PDA

View Full Version : 2007 25hrs at Thunderhill

Boudy
11-30-2006, 10:25 PM
With the 25 this weekend, I've been thinking. I'd love to run the 25 next year and have been thinking of building a car specifically for the event. Found a G3 Chevy :shock: but it didn't work out. Then it hit me that my Legends might be a perfect ride. Bullet proof motor, (exept for the one I had, haha...) built in tranny and clutch, easier on brakes than a most... well, you get the idea. Anyway, if I go with the plan, I would like to run the car at some of our events to bug it out prior to the 25. The idea leaves me wondering...

What group would it run in at TX events?
Can I run 2 cars at our events?
I don't recall seeing any Legends exept at Hallett. Would I have anyone to run with at our regular events?
Who were the guys at Hallett? I'd like to get in touch with them as I'll need help with setup.
Could a Legends compete in E3 at the 25? 2 of them finished 3rd and 4th in group F at the Nats.

Thanks,

Boudy

y5e06
12-01-2006, 08:29 AM
Corey and I have discussed this for next year. We think it would be a total blast. Haven't found a 3rd or 4th driver yet...
A couple weeks ago I picked up a solid '93 miata complete with hard top for a song, been contemplating on just turning it into the bare bones SM to run the 25. Although, except for the spring & swaybar source issues with spec neon, SN may be the way to go (CHEAP!). You can get running/driving cars all day long for <$1K
Building another car is always fun, I just haven't really finished or dialed mine in yet.

Nick
12-01-2006, 08:29 AM
You'll need a co-driver or two...

jeffburch
12-01-2006, 08:32 AM
Any/all.
I'm interested in the 25hrs.
Will get there and pony the driver entry fee.
Just can't help with the expense of the car.

jb

GlennCMC70
12-01-2006, 08:41 AM
when my plane lands, have the car warmed up and ready to win!

i would LOVE to do this.

Waco Racer
12-01-2006, 10:17 AM
I have some interest in this as well. I have a good line on a SM that could be used. The Legends cars run at the Cresson events. I know because I've driven one there on more than one occasion.

gt40
12-01-2006, 10:38 AM
I have some interest in this as well. I have a good line on a SM that could be used. The Legends cars run at the Cresson events. I know because I've driven one there on more than one occasion.I wouldn't mind crewing for this, or being team photographer.

Mike Bell
12-01-2006, 10:41 AM
I'd love to do this, I'm a funded driver. Can pay my part of the expenses as long was we're not talking GAC type budget lol. SM or SN or Legends type budget would be more like it for me.

AllZWay
12-01-2006, 10:47 AM
Sounds like a blast to me as well.

Boudy
12-01-2006, 11:02 AM
OK, that's 2 potential cars, 1 confirmed crew, and 47 confirmed drivers. :wink: :roll: :D

If Texas is going to make a showing in 07', I guess this is as good a place as any to start making plans.

My thoughts are a light car, easy on brakes, bullet proof motor, and a fuel sipper, which should all lend to low operating costs. SM, SN, and Legends all seem to fit the bill.

Boudy

GlennCMC70
12-01-2006, 11:07 AM
first things first. link us to the rules.

Boudy
12-01-2006, 11:11 AM
http://www.nasaproracing.com/rules/enduro.pdf
http://www.nasaproracing.com/25hour/supps.pdf

BTW: Clifton is gauging interest in an enduro for our region over in upcoming events, be sure to weigh in.

Boudy

GlennCMC70
12-01-2006, 11:21 AM
Cali has the 25hrs, we could do the 12.5 hours. but do the 12.5 @ night.
kinda like the 24 and 12 hour deals.

y5e06
12-01-2006, 12:54 PM
I really think SM might be the best choice (as I don't know much about the legends)
Huge knowledge base on SM
Dead nuts reliable engine & drive train
Front engine, rear drive (I hate FWD cars)
light, fuel sipping
cheap tires, brakes, parts; easy on 'em too
excellent resale potential
possible NASA-TX enduro car

requirements for 25 minimum:
-miata w/ hard top (got both!)
-weld-in autopower cage (or long weekend at LAW...)
-SM spec'ed suspension
-various sets of wheels & tires
-borrowed from other car(s) & spares: window nets, extinguisher, seat, harness
-basic fab'ed nose mount light bar, optional (JCwhitney or Autozone cheap lights)
-consumables R&R: wheel bearings, rotors, brake lines, pads, all fluids & hoses, etc.

Basically the 'Beater' race car that can be used for enduro's and lending/renting to other folks.

Only issue is I don't know how well I'd fit into one even w/ gutted interior and Nascar bars. the street car is a tight fit. Itty Bitty co-drivers (um, corey) will need a booster chair.

Waco Racer
12-01-2006, 02:00 PM
Morgan, I know of one already put together.

oz98cobra
12-01-2006, 02:06 PM
I know the guys in a well know Dallas based team who have done the 25hr many times - and finished in the top ten outright and 2nd in class twice - so they would be good guys to consult when putting together a plan.

I think it would be great to do the 25hr - but I'm not so sure you guys are on the right track as far as choosing the right car to do it with? This is the AI/CMC group - a bunch of V8 racers - and here you are talking about doing it in a Spec Miata! Yawn!

While I see the logic that makes SM a platform worth considering on paper - and if the only goal was to go to the 25hr to race something affordable that has a better than even chance of being there at the finish, I'd say it would be a pretty good choice - but if excitement value, a chance of winning or doing well in class, and having the team stand out from the crowd are also important factors, then consider these points:

- First of all, take a look at the entry list for 2006 at http://www.nasaproracing.com/25hour/entrylist.pdf and look at all the entries from TX - every single one of them is driving a freaking Miata or MX5 - so it seems to me that the perfect way NOT to get noticed at the 07 25hr would be to turn up with a Miata from Texas!

- There are dozens of Miatas in this thing, most of which are entered by teams that eat, breath, crap and race Miatas every weekend, so what chance has a first time team of newbies with little to no experience racing the marque have of placing anywhere near the top of class? Not much I'd say?

- On the other hand, we race V8 muscle cars every weekend - it's what most of know very well - we have the experience to take a platform like that and make it work for us.

To my way of thinking, there is not inconsiderable cost involved in putting together a car for, and running this event, regardless of the platform - so for my money, if I am going to make the effort, I would want to get more from the expense and the trip than just driving some also-ran ordinary car - I would want to drive something that is exciting to drive, I would want to have at least a chance a doing well in class, and I would pick a platform that myself and my team mates were familiar with.

So why is this group not discussing putting together a team around a CMC car?

mitchntx
12-01-2006, 02:10 PM
I know of a 94 Formula that would be a great candidate for this effort. 8)

Wirtz
12-01-2006, 02:16 PM
SM would allow you to also run the SCCA events. I have run the 6 hour enduro 2 years in A SRF and it is a blast. Always good to have more places to play.

Jeff

Todd Covini
12-01-2006, 02:30 PM
I've never run the 25 hour, but I've run the 12 hours of Thunderhill a few times. Daron has some great points. By far, my most memorable experience was doing it in my Mustang. The year in the Civic was OK...and twice in an older MR2 (Nothing more frustrating than passing 5 cars in the turns and then getting passed by all 5 again on the straight for 2 hours continuously.

Quite honestly, the IDEAL car for Texas to campaign would be Rob Liebbe's CMC car. Nothing says "Texas" more than that. A huge contingent effort of Texas AI/CMC drivers showing up and kickin' butt would raise a lot of eyebrows.

I can share my prep worksheet I used for the 12 hour many years ago, but in a nutshell, you need to start with a new car. EVERYTHING has to be fresh when you start. Pooling resources, renting a big motorhome and trailering out there would be a ton of fun!

Count me in for whatever....as long as it has a V8 and the letters A-I-C-M-C on it!!!

-=- Todd

GlennCMC70
12-01-2006, 02:45 PM
me and my wife just had lunch together and i was talking about using my CMC car. my CMC car uses less than 15lbs of fuel per 20 minute race. if its restricted down a little more, the mileage should pick up alot. the car is durable, fast, and easy for anyone to drive. mount up a set of pepboy fog lights and go at it.

Boudy
12-01-2006, 02:56 PM
Good points guys. However, I've got a Legends car just sitting there collecting dust. On the otherhand, I agree that running a CMC car would be cool too. Either way, I don't care, I'm going...

If there is interest in building a brand new, team owned, CMC car for the event, I'm in for that too.

Bottom Line - They felt some Texas Heat at Mid-O, now it's time to warm up Thunder Hill a bit.

Boudy

Todd Covini
12-01-2006, 02:57 PM
I've got a set of Hella lights on a lightbar ready to go gathering dust.
Cross that purchase off your list.

I'll dig thru my archives and post my "lessons learned" writeup from when I ran the roadster for 12 hours and took 3rd place behind the Honda Civics of Taz Harvey and Roger Foo. They beat us in the pits on fuel mileage alone...we raced 'em hard on track.

The highlights I remember...
Fuel every 50 minutes.
Start & finished on the same rear tires & brake pads.
2 hours in the car was a breeze.
Work on Monday morning was very difficult.

-=- Todd

Boudy
12-01-2006, 02:59 PM
Glenn: I don't know that I'd use my regular car. I've heard that it's a good way to trash a good car. Everything must be new when you start and everything is shot when you finish.

Boudy

Todd Covini
12-01-2006, 03:04 PM
Yup...it's a couple seasons in a day.
Logically if we're on track 2 hours each regular race weekend...most of us raced at least 12 hours in a season.

You're looking at 2 seasons of racing in a weekend...and everything that comes with those seasons!!!

-=- Todd

PS- Check your hoodpins frequently.

jeffburch
12-01-2006, 04:14 PM
what about drive train component heat?

jb

Todd Covini
12-01-2006, 05:37 PM
what about drive train component heat?

jb

No problems. Once it comes up to temperature, it pretty much stays there. (We had overheating issues with the MR2 one year, but that became apparent in the first hour.)

Did that answer your question? Was it directed at me???

Todd Covini
12-02-2006, 03:04 AM
Ahhhh...you guys took me down memory lane tonight searching for my old files & efforts on the 12 Hours of Thunderhill!

Exactly 7 years ago today, on December 2nd, 2000. An experience I'll never forget...and can't wait to go back!

I've attached my cost spreadsheet for the event which shows all the details of how we prepared, where the money went and who provided it. (I think after 7 years, privacy laws go away and the Freedom of Information Act kicks in! :lol: ) Anyway, It really shows how each driver's contributions, whether in borrowed parts, cash or sponsored items, really help out the total effort.

While we took home 3rd place (on the final lap) after 12 hours , I will say that we were limping across the finish line with a bent valve, a corded tire and a missing swaybar endlink. We overcame a leaking oil cooler, leaking brake caliper, front brake pad change, 3 LF tire changes and 2 RF tire changes and a number of other things thrown at us!

Y'all will have twice the fun if you can go the full 25 hours!!!
Start planning now...

Here's a few pics...and if I come across my detailed hour by hour race recap, I'll share that as well to help those who are considering a Texas AI/CMC effort...

http://www.mustangmods.com/ims/u/3324/7708/124078.gif

http://www.mustangmods.com/ims/u/3324/7708/124079.jpg

http://www.mustangmods.com/ims/u/3324/7708/124074.jpg

http://www.mustangmods.com/ims/u/3324/7708/124077.jpg

http://www.mustangmods.com/ims/u/3324/7708/124075.jpg

http://www.mustangmods.com/ims/u/3324/7708/124076.jpg

-=- Todd

Boudy
12-02-2006, 11:01 AM
WOW! That's what it's all about dude, making memories.

Thanks for the spreedsheet, it's perfect.

Boudy

Waco Racer
12-02-2006, 11:21 AM
So why is this group not discussing putting together a team around a CMC car?

Interesting point. You could build a pony car to the PT rules and not focus so much on AI/CMC rules. If you wanted an Enduro only car. It just seems the more durable parts for those cars is more expensive than on a Spec Miata or Legends.

Rob Liebbe
12-02-2006, 07:11 PM
Quite honestly, the IDEAL car for Texas to campaign would be Rob Liebbe's CMC car. Nothing says "Texas" more than that. A huge contingent effort of Texas AI/CMC drivers showing up and kickin' butt would raise a lot of eyebrows.-=- Todd

It also screams 4th-5th place alot. :?

Todd Covini
12-02-2006, 09:35 PM
Quite honestly, the IDEAL car for Texas to campaign would be Rob Liebbe's CMC car. Nothing says "Texas" more than that. A huge contingent effort of Texas AI/CMC drivers showing up and kickin' butt would raise a lot of eyebrows.-=- Todd

It also screams 4th-5th place alot. :?

Not with the right drivers. :wink:

-=- T

marshall_mosty
12-02-2006, 09:44 PM
It appears that the carnage on the car was rather minimal... nothing crazy on the consumed spares list...

We could get a two car team together and run the '08 25 hour.... maybe???

GlennCMC70
12-02-2006, 10:11 PM
that would be something, take as many cars as we can occupy w/ 50 drivers (about the number of 2006 points collecting drivers). have Cory fly us out. take Thunder Hill by storm.

as i pear the flagpole into the ground from an all Texas podium "i claim this land in the name of Texas!"

man, we were so close to being able to do that @ Mid Ohio! :evil:

MikeP99Z
12-02-2006, 10:58 PM
I'd also love to drive this one year.

Maybe an AI car will show up at it in 2007??? (j/k - I'd be in the pits for fuel every 50 min. and tires every other stop)

Todd Covini
12-04-2006, 12:24 AM
Well...if the 25 hours of Thunderhill starts to get a little out of reach for anyone you could always do the 24 Hours of Lemons. :lol: :lol: :lol:

www.24hoursoflemons.com

-=- Todd