PDA

View Full Version : Racers Ranch visit

oz98cobra
11-06-2006, 01:31 PM
Went to the DriversEdge Racers Ranch preview on Saturday. Track looks like it going to be fantastic - a real race track - a fast racetrack - one that flows as opposed to the current trend of F1 style of all straights with hairpins at each end.

In fact, if they build it as currently laid out, it will be TOO fast when run in the full configuration of both tracks together - essentially there is a 1000'+ straight with 100mph high speed turn at the end leading onto a 2000'+ straight - with yet another high speed turn (120mph+) following that straight! IMO, this is just pure craziness for a country club style track where people will be driving street cars with no roll bars - high HP cars could hit 180mph on the long straight then crash and burn (literally!) trying to make the high speed corner! Check the track map on their website to get an idea - and it's a whole lot more apparent when you actually drive around the course!

Myself and a few other instructors voiced our concerns about this section, and they say they will discuss them with the track designer (who is well known designer Alan Wilson of Mid America, Barber and Miller Park fame - http://www.wilsonmotorsport.com/). I see all kinds of problems with this design - not just dangerous top speeds and cornering speeds, but also speed differentials between high and low HP cars (as in CMC guys would top out half way down and take a nap while the GPC cars blast past at more than 50mph faster! :shock:) - and I for one as an instructor am not going to sit in the right seat of some students weapon street car going 180mph down the straight and 150 through a corner! I like speed, but I'm not an idiot!

At the very least, I think they need to put in a chicane midway along the 2000ft straight to kill the rediculous speeds - it would be easy to make this optional depending on what type of event was running? Otherwise, if they don't, you won't see orgs like NASA racing that track configuration! When run as two short tracks, they are fine, and both look like a blast to drive.

There will be a kart track as well, horse trails, a gun club, and maybe a 4 wheeler/dirt bike playground?

The facility is aimed at attacting motor heads with serious cash to spend - some to build their dream homes on $275,000 5 acre lots as part of the larger 1600 acre motorsport and equestrian themed ranch, with regular memberships starting at $25000 plus $300 a month dues - I did say serious cash! :roll:

They intend to invite PCA, BMWCCA, NASA and club level SCCA to hold events there, but there is no plan, desire or capability to host national events there, so no chance of seeing Grand Am, ALMS, or any other top series there unfortunately.

See some pics of the track and ranch here: http://gallery.mistphotography.com/g/racers_ranch and the official website at http://www.racersranch.com/

They have a couple more open houses scheduled soon if you want to go check it out.

AI#97
11-06-2006, 06:31 PM
I was supposed to be there at 1pm on Saturday but figured I couldn't afford it anyway....guess I was right! So how fast do you think a good AI car could get on that track? 160mph?!

mitchntx
11-06-2006, 09:15 PM
So how fast do you think a good AI car could get on that track? 160mph?!

Probably. Yours? ... 120 or so.

:rim shot:

AI#97
11-06-2006, 09:34 PM

Probably. Yours? ... 120 or so.

:rim shot:

I think your dreaming about YOURS!!! LOL!

Seriously, if we are doing 145-148 at TWS going into T1...I think Daron has a valid point about RR... Those with .85 th gears are going to run out of gear if they can't pull 6k rpm...

Glad I can pull 6600 and have a .8 5th.....and a 6th!!! :wink:

Oh, and Brakes?! :shock:

mitchntx
11-06-2006, 10:06 PM

Good question. Any one know of one?

:rim shot 2:

mitchntx
11-06-2006, 10:08 PM

Only AI car that comes to mind that would stand a glimmer of hope is Richard Pederson's, the 2006 AI series champion.

:rim shot 3:

mitchntx
11-06-2006, 10:10 PM
I crack me up, sometimes ...

http://www.dailyhaha.com/_pics/catlaugh.jpg

marshall_mosty
11-06-2006, 10:34 PM
Mitch,
I'm just going to hold my breath until we see another cat picture...

http://www.mustangmods.com/ims/u/1280/3889/116522.jpg

AI#97
11-06-2006, 11:27 PM

Only AI car that comes to mind that would stand a glimmer of hope is Richard Pederson's, the 2006 AI series champion.

:rim shot 3:

Ah, the same one I drug down the straight at TWS like he had an anchor out... No offense to Chris and Richard for their efforts but trust me, they got off lucky due to my misfortune both at hallet and TWS... and I think they know it.

Whatever Mitch....I know you are trying to get my goat here but had I not missed the second race at TWS from heat exhaustion, you would be sucking on my nuts instead of Chris'.... find a cat picture for that one. :roll:

rest of this response is in a PM to you............

GlennCMC70
11-06-2006, 11:33 PM
save mitch the trouble on the PM and CC me.

i'm just kidding. .........he'll call me. :wink:

AI#97
11-06-2006, 11:34 PM
See some pics of the track and ranch here: http://gallery.mistphotography.com/g/racers_ranch and the official website at http://www.racersranch.com/

They have a couple more open houses scheduled soon if you want to go check it out.

After looking at the pictures, I wonder if they aren't blowing their wad early!! Helicopter tours?! Wow...wonder why all the smart rich people aren't already members at Cresson?

Don't get me wrong, I hope these guys are successful so the track gets completed and we get a chance to race on it but is there really this great of a market for club tracks in this state? If so, why don't we see more race cars? Do they just not know about NASATX?

Maybe I missed something in economics class but when OVERSUPPLY happens, you can't get top dollar for the product like these guys are asking.... That might be good for us though after the tracks are re-sold at $0.25 on the dollar and then they can make a profit and stay open!

:shruggs shoulders:

GlennCMC70
11-06-2006, 11:37 PM
Matt, i ran a weekend w/ NASA TX way back in like 2001. forgot about them after that, untill i read an article in Hot Rod about CMC. looed up CMC on the net, linked to NASA TX, found a date, came to an event.
NASA TX does not advertise enough.

jeffburch
11-07-2006, 07:12 AM
Shoot, after they blow their wad on a GT Porch and a membership to one of the joints who has money left over to go wheel to wheel.
Plus, a helmet will mess up the hair (huh TC).
Can the metroplex support 3 of these things? Doubtful.

"Jeeves, please bring the Long Ranger around"

jb

mitchntx
11-07-2006, 08:21 AM
Apparently I took it a little too far. For that Matt, I apologize.

While the intent was some light-hearted fun at the expense of a friend and competitor, it was in inappropriate in Matt's eyes and that's all that matters.

Again, please accept my apology.

RichardP
11-07-2006, 09:05 AM
Ah, the same one I drug down the straight at TWS like he had an anchor out... No offense to Chris and Richard for their efforts but trust me, they got off lucky due to my misfortune both at hallet and TWS... and I think they know it.

Whatever Mitch....I know you are trying to get my goat here but had I not missed the second race at TWS from heat exhaustion, you would be sucking on my nuts instead of Chris'.... find a cat picture for that one. :roll:

Lucky??? We were anything but lucky this year. I can't believe all the bad luck we had this year.

You drug us down the front straight but Chris still finished in front of you in the first race even with the motor clearly going south.

If you had nutted up and put your car back together for Hallett, you would be champion. If you had gone out in the second race TWS at a reduced pace and finished just half of the laps, you would be champion.

We got the championship this year and luck had nothing to do with it.

Richard P.

j3ffbrooks
11-07-2006, 10:23 AM
Lucky??? We were anything but lucky this year. I can't believe all the bad luck we had this year.

We got the championship this year and luck had nothing to do with it.

Amen!

Adam Ginsberg
11-07-2006, 11:08 AM

Is it any wonder that people wanted Richard and Chris to win the AI championship?

RP and CM won the 2006 AI Championship because they persevered, came to every event, worked their collective asses off, and found every means possible to earn points. They earned it with hard work - not with luck.

Mitch - those rim shots were hilarious, and very well done. Don't apologize because Matt can handle some good natured ribbing.

Mike Bell
11-07-2006, 11:16 AM
Is it any wonder that people wanted Richard and Chris to win the AI championship?

Huh? People wanted??? Don't lump me into your "mess with Matt" post.

AI#97
11-07-2006, 11:19 AM

You drug us down the front straight but Chris still finished in front of you in the first race even with the motor clearly going south.

Richard P.

richard, don't want to argue with you but had Morgan not nearly ran me off course in R1 at TWS, the 4 to 5 car length lead I had going into T1 would not have changed...

As for hallet, you should know you can't throw a motor together in a week...so no Nutt effort could have fixed that. Yes, you guys are this year's champs....how about next year, we get rid of drops and see where the chips fall? the focus of this "grassroots" series will definitely take a different look and Donovan would likely kick both of our butts! :shock:

Mitch, thanks for the apology here and in the PM.

AI#97
11-07-2006, 11:26 AM

RP and CM won the 2006 AI Championship because they persevered, came to every event, worked their collective asses off, and found every means possible to earn points. They earned it with hard work - not with luck.

Mitch - those rim shots were hilarious, and very well done. Don't apologize because Matt can handle some good natured ribbing.

Hey Adam, instead of driving wedges into this group, why don't you stick one up your ass?! You might enjoy THAT more.... :roll:

Back on topic......Burch, I guess they wouldn't go racing after all if they can't feel their wind in their hair?! :lol:

Boudy
11-07-2006, 11:55 AM
"I love it when chicks fight." :lol:

Proctor, I got this one for you. You're not slippin' are you?

Boudy

RichardP
11-07-2006, 12:26 PM
As for hallet, you should know you can't throw a motor together in a week...so no Nutt effort could have fixed that.

What do you mean I know??? B.S.

On the other hand we can check the tapes. You said yourself you could have made it. You must have had at least 30 posts waffling back and forth on whether you were going to do it or not. In the end I remember you deciding that you were going to wait on parts to make the motor better because it wasn't worth it since Hallett sucked so bad.

Richard P.

AllZWay
11-07-2006, 12:28 PM
"I love it when chicks fight." :lol:

Proctor, I got this one for you. You're not slippin' are you?

Boudy

Well.... I can't say I know these guys enough to get in the middle of their.... "cat fight". :D

RichardP
11-07-2006, 12:32 PM
Apparently I took it a little too far. For that Matt, I apologize.

I didn't think you took it too far. I thought they were funny and I didn't see any intent on your part to be mean or derogatory.

If you see an opportunity to use me as the butt of a joke to make this place more funny, please don’t hesitate. This place can get way too serious at times...

Richard P.

GlennCMC70
11-07-2006, 12:35 PM
no dig on you AI guys, but its nice to see this happening in a place other than CMC and not involving me! :lol:

the thing is, there were so many things one team was willing to do, and so many things another wasnt willing to do to win the Championship. one team did it and it paid off.

Richard ........ come to the dark side..........come to CMC..........
wait, what am i saying, he'll kick our ass.
stay in AI. :wink:

Boudy
11-07-2006, 12:40 PM
"cat fight". :D

Huh, huh... He said, "Cat" Huh, huh...

Boudy

jeffburch
11-07-2006, 12:42 PM
"I was a tellin sew-n-sew that he should join CMC!.....Don't have all that drama".

:arrow: ------------------:D

jb

p.s. This post will help me set the Teams for the Banquet Race.
AI vs CMC or
Under/Over 200#'s
Under/Over 35 years
Blondes vs. Brunettes
Ford vs. Chevy
Goobers vs Gomers

mitchntx
11-07-2006, 01:13 PM
I hear what you are saying, Richard (and others), but taking shots and making light of one's situation, opinion or personality is risky. Offending someone is something I seem to do way too often.

It's the price I pay for being so damned funny, well liked and adorable. Sometimes I just want to hug me.

Unfortunately (or fortunately) Matt didn't find me or my comments very huggable.

Now knowing myself has given me pretty thick skin. I can take "ribs" with the best of them. But I've also learned that eating a little humble pie goes along with the meal.

Now, what I don't appreciate is that Mosty boy stealing my trademark. But, like I said above, someone like me becomes almost God-like to folks like him. Wanting to be me is a way of life for those around me now. I think I've come to terms with it quite well, though. It certainly hasn't gone to my head.

GlennCMC70
11-07-2006, 01:36 PM
i love it when chicks say their sorry. :lol:

best friends forever. xx's and oo's.

GlennCMC70
11-07-2006, 01:40 PM
has anyone seen a thread around here in the last few weeks w/ an update about that new track called Racers Ranch?
i've searched and all i seem to find is threads about chicks fighting. :?:

AI#97
11-07-2006, 01:54 PM
What do you mean I know??? B.S.

On the other hand we can check the tapes. You said yourself you could have made it. You must have had at least 30 posts waffling back and forth on whether you were going to do it or not. In the end I remember you deciding that you were going to wait on parts to make the motor better because it wasn't worth it since Hallett sucked so bad.

Richard P.

Let's see, the heads went out to get fixed and took 3 weeks to get back...don't know I would have ever figured out how to get spares that just lay around like the 5 liters on a Saturday and have the car running, tuned and back together to leave the following friday especially since I have to have the head gaskets made to order which is a 4 day lead, ordered the monday before the event and cometic shut down the line and had them on my door thursday night. Ever rebuild a motor and put in the car in 10 hours? :? ... as for 30 points... how about more like 100 points for a fourth race that magically appeared 4 days before the event instead of the posted 3 races....I will chalk that up to more "conspiracy theories" to burn drops for those that didn't want to attend.... :roll: My decision to not attend hallet was made on Sunday/Monday.....then suddenly on Monday it was "we are going to have 4 races now"....but let's not re-open THAT wound....and up till that point, I recall sitting on top of the overall points lead....?

Richard, I do sincerly commend you and chris on your efforts this year to keep the car on grid but that doesn't diminish the efforts on my part, or anyone else's part to do the same up to the point of which they are capable. This entire season is about "LUCK" of both kinds for every one of us. It's called racing. My bad fortune is OBVIOUSLY YOUR good fortune given we ran within a 1/2 second of each other at most courses....why do you think the competition was so close all year? I consider MYSELF lucky to have done as well as I did given it was my FIRST race season...In a new car, with an unproven motor combo and really having no idea how to race on Toyos or race at all for that matter. I just brought the best I had access to to the table and put it all on the track. You guys did the same and had better luck at making more races usually because you had pit crew. Don't know if you noticed but I am a one man show doing all my own driving and wrenching...

I guess what I should have said was that I felt I had better overall performance than you guys did by the numbers, however, you made more races to acquire points which funny enough, usually translates into a championship!

Everyone needs to pull their damn claws back and enjoy the off season. Obviously there are so many "opinions" around here that never get aired during the weekend but everyone keeps them penned up waiting to blast away on the internet on Monday.....or was it the following Monday? I forget Mitch's schedule... Without tone or situational clarity, it seems everything here gets taken to be negative which I think truly shows what everyone REALLY thinks around here of each other. Pretty sad really that there has to be two sides to every story. At least I can say that I am consistantly an asshole who doesn't pull punches. Maybe we just all need to bite our tongues AND put away the keyboards.........? :?

Adam Ginsberg
11-07-2006, 04:36 PM
Hey Adam, instead of driving wedges into this group, why don't you stick one up your ass?! You might enjoy THAT more.... :roll:

The class-act speaks again.....

GlennCMC70
11-07-2006, 04:38 PM
Adam, have you been hogging all the wedges again?

michaelmosty
11-07-2006, 04:57 PM
Sometimes I just want to hug me.

That's freakin hilarious!! :lol: :lol:

Boudy
11-07-2006, 05:06 PM
That's freakin hilarious!! :lol: :lol:

Huh, huh... He said, "Freakin." Huh, huh...

Boudy

marshall_mosty
11-07-2006, 05:57 PM
Now, what I don't appreciate is that Mosty boy stealing my trademark. But, like I said above, someone like me becomes almost God-like to folks like him. Wanting to be me is a way of life for those around me now. I think I've come to terms with it quite well, though. It certainly hasn't gone to my head.

Calm down turbo... :D Don't make me pull out my ninja cat...

http://www.mustangmods.com/ims/u/1280/3889/116698.jpg http://www.mustangmods.com/ims/u/1280/3889/116699.jpg

Todd Covini
11-08-2006, 01:07 AM

Did Mitch say he was becoming "Todd-like"???

j3ffbrooks
11-08-2006, 09:29 AM
Everyone needs to pull their damn claws back and enjoy the off season. ....... At least I can say that I am consistantly an asshole who doesn't pull punches. Maybe we just all need to bite our tongues AND put away the keyboards.........? :?

Matt

Honestly, I think you are the only one here that takes everything posted so personally and seriously.

We're all jabbing at each other on here, but you take it all to another level and set yourself up.

GlennCMC70
11-08-2006, 09:54 AM
TO-------A----------HO---------NU---------THA------------le-----vel.

Boudy
11-08-2006, 12:30 PM
Matt: We're all grown children here. It's fun to jack with each other and more fun to jack with those who ask for it. You are frustrated about getting jacked with all the time but yet, you keep giving us fuel and it's just fuckin' funny. Wedges up asses, championships of luck, I quit, I don't quit... Dude you are a tanker truck of shit to poke fun at. Most of us have a few hundred posts of 1, 2, and 3 liners, you have almost 900 posts of 3, 4, and 5 paragraphers. Just sit back and others will usually make your point for you. Say more with less!

The whole, "I was tellin' Glenn," thing started when you were overheard saying it and then someone said, "Yeah, that fucker's always tellin' somebody, something." It went from there...

Tell me to stick something up my ass if you like or think about what I'm telling you. One would make you feel like the big shot who doesn't pull punches and the other would provide nothing new to get jacked with over.

Trust me, this is good advise and meant well.

Boudy

mitchntx
11-08-2006, 01:08 PM
What placed where?

http://www.joshilynjackson.com/mt/archives/backofcat.jpg

You wanna do what?

http://images17.fotki.com/v307/photos/1/106083/1760678/uglycatsweaterhat-vi.jpg

This thread has gone down the crapper ...

http://www.thecatconnection.com/newsletter/aug03b-cathumor-b_files/3747467_image014.jpg

michaelmosty
11-08-2006, 01:23 PM
Mitch,
Please tell me those aren't your legs in that picture. :D

jeffburch
11-08-2006, 01:44 PM
Good Gawd, fuzz out those areas on that blue sweater one!
Is that an actual feline?
That's hidious.
jb

Todd Covini
11-08-2006, 01:45 PM
Mitch,
Please tell me those aren't your legs in that picture. :D

Nope...but after looking at the legs in the other pictures I think that's Mitch in the matching blue hat & coat!

Guys, I'm going to lock this thread now. We're WAYYYY off topic and spiraling downhill.

I can see very valid points on both sides. Matt is going thru a very tough time in his life right now, and while his posting style hasn't changed over the years, his receptiveness to jokes/criticism HAS changed recently in light of some of that poop goin on.

-=- Todd