PDA

View Full Version : The Deed Is Done

babablackgoat
03-21-2021, 12:01 PM
Took possession of Al's Camaro yesterday:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/gNJKqyokKdcv7hWM9
https://photos.app.goo.gl/ikCW5oCHmGxLbUj9A

Al was fantastic with answering all my simplistic questions. As expressed previously and again now, my greatest deficit is limit mechanical ability. So letting y'all know now that I will probably need help with something in the near future.

PS...Is there a way to just show pictures in the posts as opposed to links? In viewing other posts, seems not.

Mark

Storm Trooper
03-21-2021, 12:11 PM
Welcome to the the Fun! Any thing I can help with don’t hesitate to holler!
Sean, nasacmc15@hotmail.com

Fbody383
03-21-2021, 03:28 PM
First, congrats. What part of town are you in?

Is there a way to just show pictures in the posts as opposed to links? In viewing other posts, seems not.

.http://www.aicmctexas.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=1966&stc=1
We'll see if this works, it was just a handy picture. This was using the "insert image" tool. I also believe you can link to photos that are being hosted publicly on somewhere else.

michaelmosty
03-21-2021, 06:14 PM
Congrats on the purchase Mark and welcome to this crazy and awesome family!!

Feel free to post up any questions you have. Look forward to seeing you at the track again.

babablackgoat
03-21-2021, 10:26 PM
Welcome to the the Fun! Any thing I can help with don’t hesitate to holler!
Sean, nasacmc15@hotmail.com

Thanks Sean. Al joked that everyone in CMC has wrenched my car at one point or another.

babablackgoat
03-21-2021, 10:28 PM
First, congrats. What part of town are you in?

Just got a house in the old part of Sugar Land near the Imperial Sugar Factory. House with two driveways for more cars.

babablackgoat
03-21-2021, 10:29 PM
Congrats on the purchase Mark and welcome to this crazy and awesome family!!

Feel free to post up any questions you have. Look forward to seeing you at the track again.

Much appreciated. Will be posting more shortly. To start, how about graphics for my name and such?

Storm Trooper
03-22-2021, 05:58 AM
Wade Zimmer can hook you up on that!

64GunPilot
03-22-2021, 08:34 AM
Congrats on the purchase. Are you gonna go straight to comp school with the car? Or get an HPDE in first to get acquainted? Im still the new guy but glad to see another new guy.

Supercharged111
03-22-2021, 05:37 PM
Congrats on the purchase. Are you gonna go straight to comp school with the car? Or get an HPDE in first to get acquainted? Im still the new guy but glad to see another new guy.

You look like a quick new guy, those aren't very common.

BryanL
03-23-2021, 04:00 PM
Congrats Mark-welcome. Don't hesitate to ask. I've run the LS for 12 years I guess now and there are plenty of resources around here to answer any questions.

Go sign up for ECR and I'll see you there.

babablackgoat
03-23-2021, 08:37 PM
Wade Zimmer can hook you up on that!

Can you PM me his contact info, pls?

babablackgoat
03-23-2021, 08:42 PM

Definitely a couple of HDPE's first. Mosty said so, and more important: I really need it. Short silly story:

The only time I ever drove a full-on race car was loading and unloading Al's / mine onto Al's trailer. Al was reluctant to let me drive it on, then suddenly changed his mind. No problem.

Then while backing it off at my place, not following Al's instructions, I missed the ramp. So to date at am one and one: One win onto the trailer and one loss falling off the trailer.

Definitely need me some HDPE's prior to Comp School.

babablackgoat
03-23-2021, 08:44 PM
You look like a quick new guy, those aren't very common.

And I am not one of them. Have plenty of HDPE experience in my highly modified yet street legal GTO. Yet not full-on door to door.

babablackgoat
03-23-2021, 08:51 PM
Congrats Mark-welcome. Don't hesitate to ask. I've run the LS for 12 years I guess now and there are plenty of resources around here to answer any questions.

Go sign up for ECR and I'll see you there.

Greatly appreciated. But cannot make ECR due to prior engagement. See y'all at Hallett.

Although would be a good idea to attend a non-NASA HDPE such as TDE or Chin or something between now and then. Would be beneficial to have a more experience CMC driver come by to get me started on the real deal. Nothing scheduled. Just a thought.

Fbody383
03-24-2021, 07:54 AM
Would be beneficial to have a more experience CMC driver come by to get me started on the real deal. Nothing scheduled. Just a thought. If you're going to make an event, let us know. Somebody might be able to get out there. You're gonna find you have to drive these things pretty hard to make them fast.

Supercharged111
03-24-2021, 10:06 AM
If you're going to make an event, let us know. Somebody might be able to get out there. You're gonna find you have to drive these things pretty hard to make them fast.

This is an excellent point because it may feel reckless, aggressive, or unnecessary to push the car that hard in the beginning but the folks walking away from you are doing just that. Just don't outdrive yourself.

Wade
03-24-2021, 10:24 AM
wade dot zimmer at gmail dot com

babablackgoat
03-24-2021, 08:32 PM
This is an excellent point because it may feel reckless, aggressive, or unnecessary to push the car that hard in the beginning but the folks walking away from you are doing just that. Just don't outdrive yourself.

Understood. Need to push the car from the beginning without overdriving a car I am not familiar with. Appreciate the guidance.

64GunPilot
03-24-2021, 11:53 PM
Greatly appreciated. But cannot make ECR due to prior engagement. See y'all at Hallett.

Although would be a good idea to attend a non-NASA HDPE such as TDE or Chin or something between now and then. Would be beneficial to have a more experience CMC driver come by to get me started on the real deal. Nothing scheduled. Just a thought.

Also try APEX driving academy. I went with them in January to give my car a good shake down and knock the rust off after not being on track for a year. Its usually $250 for six 20min sessions in one day with or without instructors. They run at Cresson. https://www.apexhpde.com/

babablackgoat
03-25-2021, 12:51 PM
Also try APEX driving academy. I went with them in January to give my car a good shake down and knock the rust off after not being on track for a year. Its usually $250 for six 20min sessions in one day with or without instructors. They run at Cresson. https://www.apexhpde.com/

Thanks for recommending. I am familiar with Apex. Been around a long time with good reputation. Another one I have not checked out yet and closer to home is Hooked on Driving (HOD): https://www.hookedondriving.com/hooked-on-driving-region/Texas

Seems we have:
TDE (The Driver's Edge)
Chin
Apex
HOD

Anyone with other suggests or comments on HDPE's in Texas?

Fbody383
03-25-2021, 02:49 PM
Have plenty of HDPE experience in my highly modified yet street legal GTO. If you have good/decent prior DE and are solo, just pick an event you can drive the CMC car solo in. Take the first couple sessions to familiarize with the car. Whether it's then a NASA DE or NASA Comp, our guys will see you on track at some point.