PDA

View Full Version : Wanted: TX D.o.T. Info.

michaelmosty
11-06-2006, 02:24 PM
Saturday night I had some jackass rear-end me in a parking lot. Luckily the damage is minor. I got out and verified his name, license #, and license plate #. He told me his insurance was Nationwide and gave me his phone number.
I tried to call him Sunday morning only to find out that he gave me a false number. I know this guy is shady b/c he told me his license # and then when I asked to verify it by looking at the license he had "messed up" on one digit.
I talked to Nationwide today and did verify he has insurance wiht them (unless there is another Robert Anderson that lives in Garland and drives a new Ford Ranger pickup) but they would not release any of his information. The police would not release any information either.

What is the best way to find out his information? I have his name, license number and license plate number. Any info. is greatly appreciated.

Lesson learned: don't trust anyone these days. :evil:

AllZWay
11-06-2006, 02:42 PM
From past experience.... it pretty much doesn't matter. Your insurance company can try to get their money back, but an accident on private property is not bound by legalities.

Twice my wife was hit on private property... Once the person had no insurance and once they had expired insurance. The cops couldn't even give a ticket.

This past weekend.... a friends car was hit at TMS. The officer said basically the same thing. He gave them a form just to show the insurance company that an officer had been called.

jeffburch
11-06-2006, 08:35 PM
Mike,
email me everything you have on the goober.

jb

michaelmosty
11-07-2006, 10:27 AM
Info. sent, thanks JB!!

j3ffbrooks
11-07-2006, 10:32 AM
Mike,
email me everything you have on the goober.

jb

Mental Note: Don't piss off JB.

oz98cobra
11-07-2006, 02:45 PM
Michael,

I think you'll find that the "Duty to give information" applies whether or not the accident occured on the street or in a public carpark (only exclusions are on a private residence or private car park that you pay to park in) - and it is an offense to refuse to do this or provide false information.

Also, the traffic code specifically states that a police officer can investigate an incident that occurs in a public carpark provided the damage is over $1000 - you'll need to submit an accident reporting form within 10 days to make this happen.

Perhaps it's worth talking to the cops again?