PDA

View Full Version : Steve Mulder - CMC #48

mitchntx
05-02-2021, 06:50 PM
I felt so many of you deserved to hear about Steve. He garnered respect from so many and he cares about you all.

In January Steve was diagnosed with colon cancer found via a colonoscopy. It was a single bleeding polyp and the scan showed a small tumor next to it.

Early February, when the surgeons were going in after the small mass, numerous tumors were discovered and they removed all that they could.

Early March, while trying to figure out why he couldn't hold down food or fluids, a scan revealed that all the tumors had returned and were quadrupled in mass.

He has never recovered enough to have any kind of cancer treatment.

12 weeks from a simple surgery to hospice. It is unbelievable how quick this has consumed him. He just turned 56.

In a conversation with his girlfriend yesterday, they are transitioning to hospice because hospice has more options that can make him comfortable as opposed to home health.

The outlook is bleak, very bleak ... best guess is a few weeks. He is weak, unable to talk and is drugged unconscious most of the time. I've only visited with him once for about 15 minutes since I last saw him in October, prepping deer camp. If you try to call or text, he won't (can't) answer. Visitation is severely limited due to COVID concerns.

I asked Brenda if I could share Steve's story with you guys and she said that Steve said "Sure". He loves each of you and we often spoke of the times we had racing with you folks.

He has his mom and dad, two daughters (both college graduates), a step daughter (grand daughter and son-in-law) and a step son (grand daughter and daughter-in-law) and of course, Brenda his girlfriend who is an angel of mercy and by his side.

Steve is my brother, helping me through some dark times and pray I was able to repay the favor in some way. We've toured the states surrounding Texas and had plans on riding the smokies this spring And the Dakotas this fall. We had profound conversations and times I will never forget.

God can produce wonderful miracles and I haven't given up hope. If so inclined, please put Steve on your prayer list, along with his family and me too, please.

ShadowBolt
05-02-2021, 08:31 PM
I am so sorry to hear this. Steve is a great guy. Life can be so cruel. After all he's been through. All I know to do is pray. Thanks for letting us know Mitch.

JJ

Supercharged111
05-02-2021, 08:52 PM
I'm not sure I know Steve? That blows for sure so my condolences, and it's something that I keep in mind wondering how I'll go out myself. Not everyone has the luxury of time when they go and cancer is a real MFer.

mitchntx
05-02-2021, 09:00 PM
I'm not sure I know Steve? That blows for sure so my condolences, and it's something that I keep in mind wondering how I'll go out myself. Not everyone has the luxury of time when they go and cancer is a real MFer.

Steve hung up his HANS in 2012 or maybe 2013. He was a key player in Glenn's National Championships, enduro wins and he and I visited the RM region in 2010 (I believe) at a track outside Pueblo.

Fbody383
05-02-2021, 09:11 PM
I asked Brenda if I could share Steve's story with you guys and she said that Steve said "Sure". He loves each of you and we often spoke of the times we had racing with you folks.

Steve is my brother, helping me through some dark times and pray I was able to repay the favor in some way. We've toured the states surrounding Texas and had plans on riding the smokies this spring And the Dakotas this fall. We had profound conversations and times I will never forget.

God can produce wonderful miracles and I haven't given up hope. If so inclined, please put Steve on your prayer list, along with his family and me too, please. Mitch, I had been thinking about the past group of CMC guys that brought me into this crazy thing the last couple of days with Hallett coming up; If I remember correctly, once Steve was using some liquid CO2 to make a block for his coolsuit.

Please forward the Francis' love and prayers for the entire family - including people like you who are family by choice.

I don't have the words - this just hurts.

mitchntx
05-02-2021, 09:25 PM
once Steve was using some liquid CO2 to make a block for his coolsuit.

Yessir that was him.

He also had a "manifold" built into a cooler that allowed multiple suits to be plugged in. Was nice for those midday driver's meetings.
We used it during 3 gun matches. When asked about it, he always told folks it was his portable dialysis machine.

mitchntx
05-02-2021, 09:54 PM
After all he's been through. All I know to do is pray. Thanks for letting us know Mitch.

JJ

Jerry,

He has certainly seen his share of pain. He always told me his goal was to get his daughters through school and the youngest graduated last year.
His daughters had introduced him to Brenda, who had also lost a spouse very suddenly. He told me once that it was perfect because they each could say something about their respective spouses and they each understood what the other was doing. It was a kindred spirit.

Supercharged111
05-02-2021, 10:45 PM
Steve hung up his HANS in 2012 or maybe 2013. He was a key player in Glenn's National Championships, enduro wins and he and I visited the RM region in 2010 (I believe) at a track outside Pueblo.

I didn't come online myself until late 2013 so that explains why I don't know him. I really don't know what to say, so I wish you all the best of luck.

michaelmosty
05-03-2021, 10:30 AM
Dang, so sorry to hear of this but thank you for sharing Mitch. Steve was such a great guy to be around and so much fun to race with on track. He always had a smile on his face.

Will definitely have Steve, his family, and all his loved ones in our prayers.

AllZWay
05-03-2021, 11:33 AM
Dayum... Man I hate to hear this. Steve is a such great guy and we sure have had fun over the years. Mitch.... Let him know we are praying for him and are thinking about him.

Having been through colon cancer myself 5 years ago... I found out at age 48... Guys... get yourself checked. It is one of the most treatable forms of cancer if found early. I was lucky.. my bleading polyp was not cancerous, but it caused me to get checked and had a cancerous polyp that was just getting to the point of escaping the colon.

rleng1
05-03-2021, 03:41 PM
Mitch, thanks for sharing. My heart pains, knowing one of us in this brotherhood, is suffering.
I know it is especially tough on you. You, Glenn, James and Steve did so much for CMC movement in NASA Texas.
My prayers are with you, Steve and y’all’s families.
My God shower you with peace and comfort.

Al Fernandez
05-03-2021, 08:02 PM
Thanks for sharing Mitch and so sorry to hear this. I’ll echo the sentiments; great guy to be around and race against. Damn shame when life takes these turns.

mitchntx
05-04-2021, 08:08 PM
I visited Steve today and told him of the sentiments you all shared. He was visibly moved.

64GunPilot
05-05-2021, 08:16 AM
Didnt know him, but praying for comfort, peace, and miracle healing.

Alien
05-05-2021, 11:32 PM
Damn. Thanks for sharing this Mitch.

When I was starting out in 08-09 he came around a few times to help me diagnose teething problems. Genuinely a nice guy that represented the spirit of the CMC paddock.

Cancer sucks.

babablackgoat
05-06-2021, 07:33 AM
Although I do not know Steve, my heart goes out to him, his family, and his friends.
Mark

Storm Trooper
05-08-2021, 07:09 PM
Our Prayers are with Steve and his Family!

mitchntx
05-13-2021, 06:26 PM
Steve transitioned to hospice care this week.

Supercharged111
05-13-2021, 10:43 PM
Steve transitioned to hospice care this week.

What about dedicating this Hallett to him?

ShadowBolt
05-14-2021, 07:12 AM
What about dedicating this Hallett to him?

I really like that idea!

JJ

BryanL
05-14-2021, 08:43 AM
I really like that idea!

JJ

Absolutely great idea!

ShadowBolt
05-14-2021, 08:47 AM
Would Will rename the event to The Steve Mulder Summer Shootout? Kinda cool if you ask me.

JJ

BryanL
05-14-2021, 09:26 AM
Sweet. What about naming the CMC award as well in the future: The Steve Mulder Summer Shootout - Those who know would remember the Steve Mulder Summer Slick when he blew his motor in spectacular fashion at the finish line!

Cody Powell
05-14-2021, 10:16 AM
Steve is such a great guy, a true gentleman racer! My favorite race evaa was with him and Mitch for like 7th place at Hallett.
This event has to be renamed!

ShadowBolt
05-14-2021, 11:08 AM
Steve is such a great guy, a true gentleman racer! My favorite race evaa was with him and Mitch for like 7th place at Hallett.
This event has to be renamed!

I texted Will asking if the name of the Hallett race could be changed to The Steve Mulder Summer Shootout. No response so far. Certainly things like t-shirts would have already been printed so too late for anything like that. Maybe more of you should send the same request.

JJ

mitchntx
05-18-2021, 09:14 AM
Wow ...

I have passed along the ideas and sentiments.

Edit:

Steve's kids would like to get their hands on those stickers.
They are also trying work out logistics to be there.

This outpouring has lifted their spirits.

GlennCMC70
05-18-2021, 11:29 AM
I first heard about this a few weeks ago.
Devastating news for sure. Steve is truly a nice guy and absolutely does not deserve this as he and his family has endured allot over the years.
I wish his family and friends comfort in the hard times they are going through.

So proud to have once been a part of this group and to see you guys honor a fellow racer and friend.
All we can do is honor his memory and remember the smiles we shared with him.
Gonna miss him for sure.

GlennCMC70
05-18-2021, 11:39 AM
Also.... I am not here much these days.
If you need to reach me, you can @
8 one 7 three 5 zero 3 five 4 two.

AllZWay
05-19-2021, 10:29 AM
Sweet. What about naming the CMC award as well in the future: The Steve Mulder Summer Shootout - Those who know would remember the Steve Mulder Summer Slick when he blew his motor in spectacular fashion at the finish line!

I definitely remember it... Pretty scary sliding all over the place.

It is tough thinking of Steve right now and what he and the family is going through. :(

fscott
05-19-2021, 10:50 AM
Having been through colon cancer myself 5 years ago... I found out at age 48... Guys... get yourself checked.

I read this thread last Friday as I was going in for a colonoscopy. They found two polyps, most likely benign, and are waiting on biopsies now.

I don't know Steve, but from what you all are saying, I missed out on a great guy. I'm sorry for Steve and for all of you.

michaelmosty
05-19-2021, 07:07 PM
Thank you for sharing Frederic, praying they are indeed benign!!

When James originally shared his issue years ago it prompted me to get checked out for an issue I had that thankfully ended up being just a fissure.

Just like doing preventative maintenance on the race cars, we need to do the same on our bodies!!

mitchntx
05-19-2021, 09:35 PM
God speed Steve Mulder.
I loved you like a brother.

michaelmosty
05-20-2021, 08:25 AM
So sorry to hear. Prayers and peace be with all family and friends.

Gerno
05-20-2021, 09:48 AM
Sad news for sure. Didn't know Steve but wish I could have.

My dad had colon cancer in his early 40's and had to have 12" of his colon removed. Luckily he survived but the surgery was very rough. Due to this I've been getting a colonoscopy regularly since I was in my mid 20's to be safe because of family history. I highly recommend everyone talk to their Dr about getting checked out, its very simple and painless.

Fbody383
05-20-2021, 12:09 PM
Man Mitch, I hate to hear it. Pass on our thoughts and prayers to his family.

And praying for you too - it doesn't get easier just because we have more birthdays under our belts.

AllZWay
05-20-2021, 02:10 PM
Dayum... It is so sad to hear Steve is gone. Great dude, great family guy, great racer, and awesome guy to hang out with at the track. :(

mitchntx
05-20-2021, 09:44 PM
2008 Banquet

http://www.aicmctexas.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=1980&stc=1

2008 Hallet

Fbody383
05-21-2021, 08:36 AM
Vimeo 2011 AICMC Year in Review

https://vimeo.com/33429015

Aight... we need projector and sound at Hallett... time to pull out the home movies.

Supercharged111
05-22-2021, 12:03 AM
2008 Banquet

http://www.aicmctexas.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=1980&stc=1

2008 Hallet

Is that TX Blue that Cody Powell ran?

ShadowBolt
05-24-2021, 10:49 AM
So sorry Mitch. I know this will be really hard on you. Call me if you need to talk.

JJ

mitchntx
06-02-2021, 11:57 AM
Arrangements have been made.

June 12th @ 2pm
Mission Park Dominion
20900 IH 10
San Antonio

marshall_mosty
06-03-2021, 08:37 AM
All,
The AI/CMC Championship race at Hallett this year will be the first annual "Steve Mulder Summer Shootout". The new plaque has been reworked and is ready for the weekend.
RIP Steve! God speed, sir!!

https://scontent-hou1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.6435-9/r270/192882030_10215283870209410_143253678827200089_n.j pg?_nc_cat=107&ccb=1-3&_nc_sid=0debeb&_nc_ohc=CzmWTndErgcAX_6ahQH&_nc_ht=scontent-hou1-1.xx&tp=31&oh=d12e2e2be2016dd5ac3ba0eaa4477751&oe=60E05748

mitchntx
06-03-2021, 09:20 AM
I forwarded the image to the family.
They loved it.

Can I make a request?
A podium photo with the winner holding the trophy would be a great photo to have hanging at Brenda's backyard tiki hut.

AllZWay
06-03-2021, 09:37 AM
This is awesome that the trophy is named after Steve.

In this video... I follow Steve for several laps.

https://youtu.be/MdAUVBgvD1E?t=111 This should start right where Steve enters my camera view up close.

marshall_mosty
06-03-2021, 09:44 AM
They loved it.

Can I make a request?
A podium photo with the winner holding the trophy would be a great photo to have hanging at Brenda's backyard tiki hut.

We can ABSOLUTELY make that happen!

BryanL
06-03-2021, 11:27 AM
They loved it.

Can I make a request?

Great request! Mitch they have a new winners circle so we can get some pics and maybe one of the whole group. I've been to the Tiki hut and it would be great there.

Supercharged111
06-06-2021, 11:45 PM
I've seen a few different locations for the sticker, are we going to try and somewhat standardize its location? I held off putting mine on for that reason.

fscott
06-08-2021, 10:17 AM
I'm not an authority on anything at all. But I put mine in my Mustang's driver side rear window. This way the car is facing forward, and it's in a place that is unlikely to take damage.
And I like the idea that Steve will be chasing me whenever I drive the car.

By the way, be careful of the rear bumper detail when peeling the sticker. It's very thin and easily messed up. Use caution, and clean/degrease the glass thoroughly beforehand to ensure maximum stickage.

Wade
06-08-2021, 02:25 PM
Everyone post up some pictures of the 48 decal on your car please!

ShadowBolt
06-08-2021, 02:51 PM
Everyone post up some pictures of the 48 decal on your car please!

I want to thank you Wade for making these! They looked great. I will get a pic today after work.

Jerry

BryanL
06-08-2021, 04:26 PM
Sent this to Mitch from the track. He forwarded it to the family and they asked about anymore stickers.

Wade-big thanks to making these!

Think we put the 48 on the left rear quarter when Dawn passed. So I put the car under it.