PDA

View Full Version : 2007 American Iron Rules

RichardP
11-20-2006, 01:44 PM
The new AI rules are out.

http://www.nasaproracing.com/rules/American-Iron-Rules.pdf

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Folks-

The 2007 edition is now available at www.americanironracing.com.

Quick summary of changes:

> AIV eliminated for 2007.
> Steering wheel locks must be removed.
> Driveshaft loops now required.
> AI minimum weight for V8's now 2700 pounds.
> Stickies added into rules and a few other things were cleaned up and clarified.

Other than that, no major changes and we'll continue on with the nation's best ponycar show. Many thanks to the directors and other "sounding boards" for the help and I'll look forward to seeing you all during my travels this year.

May you all have a happy and safe holiday season and a productive off season in the garage!

-JWL

marshall_mosty
11-20-2006, 02:36 PM
I'm glad I have a D/S loop, but just haven't gotten around to installing it...

The 2700 lb minimum is nice if I want to cut even more weight... curious... :wink:

Rob Liebbe
11-20-2006, 02:54 PM
I find it interesting that driveshaft loops were required in the "low horsepower" CMC cars before the "high horsepower" AI cars.

AIV gone - Todd's gonna have a 67 fastback for sale :shock:

jeffburch
11-20-2006, 03:06 PM
AIV gone?
What does this mean? Do those old clunkers (red '66 at the Nationals)
now class in AI, or do they go elsewhere?

jb

RichardP
11-20-2006, 03:45 PM
There is no year limit to the AI and AIX rules. The point of adding AIV was to give a place for all the old muscle cars running in various vintage classes a place to play in NASA.

The intent wasn't to have people build an AIV car. The intent was to have people with vintage cars come out and get hooked enough to update their cars with modern performance enhancements so they would be competitive in AI or AIX.

It never really worked out that way. People with vintage cars didn't come out and play. Mostly it just confused things by having everyone think that if you had an old car it must be in "vintage."

I don't believe Todd ever had any intent of building his car to vintage specs.

Richard P.

Todd Covini
11-20-2006, 10:24 PM
Nope...my project car is destined for AIX...nothing but modern suspension, modern drivetrain and modern body treatments. Nothing "period correct" about the '67 I'm building.

(Where's my lottery ticket?)

-=- T

PS- RP's spot on, as usual. AIV never caught on. The older AI cars at Nationals were either AI or AIX...(I almost took the front half of one home with me, but that's another story.) We didn't have a single AIV car at Nationals. R.I.P...A.I.V.

Todd Covini
11-20-2006, 10:28 PM
I find it interesting that driveshaft loops were required in the "low horsepower" CMC cars before the "high horsepower" AI cars.

I think you'll find some other "synergies" between CMC & AI this go around with the rules. Each year, we've tried to align them somewhat so that it's consistent between AI & CMC.

Pick 'yer Poison!

-=- T

macstang
11-20-2006, 10:59 PM
I got a driveshaft loop for sale-cheap.

MikeP99Z
11-20-2006, 11:03 PM
Grrrrr steering wheel lock removal...

Now i have to tear my steering column apart - not happy

mitchntx
11-20-2006, 11:09 PM
Shall I post my conspiracy theories now or wait for more evidence to pile up?

GlennCMC70
11-20-2006, 11:38 PM
call me mike, i know the easy way to fix it.

Todd Covini
11-21-2006, 09:57 AM

Teller is the quiet one.

AllZWay
11-21-2006, 10:00 AM

Go ahead and get it off your chest. :lol:

AI#97
11-21-2006, 10:07 AM
Grrrrr steering wheel lock removal...

Now i have to tear my steering column apart - not happy

Ugh....me too but I think the car is going on jackstands for about 6 months.... :(

oz98cobra
11-22-2006, 11:54 AM
2700lbs!!! Damn, where's that angle grinder ...

GlennCMC70
11-22-2006, 12:26 PM
the money you save on not building HP you will spend on a plasma cutter.

AI#97
11-22-2006, 01:04 PM
the money you save on not building HP you will spend on a plasma cutter.

currently, if I return to racing, the goal for the car is to go from 3090 to 2950 before it's first race next season....which means the driver is going to have to lose about 30 lbs too... Long road ahead either way.

David Love AI27
11-24-2006, 08:05 AM
2700lbs!!! Damn, where's that angle grinder ...

Hell, my cage alone weighs that much... at my current total of 3,300 I can get down to the min. if I remove the motor