, 12:42 AM
Will also stated that this year will be a little different with the 2nd race of each day being the contingency race. I am going to call Will this afternoon to discuss since our 2nd race each day has normally been an invert. I will update with new info later.

WTF? Makes ZERO sense considering the second race usually has fewer cars due to breakage and incidents...let alone forcing you to stay and race the 4th race instead of leaving early for a long haul home. Can NASA find any more reasons to turn racers away? Don't answer that. Please do update what you find out after speaking with Will.

Supercharged111
01-31-2021, 04:41 PM
We do one of each for the money races: R1 Saturday is based on qual, the rest are inverts. We get one flying and one standing as well for money just to try and keep it mixed up.

babablackgoat
01-31-2021, 09:14 PM
Sounds great Mark, we are all pitted together near the entrance to the facility by the tech garage. Looking forward to meeting you!!

Thanks for having me. Let me know of anyone with a CMC car to sell. I will also look for a trailer.

ShadowBolt
02-01-2021, 08:49 AM
Mark,

Unless I missed it Al has a Camaro for sale. I think it even has a new LS1 installed. I will make sure Al sees this.

Jerry

babablackgoat
02-01-2021, 08:58 AM
Mark,

Unless I missed it Al has a Camaro for sale. I think it even has a new LS1 installed. I will make sure Al sees this.

Jerry

Hi Jerry,

Yup. Got it in my notes:

30 January 2021

NASA at MSR-H
Mark [removed] (v00)

Met Jeff via LSU
- Introduced me to the new class guys American Muscle

Al has a CMC car
- [phone number removed]

American Muscle
- New series
- Rene (Series Director) and Brian
- Mosty – Instructor

Al and Craig
- American Muscle
- They do a lot with suspension work and other stuff
- Includes Camaros, Mustangs, and Challengers

To find a CMC car: https://www.racingjunk.com/
- From Alex
- For racing license, go to Skip Barber

Kay is the Grid Chief
- Kay loves dogs
- For CMC, told me to go over where all the Mustangs and Camaros are
o Find #11
o Silver and red
o Michael Mostly

CMC Driver’s Meeting was led by Marshall and Firouz

Al Fernandez
02-01-2021, 09:04 AM
Just a couple of corrections for you Mark...
Craig and I are the owners/promoters of AMCM, Rene is a participant and an instructor in various organizations (excellent resource if you want to either get driving help or rent a race car)

babablackgoat
02-01-2021, 09:11 AM
Just a couple of corrections for you Mark...
Craig and I are the owners/promoters of AMCM, Rene is a participant and an instructor in various organizations (excellent resource if you want to either get driving help or rent a race car)

Got it picked up in my notes. Thanks much for corrections.

AllZWay
02-01-2021, 10:00 AM
WTF? Makes ZERO sense considering the second race usually has fewer cars due to breakage and incidents...let alone forcing you to stay and race the 4th race instead of leaving early for a long haul home. Can NASA find any more reasons to turn racers away? Don't answer that. Please do update what you find out after speaking with Will.

I am obviously not racing.. but this is pretty dumb. Not to mention it screws up the inverted starts for the second race.

BryanL
02-01-2021, 02:52 PM
Thanks for having me. Let me know of anyone with a CMC car to sell. I will also look for a trailer.

Mark-I have two CMC Camaro's if your interested. One is an LS that's white and the other an LT that's blue. Either is podium capable and both make the same power right near the limit. If your interested in either let me know-in Plano. I should be racing at Cresson in March.

michaelmosty
02-01-2021, 05:47 PM
Just an update on the race format as the sky is not falling, haha.

We did change it up for the weekend and it worked out pretty darn well. Not sure if we will do the same moving forward but it was interesting to have a small change.
Both days were raced the exact same. We qualified for starting position for the Toyo race. Race 1 + 3 were then inverted based on our qual times and were rolling starts. Races 2 + 4 were then gridded by our qual times and were the traditional standing starts.

I’ll start a new thread for the race recap information but it was a great time had by all!!

Mark, it was excellent meeting you on Saturday!! My number is in the back of the CMC rules so feel free to give me a call or post up any questions here on the forum.

CWiseman
02-01-2021, 06:32 PM

I have one. 1993 Camaro with trailer and lots of spares. Original owner won the 2012 championship. My brother drove it for two years, got rookie of the year the first year and second place in the championship his second year. Heather also got rookie of the year her first year and finished 5th in the points her second year.

Craig Wiseman

babablackgoat
02-01-2021, 09:39 PM
Mark-I have two CMC Camaro's if your interested. One is an LS that's white and the other an LT that's blue. Either is podium capable and both make the same power right near the limit. If your interested in either let me know-in Plano. I should be racing at Cresson in March.

Hi Bryan,

Thanks for reaching out. Looking at two cars around Houston this weekend. Will see how it goes. Appreciate the response.

babablackgoat
02-01-2021, 09:41 PM
I have one. 1993 Camaro with trailer and lots of spares. Original owner won the 2012 championship. My brother drove it for two years, got rookie of the year the first year and second place in the championship his second year. Heather also got rookie of the year her first year and finished 5th in the points her second year.

Craig Wiseman

Just texted with Heather. Viewing at 10:00 AM (way before the Superbowl). Are you available to join us?

babablackgoat
02-01-2021, 09:42 PM
Mark, it was excellent meeting you on Saturday!! My number is in the back of the CMC rules so feel free to give me a call or post up any questions here on the forum.

Got your text. Looking at two cars this weekend: Heather's and Al's.

Will definitely be in contact for next steps.