PDA

View Full Version : Looking for an 8 bolt flywheel for an SN95 with a 4.6

fscott
03-24-2021, 06:25 PM
My junkyard motor arrived, but now I'm in need of a flywheel. My old one is a 6 bolt. The new motor is an 8 bolt. And it came off of a car with an automatic, so it didn't come with a usable flywheel.

Whaddya got?

ShadowBolt
03-25-2021, 07:21 AM
Your old engine is a Romeo and the new one is a Windsor. The Windsor engines have 8 flywheel bolts and pressed on cam gears where the Romeo engines have six flywheel bolts and bolt on cam gears. My current engine is a Windsor with Romeo heads.

Here is a good place to see the differences. https://lmr.com/products/mustang-46-romeo-vs-windsor-differences

JJ

Supercharged111
03-25-2021, 11:20 AM
If your junkyard motor didn't come with Mustang GT cams I'd be looking at swapping cams over assuming they're compatible. If not, I'd do a top swap if you didn't trash a head on the old motor.

fscott
03-25-2021, 05:06 PM
If your junkyard motor didn't come with Mustang GT cams I'd be looking at swapping cams over assuming they're compatible. If not, I'd do a top swap if you didn't trash a head on the old motor.

I'll have to look into that. But in any case, I am probably going to just run this as is to get some experience in the car (and maybe run two events in a row without breaking it). And then I'll see about rebuilding the old motor into something decent. I have two sets of Romeo heads, but out of the 4 camshafts, 3 are trashed. So there's no quick fix.

Got a good deal on a used flywheel, it should arrive by this weekend.