PDA

View Full Version : Cresson 2021

michaelmosty
02-16-2021, 06:36 PM
Time to sign up for Cresson. Who is planning to go?

If you did not race at the Houston event please bring me a copy of your dyno sheet.

Current entries:

CMC
Steve Gernon
Michael Mosty
Team Jordan
Robert Weston - from Colorado
Peter Standiford - from Colorado
Frederic Scott
Bryan Leinart
John Martin
Bryan Curtis
Drew Fisher
Dylan Bryan - comp school and racing

Fbody383
02-18-2021, 11:01 AM
What's the temp forecast? ;)

64GunPilot
02-18-2021, 06:59 PM
I'll be there in HPDE or comp school or whatever the case may be....I'll be there.

michaelmosty
02-20-2021, 11:03 AM
Looks like the forecast is for around 60-65 during the day and 40-45 at night.

Dylan, I’ll continue to work with BJ to make sure we can get you through the Comp School and race with us at Cresson.

michaelmosty
02-20-2021, 11:17 AM
I also see we have two CMC racers signed up from Colorado!! We are excited to race with you and please let us know if you have any questions that we may help with.

64GunPilot
02-20-2021, 05:40 PM
Looks like the forecast is for around 60-65 during the day and 40-45 at night.

Dylan, I’ll continue to work with BJ to make sure we can get you through the Comp School and race with us at Cresson.

Thank you. I appreciate the assist.

babablackgoat
02-26-2021, 09:31 AM
I cannot make is up there. A bit loaded up at the moment.

But I did just buy Al's 4th gen Camaro.

Sook
02-26-2021, 01:16 PM
I cannot make is up there. A bit loaded up at the moment.

But I did just buy Al's 4th gen Camaro.

Awesome! It will be great to see it back on track.

- Josh

Sook
02-26-2021, 01:16 PM
Unlikely Dan or I will make it this time. :(

- Josh

Fbody383
02-26-2021, 04:03 PM
But I did just buy Al's 4th gen Camaro. Xlnt! Be good to see it back out.

michaelmosty
02-26-2021, 07:29 PM
Congrats on buying Al's car Mark, will be great to have you join us!!!

Josh, I hope we can see you and Dan at ECR next month!!!

michaelmosty
02-27-2021, 04:29 PM
Looks like we have 10 so far and Crumpacker should be signing up soon and we are still working to get Dylan racing with his Comp License. Is there anyone else we can get to join in on the fun?

Gerno
03-01-2021, 11:25 AM
Pretty sure I already know the answer but for Friday test and tune I assume we are in the small bore group this time based on lap times? I thought typically CMC was with the large bore.. Am i wrong? 1959

fscott
03-01-2021, 02:47 PM
I signed up for Big Bore. Coming from a Miata, even a V6 Mustang is a big bore car to me.

ShadowBolt
03-01-2021, 03:34 PM
Can I get a link? I found the event calendar and it shows NASA test and tune but I could not find a link to the signup page or any info.

JJ

fscott
03-01-2021, 09:21 PM
Can I get a link? I found the event calendar and it shows NASA test and tune but I could not find a link to the signup page or any info.

JJ

https://www.motorsportreg.com/

64GunPilot
03-03-2021, 08:43 AM
I probably missed it but are we running CW or CCW?

Gerno
03-03-2021, 09:30 AM
Ccw

BryanL
03-04-2021, 11:48 AM
What's our race format? Schedule looks like R1/3 will be the Toyo race and not a shootout style?

michaelmosty
03-04-2021, 01:49 PM
Correct, standard format with R1 and R3 being the standing start Toyo races.

64GunPilot
03-04-2021, 09:54 PM
Looks like I’ll be gridding with you guys. Looking forward to it.

Fbody383
03-05-2021, 09:27 AM
Looks like I’ll be gridding with you guys. Looking forward to it. Whoop!

ShadowBolt
03-08-2021, 05:25 PM
What a great weekend. Weather was great Sat. and Sun. I'm a whipped puppy (okay old dog) after the fucking hornets chased me for 20 minutes of what turned out to be a 33 minute race. Damn it's great to race with you guys when the car is right like it was on Sat. in the invert.

Look at the fastest lap times in R4. Top eight in order of finish. Fucking nine laps in R4. I think we ran 32 laps in R3 (well maybe not that many.

Michael winner 1:24.755 lap 6
Bryan Curtis 1:24.660 lap 7
Sam Crumpacker 1:24.363 lap 6
John Martin 1:24.631 lap 7
Robert Weston 1:25.387 lap 9
Jay Jordan 1:24.723 lap 9
Bryan Leinart 1:25.381 lap 3
Steven Gernon 1:25.315 lap 5

I would like to say thanks to the guys that made the trip from Colorado. Great racers and even better men!

JJ

babablackgoat
03-08-2021, 09:04 PM
Fun was had by all? No car to car contact?

Videos?

fscott
03-08-2021, 09:35 PM
I appreciate that nobody mentioned this before I could. I think it's always best to let the one who had a bad weekend share the news. And I have bad news to share.

I'll preface this by saying that I am an idiot.

During the big freeze, with the power grid overloaded, I didn't feel that I could justify keeping the shop warm. So I didn't, and I drained the coolant in both my track cars. I drained them into the same container, so I did not have a gauge of how much had come out of my new-to-me Mustang.

After the freeze was over, I refilled both cars. But I was unaware of an issue with the 4.6l motor in my 96 Mustang. If you just fill it from the coolant tank, and don't disconnect the upper radiator hose at the thermostat to burp out the air, it leaves a big bubble in the system. A 9 quart bubble.

I drove it on track like that, and that's all she wrote. By the time I was aware of the problem, oil temperature gauge was pegged at 300f, and coolant temperature (steam temperature, really) was 240. The engine was hot, but the radiator was cool to the touch and dry as a bone.

I just finished the autopsy, and am now drinking away my sorrows.
The oil is dark, but has no glitter even after filtering it all through a paper towel.
The engine cranks a little slow, but that could just be the weak battery.
The compression numbers are not good. I've definitely blown the driver's side head gasket. I don't know what compression this motor made before, but 150 psi seems low to me.

1 150
2 150
3 150
4 125
5 50
6 0
7 10
8 120

Tomorrow I'll start work on pulling the engine. I don't know if I'll have the car back up for Eagle's Canyon or not. A month isn't a lot of time.

If anyone has a lead on a 4.6 block, or can recommend some good engine builders, please let me know. I have a spare crank, spare heads, and even a set of used pistons and rods. So a block and a gasket set could be enough to get me back in the game.

babablackgoat
03-09-2021, 08:33 AM
Sorry for the tough weekend!

For engine builder in your area, perhaps you can check out Texas Speed and Performance: https://www.texas-speed.com/

Mark

ShadowBolt
03-09-2021, 10:03 AM
I use DSS Racing for short blocks and long blocks. I'm assuming your heads are still okay. DSS is not going to use your parts so you may be better off finding a local builder. Call me if you need anything.

JJ

Supercharged111
03-09-2021, 10:50 AM
Why do you suspect block over heads? Without checking who's to say either warped? If it's slow to crank you could have also wadded up a bearing and need only some rotating parts and gaskets to be in your way.

fscott
03-09-2021, 11:28 AM
Why do you suspect block over heads?

At this point, I'm just guessing. No matter what, the engine's coming out and the heads are coming off for a thorough inspection.

Gerno
03-09-2021, 12:32 PM
At this point, I'm just guessing. No matter what, the engine's coming out and the heads are coming off for a thorough inspection.

Based on the numbers I bet you'll be fine with getting the heads reworked and not touching the short block. Though completely understand if you feel more comfortable pulling it all down for some inspection.

michaelmosty
03-09-2021, 02:34 PM
I hope the repair is on the “easier” side. We definitely missed having you out there racing with us Frederic!!

ShadowBolt
03-09-2021, 03:21 PM
I assume the issues will be in the heads/head gaskets but just hoping they are repairable. As long as they are not cracked and the cam surfaces are okay. There are no cam bearings but they can be machined to accept cam bearings. There are no more new heads to be had. Ford sold all they had to DSS and other engine builders. I bought the last brand new set from DSS a few years ago. There are lots of good used heads around though.

JJ

Supercharged111
03-09-2021, 10:28 PM
I assume the issues will be in the heads/head gaskets but just hoping they are repairable. As long as they are not cracked and the cam surfaces are okay. There are no cam bearings but they can be machined to accept cam bearings. There are no more new heads to be had. Ford sold all they had to DSS and other engine builders. I bought the last brand new set from DSS a few years ago. There are lots of good used heads around though.

JJ

And watch out because the cams are all different! All these years I thought a 4.6 was a 4.6, but the Mustang in particular got its own cams so be sure to run those or you'll be chasing your tail come dyno time.

64GunPilot
03-10-2021, 12:38 AM
From the eyes of a 1st time Rookie

Was great to be there with you guys and out on the track for my first competition appearance. Thanks for taking it easy on me. Was nervous with butterflies sitting in grid for the first time but those quickly went away at the drop of my first green flag. I wont write a long blog here, but just post my dashcam from R3. I missed R4 unfortunately due to family business but R3 was the most interesting and fun race of the weekend for me.

I have a lot to learn but am feeling a lot more confident that I can maintain situational awareness of my surroundings, and the flag stations and occasionally keep my racing lines. My car held together, performed better than I could drive it, and even went from last to finishing 5th in R3. Altogether could not be happier. Was a blast and this event set the hook. The addiction just became unshakable for me now.

Thanks for all the advice, mentorship, and encouragement.

Complete video from R3 (Unedited sorry for the boring parts) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-Qb3Bk2Olk

Fbody383
03-10-2021, 04:07 PM
Was great to be there with you guys and out on the track for my first competition appearance.

Complete video from R3 (Unedited sorry for the boring parts) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-Qb3Bk2Olk

Awesome. I figure you don't know, and here is fine too, but we have a separate thread for videos as well.

What was with Flyin' Bryan banging up on a third gen? Cmon now... you'll knock Gerno's setup off.

babablackgoat
03-11-2021, 10:24 AM
From the eyes of a 1st time Rookie

Was great to be there with you guys and out on the track for my first competition appearance. Thanks for taking it easy on me. Was nervous with butterflies sitting in grid for the first time but those quickly went away at the drop of my first green flag. I wont write a long blog here, but just post my dashcam from R3. I missed R4 unfortunately due to family business but R3 was the most interesting and fun race of the weekend for me.

I have a lot to learn but am feeling a lot more confident that I can maintain situational awareness of my surroundings, and the flag stations and occasionally keep my racing lines. My car held together, performed better than I could drive it, and even went from last to finishing 5th in R3. Altogether could not be happier. Was a blast and this event set the hook. The addiction just became unshakable for me now.

Thanks for all the advice, mentorship, and encouragement.

Insightful summary. Someday soon for me to...

fscott
03-17-2021, 09:52 PM
Well, it's not gonna be an easy repair. The valves got hot, siezed in their guides, and then the cam lobes ejected the rockers. And one of the cam rollers had a bad bearing, and it ate the cam lobe. So I'm looking at valves, a camshaft, a rocker, and a couple of head rebuilds.

The bottom end is more or less OK. There was no valve to piston contact. There's some cylinder wall damage, but it's in the "Disposable race motor, send it" category.

I was going to slap on some spare heads that I have, but it turns out that they were run with low oil pressure, and the cam bearings are chowdered.

This motor is going to become the B motor. I'll take my time rebuilding it, assuming that the block's not toast.

I've ordered a junkyard 4.6 from a 99, with 57k miles on it. I don't know if it'll arrive in time, so I may be doing Miata things at ECR. But here's hoping that I can get the Stang back together. I don't mind missing ECR, so long as I can make it to Hallett. Gotta get that BBQ!

Supercharged111
03-17-2021, 10:10 PM
Cam "bearings". I had a 4.6 that ate the "journals" too. I abandoned it for a 289. Present day me would have sent that garbage, but it was WAY better than what you have.

fscott
03-18-2021, 10:12 AM
Cam "bearings"

Everything eventually becomes a bearing if you don't have oil pressure.