PDA

View Full Version : high temp exhaust coating?

GlennCMC70
11-27-2006, 03:52 PM
anyone know of a quality place or have a hook-up @ a place that can do this??? i want to get my Y pipe coated. tired of replacing the wrap twice a year.

Todd Covini
11-30-2006, 01:04 AM
Careful big boy...there were some discussions on CMC forums that ceramic coating headers was not legal. I'm not so sure Y-pipes and exhaust would be any different.

I'd have to check my rule book and get a read but it's one of those "Covini Grey Areas".

-=- Todd

GlennCMC70
11-30-2006, 01:11 AM
so if i purchased an aftermarket Y pipe (cause anything after the manifolds is open) and it happens to be ceramic oated, it would be illegal?

Todd Covini
11-30-2006, 01:19 AM
I'm just saying let's be sure your interpretation is correct.
If the rules state everything after the header is open...then gold-plate 'em.

At this late hour, I'm just recollecting the whole "no coated headers" discussion and don't want you to get bitt. (I haven't seen another CMC car with ceramic coated exhaust...so just be careful and get a ruling first.) I've learned my lesson on acting first and getting interpretations later once or twice before. :roll:

-=- Todd

GlennCMC70
11-30-2006, 01:24 AM
its probably not gonna happen. i just spent $450 on new bearings and gaskets, valve springs and lifters and valve seals for my motor. last friday night i had everything but the cam and pistons/rods out of the block. heads still on, but that was it! trying to stop an oil leak. cubic dollars! that and it looks like my free clutch has bit the dust w/ all that oil leaking on it @ MSR-H. i was getting lots of slippage. looks like another $200 in off season spending. that and my 5 points are expired.
good thing i gots plenty of Toyo Bucks this year.

Adam Ginsberg
11-30-2006, 11:13 AM
It was discussed more than once on the CMC website:

Long linky (http://camaromustangchallenge.com/cmcbb/viewtopic.php?t=1117&highlight=ceramic).

Short linky (http://camaromustangchallenge.com/cmcbb/viewtopic.php?t=1105&highlight=ceramic).

According to what Al posted in the short linky, even your fiberglass wrap isn't permitted.

It's also addressed in the CCR's:

Section 18.6 Engine Paint and Coatings

Engine painting is allowed, provided that it is applied to external parts only. No painting or coatings to any internal drive train parts, manifolds, etc. is allowed, unless specifically allowed by class rules.

jeffburch
11-30-2006, 11:19 AM
Naaa.
Manifolds are one thing, F-Body Y-pipe that leans against oil pan is another.

Any f car that doesn't have their y wrapped is nuts.

jb

GlennCMC70
11-30-2006, 11:21 AM
the rules say manifolds. i'm not talking about manifolds here. and 18.6 says "engine".
and just so we are clear here. my manifolds are not wrapped. my Y pipe is and the rest of the exhaust. edited due to error on my part. i wrapped it to stop the buring of the paint on the floorpan. all it did was move it to the rear of the exhaust.
the wrap is having to be replaced 2 times a year. it also holds alot of oil and is a fire hazzard. the coatings will not do this.

Waco Racer
11-30-2006, 11:23 AM
It says manifolds, etc. My Camaro doesn't have an etc. but Glenn's might!

GlennCMC70
11-30-2006, 11:36 AM
8.26. Exhaust
All cars must use OEM stock exhaust manifolds. Any suitable exhaust system may be used after the OEM stock exhaust manifolds. The exhaust must exit behind the driver and be directed away from the car. Mufflers may be required to meet sound regulations depending on track location.

there is the rule. there are 3 requirements. exit behind the driver, directed away from the car, and possibly a muffler.

sounds like i can run what i want w/in those paramiters. if my wrap is not legal, say so now, and i'll cut it off.

jeffburch
11-30-2006, 11:51 AM
If my wrapped y is illegal no one said anything @ Ohio.
If deemed so, I'll turn them straight up thru the hood tractor puller style.

jb

Mike Bell
11-30-2006, 11:56 AM
I don't see Al saying wrapped Y pipes are illegal in that thread, I do see him saying that was something they should get the CMC Director's consensus on and his opinion was that it might not be legal, then no more info after that. If they let it run at Nat's without discussion why would it change? Seems like a good idea to me.

They did seem pretty clear on the coatings being illegal though.

GlennCMC70
11-30-2006, 12:12 PM
my car has been done for about a year and a half.

Adam Ginsberg
11-30-2006, 11:12 PM
If they let it run at Nat's without discussion why would it change?

Just because no one said anything about it at the Nat's means nothing. They didn't dyno any CMC cars at the Nats either - does that mean we don't have to dyno any longer?

my car has been done for about a year and a half.

Still means nothing - the setup on my car ( wheels and fenders ) have been that way since day one, and was verbally ok'd by Todd. You saw what happened in Ohio - it's costing me s decent chunk of change to make the changes.

GlennCMC70
11-30-2006, 11:19 PM
Adam, respond to the comments. all you have posted is about the manifolds. i dont have wrapped manifolds. the links you posted are taking about the manifolds and OEM headers for fords.

GlennCMC70
11-30-2006, 11:22 PM
Adam, you have been corrected. see link. looks like to me all can wrap and coat all the exhaust AFTER the OEM manifolds.
http://www.camaromustangchallenge.com/cmcbb/viewtopic.php?p=13950

Mike Bell
12-01-2006, 06:58 AM
If they let it run at Nat's without discussion why would it change?

Just because no one said anything about it at the Nat's means nothing. They didn't dyno any CMC cars at the Nats either - does that mean we don't have to dyno any longer?

YGBSM. They ran a National event and didn't dyno ANY CMC cars? I thought I'd read where each of you took a turn on the dyno?? Guess I'm getting old and losing my marbles.........

GlennCMC70
12-01-2006, 08:20 AM
we got on the dyno for 2 reasons.
1) it was common practice in TX for cars w/out an adjustable fuel pressure regulater to just put "N/A" in the spot for that. that was wrong and thus our dyno sheets were illegal. this required a dyno cert session.
2) a big rumor that the dyno was reading really high as floating around. one of the Cali guys pulled a monster # thursday up there. mass panic ensued and many people got on the dyno just to be sure they were legal.
and they did dyno 1 CMC car after checking engine vacuum and cam lift. he passed as far as we can tell.

jeffburch
12-01-2006, 08:25 AM
They told me to go.
I showed them my sheet from the day b4 and that sufficed.

jb

Adam Ginsberg
12-01-2006, 09:31 AM
I should have qualified my statements:

1. The CCR's talk about "manifolds, etc" - someone could interpret "etc" to mean an awful lot, not to mention a competitor could pull out the CMC standard "it doesn't say you can, so you can't". My point was - it's been discussed before, and to get a clarification before assuming it's permitted. Also, just because no one said anything at the Nats doesn't not automatically make something legal. Additionally, if you notice, I didn't say it was, or wasn't legal - just that ceramic coatings ( which is what Glenn asked about ) had been discussed before.

2. Only a few cars were asked to dyno at the Nats, but none were done after the final National race. My point was - JB was asked to dyno, but produced a sheet from a previous dyno run, and it was accepted. If they wanted to uphold the integrety of the series, IMO, they should have taken cars right from impound directly to the dyno. A previous dyno sheet doesn't mean a competitor couldn't/wouldn't have changed something after that dyno was run ( I'm not advocating Jeff made any changes, just that it can be done ). The #20 car had "questionable vacuum", and supposedly questionable valve lift, but I don't think he was told to dyno the car.

Eh....time to go.

GlennCMC70
12-01-2006, 09:50 AM
i was around when that thread w/ Micheal Tomlin was started and read it daily as it progressed. so that was not news to me.

whos to say i didnt have my wrap approved before i installed it. #1 reason to clarify rules as questions come up.

Tex89
12-01-2006, 11:23 AM
Local Dallas Powder coater I know. Did my headers & engine pieces.

www. PAULSPOWDERCOATING.com 469-688-0837
****NEW SHOP LOCATION****
3325 IH-30 Mesquite 75150

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i225/Fincik/DSCN0805.jpg

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i225/Fincik/DSCN0693.jpg

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i225/Fincik/DSCN0803.jpg

Mike Bell
12-01-2006, 01:46 PM
I am very suprised top 3 or 4 finishers didn't get on the dyno after the Championship race. Was that the same for AI as well?

jeffburch
12-01-2006, 01:49 PM
Yes.
Think they planned it that way.
Did all scrutineering Fri-Sat.
Plus, after the melee that WAS the race, there woulda been WAY too much to deal with.
Prolly still wouldn't know the results.

jb