PDA

View Full Version : 5 hours at TMS

mitchntx
11-10-2006, 08:07 AM
From 5 till 8 and from 9 till 11 ... run 4 laps, pit and change riders ... repeat.

That's a long time behind the wheel of a car. I have a LOT of respect for those guys driving that track at 1/2 again the speed I was driving it. I'm stiff and sore this morning. I need some Goody's ....

I did experience "going up the hill" a couple times. Brother, those walls come up awfully fast!

And when the banking goes away, the car's suspension REALLY loads or maybe that was ME!!! :shock:

Most of the time, we were running 115 to 125, but last night was the fastest I've driven that track, entering T1 and T3 at probably 150. I looked at the speedo once 1/2 way down the back straight and it going past 140. Squeeze it out to the wall and it feels like 240! All this was happening in a pack of 4 or 5 other cars doing a choreographed "race" designed to get and keep the cars close ... more of a thrill ride for the passengers.

And the best part? I get to send them an invoice for my services.

Isn't America great?

AllZWay
11-10-2006, 09:02 AM
Sounds really fun Mitch....

CMC17
11-10-2006, 09:14 AM
Sounds like you had more fun than should be allowed! :D

Anyone know the reason we don't run TMS? Is it because of the track layout, speeds or ??

Any videos from the event, Mitch?

Mike Bell
11-10-2006, 09:23 AM
Mitch,

I guess all that hard work and clean living is really starting to pay off! I've read some bad stories about the TMS course, guess some folks have had "challenges" with it. Glad to hear you guys had so much fun, can't imagine getting paid also!

I'm with EV, share some video if you get the chance!

mitchntx
11-10-2006, 09:40 AM
They recently installed this high tech in-car video system in all the cars. I'll see what I can do to get a clip.

And the "bumps" in T1-2 and in T3-4 are more like caverns at speed.

I truly am blessed. Who would have ever thought it possible.

Edit:
I know I've done my job when I get the passenger to apply the phantom brake pedal.

Last nights tally was ...
7 phantom brake applications
3 constant screamers
1 crier

cmarvel
11-10-2006, 09:43 AM
I suspect that the reason we don't run there is cost, but I don't know for sure.

I am not very excited about that place. We ran the ALMS course at what I think was the first DE there. I was at my usual all or nothing pace all weekend, and I enjoyed the high speeds. The problem is that the course (at least the one we drove) was BORING and amounted to a moving Dyno test. Basically the ALMS course was six u-turns and two chicanes. Two of the u-turns were the banking, so they are really straights.

Then I watched the Speed GT race where the factory Corvette hit the wall in the tri-oval going into the chicane. They happend to be on his in car camera when it happened. He had a tire go down, and was into the wall before he could make a steering input. Hit so hard the front window came out of the clips and landed on the hood. Ugly.

Just not my cup of joe.

mitchntx
11-10-2006, 09:47 AM
Chris, I don't think I would like to race the course either.

And the reason no one races there is because they ARE Texas Motor Speedway ...

Price and restrictions are enormous. As I understand it, part of the contract to "rent" the track is using "their" fire and rescue which isn't cheap either.

Mike Bell
11-10-2006, 10:24 AM
I found this of TMS at night:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNjiQLizExA

Video of the recent Drivers Edge night event from Sept. 06 in the cockpit of a BMW M3. I'm not familiar with the M3 dash, looks like you can see his speedo but what's that light that keeps flashing?? Shift light?

MB

cjlmlml
11-10-2006, 10:51 AM
traction control light comes on when working

mitchntx
11-10-2006, 12:10 PM
Interesting what Rick did to "safety up" the track.

The entrance onto the oval, just prior to T3, really pinches the car off and keeps exit of T4 speeds WAY down.

Most all other sanctioning groups that run a DE type event, place a "chicane" between the last dog leg and T1 entry, forcing the drivers to stay on the flat apron through T1 and T2. I've seen a couple cars lose the rear on the flat and slide up the hill and into the fence because of it.

Keeping the car on the banking was a smart move.

Exiting off the the oval out of T2 and into the infield is like having all the lights in house on and then them suddenly going off at once. It is a blind corner exit till your eyes can adjust to just head lights.