PDA

View Full Version : Overheated aluminum 4.6 engine, is it trash?

fscott
08-04-2021, 08:49 AM
You all probably know already, back in March I ran my Mustang on the track without coolant (because I was an idiot).

It overheated, valves siezed up, and that was all she wrote.

I'm trying to decide what to do with the engine at this point. I could get the heads remachined. The pistons, bores, and block appear OK. However, I'm concerned about the metallurgy changing, and about the block warping.

Should I even attempt to save this motor, or should I scrap it?

Pranav
08-04-2021, 02:13 PM
I hate fucking with engines that have had shit happen to them.

I had cooling issues with my first lt1 block that were never fixed until I threw it away and started over with a new one.

How much is a core long block used? Always better to start with a never taken apart salvage pull and let a machine shop take it apart go through it the way they want to.

t500hps
08-05-2021, 07:32 AM
I can't answer your question but I'm running a tired 4.6 and am planning a new build this winter. Recently I bought a running junk yard 2002 Explorer engine and plan to use that block/heads on the new build (after a machine shop preps them). They came with aluminum blocks and PI heads. You could do the same, starting over with parts that haven't been "cooked". Cost me about $300 for the engine.

Sook
08-05-2021, 11:40 AM
You all probably know already, back in March I ran my Mustang on the track without coolant (because I was an idiot).

It overheated, valves siezed up, and that was all she wrote.

I'm trying to decide what to do with the engine at this point. I could get the heads remachined. The pistons, bores, and block appear OK. However, I'm concerned about the metallurgy changing, and about the block warping.

Should I even attempt to save this motor, or should I scrap it?

I think to really know if they've changed from a metallurgical standpoint, you have to know where you started.

If I was worried about it, I would not spend the money on getting questionable parts machined. Maybe talk to the machinist and see what they think. Luckily, we're not very hard on equipment in CMC :D/s.