PDA

View Full Version : Possible CMC Car at TDE at MSR-H May 2021

babablackgoat
04-25-2021, 03:38 PM
Apologies for "radio silence" for awhile. A big part of getting the CMC car was getting a house and been busy with that. I have not done much of anything with Al's old Camaro.

I am considering trying to get the car on the track local (Houston) prior to Hallett. My favorite HPDE "The Driver's Edge" will be at MSR-H on 15-16 May 2021. Biggest issues are time and a trailer. Three weeks from now but I will be out of town from 30 April thru 10 May 2021. TDE has been informed of my possible intention.

One reason for this post is getting a line on a trailer. Looking online, do not see much. Just got off the phone with Al (who I bought the car from) who gave me contact info for Gary Robertson who I just sent a text to. And reached out to a couple of other sources as well. Ultimately my preference is a used trailer already setup for CMC: steel (as opposed to aluminum to save money), low profile, tire rack, toolbox, and winch. Ideas?

Also I would like to see if any of y'all will be at TDE at MSR-H for this event to provide a little guidance to me as well. Timing may or may not work. Regardless I plan to attend Hallett.

Thoughts?

RichardP
04-25-2021, 05:04 PM
Apologies for "radio silence" for awhile. A big part of getting the CMC car was getting a house and been busy with that. I have not done much of anything with Al's old Camaro.

I am considering trying to get the car on the track local (Houston) prior to Hallett. My favorite HPDE "The Driver's Edge" will be at MSR-H on 15-16 May 2021. Biggest issues are time and a trailer. Three weeks from now but I will be out of town from 30 April thru 10 May 2021. TDE has been informed of my possible intention.

One reason for this post is getting a line on a trailer. Looking online, do not see much. Just got off the phone with Al (who I bought the car from) who gave me contact info for Gary Robertson who I just sent a text to. And reached out to a couple of other sources as well. Ultimately my preference is a used trailer already setup for CMC: steel (as opposed to aluminum to save money), low profile, tire rack, toolbox, and winch. Ideas?

Also I would like to see if any of y'all will be at TDE at MSR-H for this event to provide a little guidance to me as well. Timing may or may not work. Regardless I plan to attend Hallett.

Thoughts?

Josh and I (maybe Dan?) are planning on being there as instructors. You could request Josh Sooknanan as your instructor.

Richard P.

Fbody383
04-25-2021, 10:01 PM

I've used a 20' wood deck trailer since day one. Man... steel and lumber costs... i bought mine at Countryside in Spring.

Similar to this: https://www.txtrailercountry.com/2021-longhorn-trailers-83x20-7k-car-hauler-racing-trailer-2ft-dovetail-5ft-ramps-brakes-5QLj%7CZGb.html

We did build plywood ramps to make the load angle shallow enough to clear the radiator deflector.

What's your tow vehicle? Do you want tire rack/toolbox on the trailer or NEED them due to space?

babablackgoat
04-26-2021, 11:15 AM
My tow vehicle is a 2011 Dodge Durango R/T with 5.7L Hemi rated up to 7400 pound towing capacity. So I "want" a tire rack/toolbox...not really required. Hoping for steel wood deck instead of aluminum to save money but will consider aluminum if required for my towing capacity.

Can I call you to discuss this specific trailer, please? Will send PM with my cell.

babablackgoat
04-26-2021, 11:23 AM
Josh and I (maybe Dan?) are planning on being there as instructors. You could request Josh Sooknanan as your instructor.

Richard P.

Fantastic. Excellent news that CMC folks will be there. Just FYI now: I will require a little guidance if I can make it. Still looking for a trailer and have not heard back from Rick Schwalenberg yet. Following up with Rick now.

Pranav
04-26-2021, 11:26 AM
Hi,

I will be there for TDE running my black 93 Camaro CMC car. First time driving since aug 2019. Be sure to paddock next to me!

You are also welcome to check out my trailer. I was hoping to sell it next year to buy an aluminum enclosed trailer so timing is not good to sell but will gladly walk you through what to aim for on open trailers.

If you are dead set on keeping the Durango I would strongly urge you to start looking for used aluminum trailers.

Gary's steel trailer is a good example of a lightly built steel trailer that is relatively economical to reproduce without the aluminum premium.

My steel trailer is a good example of a fully decked out trailer that requires a minimum 10k capable 1/2 ton truck with wd hitch but let's me carry everything possible, freeing up bed space.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Rz67xHM3FMLcWAgf6

Lots of pros and cons.

You might find it easier/safer to upsize the tow vehicle than making compromises on the trailer!

Sook
04-26-2021, 03:06 PM
I bought this because it was cheap, have been stoked with it so far. I have a custom tire rack on it now. Recommend load leveling springs and class D tires.

You will find that a new cheap-ish trailer is going to need a little tune up from time to time (bearings, wiring, etc).

https://maxxdtrailers.com/c3m-7k-steel-floor-car-hauler

- Josh

AllZWay
04-26-2021, 03:33 PM
I bought this because it was cheap, have been stoked with it so far. I have a custom tire rack on it now. Recommend load leveling springs and class D tires.

You will find that a new cheap-ish trailer is going to need a little tune up from time to time (bearings, wiring, etc).

- Josh

These trailers are made local to me.... as are the large majority of other brands like Norstar, PJ Trailers, Load Trail, Lamar and many other smaller ones.

Maxxd makes some really nice ones.

babablackgoat
04-26-2021, 10:05 PM
https://photos.app.goo.gl/Rz67xHM3FMLcWAgf6

Nice clean setup. Sure you do not want to sell now? haha.

In part due to time (and money), prefer to keep the Durango.

Very much appreciate the invite to paddock next to you. Will get with Rick on attending and instructor with CMC background (Josh).

babablackgoat
04-26-2021, 10:10 PM

- Josh

Thanks for input and specific suggestion, Josh. Trailer World Katy and Texas Trailer Country seem to carry Maxx-D.

babablackgoat
04-26-2021, 10:24 PM
Attempting to look at trailers this week. Work from home allows me some freedom with my time, yet I am kinda supposed to be working too...haha. Starting with an appointment with Nationwide to see what is on the lot and a possible custom trailer.

The following are possible requirements/wishlist accumulated from multiple sources:
1. Metal
2. Wood deck
3. 20 foot
4. Axel brakes
5. Load leveling
6. Long ramps (might not be not required)
7. Removable fenders (probably not required)
8. Place for tie-downs (seems kinda obvious - I believe meaning extra places)
9. Tilt jack for storage (probably not required)
10. LED lights (probably not required)
11. Drop axel (probably not required)
12. Winch (probably not required)

What else should be considered when getting a trailer for a CMC car?

Fbody383
04-27-2021, 08:21 AM
4a. AT LEAST 3500lb axles

BryanL
04-27-2021, 09:11 AM
How often do you plan to go and how far-bringing the the consideration for renting a trailer or one from uhaul just to make this event. Also with the price of new trailers I would consider looking for a used aluminum trailer especially if your concerned about weight. But also it seems that used trailers really tend to hold their value especially when there isn't much available-at least with enclosed trailers there are hardly any new ones from what I hear.

I just sold my metal 18' dovetail trailer. It was built in 99 and was very stout at 2,500 lbs as I don't think they make them as strong now. I replaced the axles, new goodyears, wiring last year and it sold in 15 minutes on FB for $2,250 I think. An issue with it was the ramps pulled out but stayed in the trailer-you want to be able to put them on the top of the dovetail.

babablackgoat
04-27-2021, 09:24 PM
How often do you plan to go and how far-bringing the the consideration for renting a trailer or one from uhaul just to make this event. Also with the price of new trailers I would consider looking for a used aluminum trailer especially if your concerned about weight. But also it seems that used trailers really tend to hold their value especially when there isn't much available-at least with enclosed trailers there are hardly any new ones from what I hear.

Valid points I have been thinking of. Specifically would be nice to get a used aluminum trailer already setup for CMC. Cheaper and lighter. But none are jumping out at me. As you indicated, it seems I might need to rent for this one event. Detail in the next post on my trip to Nationwide Trailers.

babablackgoat
04-27-2021, 09:33 PM
Trip to Nationwide was productive using the above requirements/wishlist. Met with "Kyle". Does have exactly what I want on the lot, so spec'ed one out. See "NationwideTrailer_snip_01.JPG".

Cannot have ready for TDE at MSR-H on 15 May 2021, so will probably rent. But this one for me can be ready for Hallett. Nationwide wants a $500 deposit. Looks good to me. Thoughts? Any reason I should not pull the trigger?

And Mosty said I can go to HPDE 3, so I plan to be there.

Supercharged111
04-27-2021, 10:32 PM
Trip to Nationwide was productive using the above requirements/wishlist. Met with "Kyle". Does have exactly what I want on the lot, so spec'ed one out. See "NationwideTrailer_snip_01.JPG".

Cannot have ready for TDE at MSR-H on 15 May 2021, so will probably rent. But this one for me can be ready for Hallett. Nationwide wants a $500 deposit. Looks good to me. Thoughts? Any reason I should not pull the trigger?

And Mosty said I can go to HPDE 3, so I plan to be there.

Does that have brakes on one axle or both?

babablackgoat
04-28-2021, 06:48 AM
Does that have brakes on one axle or both?

Only one. I thought that was common yet could easily be a misconception on my part. The rear axel has electric drum brakes. I believe he said the front axel is a coaster axel. Inquiring on upgrading to discs or something, he indicated that is not common since this would require hydraulics.

With the modifications required for a trailer, how feasible is it to add electric drums to the front axel?

Supercharged111
04-28-2021, 09:30 AM
Only one. I thought that was common yet could easily be a misconception on my part. The rear axel has electric drum brakes. I believe he said the front axel is a coaster axel. Inquiring on upgrading to discs or something, he indicated that is not common since this would require hydraulics.

With the modifications required for a trailer, how feasible is it to add electric drums to the front axel?

Usually if it's not standard, it's a box you check and pay a little more for when you order. My old flat deck had them on both. I wouldn't just want 1 axle with brakes myself.

Pranav
04-28-2021, 11:58 AM
Changing the brakes involves changing the whole axle assembly

You'd want a brake axle assembly with full brake assemblies/hubs then tap into the wires for the existing brakes

Probably $500ish plus lots of work

Best to order with dual brake axles and for cmc car weight with the Durango dual brakes are a must

babablackgoat
04-28-2021, 12:01 PM
Response from Nationwide which correlates to above: "If we order you a trailer (12-14 weeks build time) I can get the front brake option added easily. Its a little more expensive and pain in the butt to add it after the fact."

The problem is timing. With the optional dual brakes, will not be ready for Hallett.

ShadowBolt
04-28-2021, 12:14 PM
I am on my second open race car trailer (11 years of racing) and I have never had brakes on both axles. No worries in my opinion.

JJ

Supercharged111
04-28-2021, 03:07 PM
Response from Nationwide which correlates to above: "If we order you a trailer (12-14 weeks build time) I can get the front brake option added easily. Its a little more expensive and pain in the butt to add it after the fact."

The problem is timing. With the optional dual brakes, will not be ready for Hallett.

Just rent/borrow for Hallett and get the trailer you want.

I am on my second open race car trailer (11 years of racing) and I have never had brakes on both axles. No worries in my opinion.

JJ

Don't you tow yours with a motorhome though? The Durango will be stretched as far as it can go with a trailer, tools, cooler full of beer, etc.

RichardP
04-28-2021, 03:22 PM
More brakes is better. On the other hand, if you have too much brake on (slick surfaces) you can lock the tires. If you lock one pair, the trailer stays behind you. If you lock all four, the trailer can pass you. I've never had a trailer with brakes on both axles...

Richard P.

ShadowBolt
04-28-2021, 03:56 PM
Even with brakes only on one axle like Richard says if it gets slick (like when it rains a little after weeks of no rain) my trailer brakes will lock up.

JJ

39PitCrew
04-28-2021, 04:42 PM
Even with brakes only on one axle like Richard says if it gets slick (like when it rains a little after weeks of no rain) my trailer brakes will lock up.

JJ

I've got a LoadTrail from Countryside in Houston and I use a load leveler hitch.
I've not hauled a lot with my trailer but I think one part that can make a difference is which brake controller you use.
I'd have to look to see which one I have but I've been really happy with mine.

In addition to a spare tire, some other things to add to your trailer go-box:
Extra ratchet strap
Axle straps
Extra lug nuts
Full set of bearings
Bottle Jack
Breaker bar with lug nut socket
Extra safety clips for the ramp doors
Locking hitch cover

Sook
04-29-2021, 11:02 AM
I have not had a problem with single axle brakes so far.

With load leveling bars, I've noticed I can use way more of my truck brakes. I get a lot more pedal before the ABS kicks in - it definitely doesn't stop faster but don't be afraid to use all the brakes (that's the same thing I'm going to tell you about racecars :D).

Fbody383
04-29-2021, 11:56 AM
...but don't be afraid to use all the brakes (that's the same thing I'm going to tell you about racecars :D). Fourth gens LOVE rear brake... :cool:

Everybody should experience that at least once

Supercharged111
04-29-2021, 05:27 PM
Fourth gens LOVE rear brake... :cool:

Just be sure you wear the brown pants.

39PitCrew
04-30-2021, 08:09 AM
Fourth gens LOVE rear brake... :cool:

Speaking of things you'll only do once ...
Make sure the trailer is hooked to the truck when you load up the racecar.

rleng1
04-30-2021, 11:40 PM
Now that is funny right there. Who would do that? At Hallett?

Fbody383
05-01-2021, 06:07 PM
Now that is funny right there. Who would do that? At Hallett? Overall it's many... but the bunch of "winners" that helped me push the car onto the trailer... with no truck in sight... 'splain that one.

39PitCrew
05-02-2021, 01:34 PM
Overall it's many... but the bunch of "winners" that helped me push the car onto the trailer... with no truck in sight... 'splain that one.

What do you mean "not in sight"?
I parked it right beside the trailer after I drove it to town for ice or food or something ...

babablackgoat
05-07-2021, 04:25 PM
Seems I am going to give TDE at MSR-H a miss. Presently traveling returning Monday. Would be tricky to prep the car and rent a trailer next week while working. And have some other plans on Friday.

Thanks for input and support. See y’all at Hallett.