PDA

View Full Version : New Cage Questions

Mike Bell
12-01-2006, 07:37 AM
OK, it appears from my initial reading of the new 2007 CMC rules that my existing Autopower bolt-in cage is not legal anymore. I need two door bars on drivers side. Is this a correct interpretation of the new rules?

Anyone have a Houston area cage builder they can recommend?

Can you give me a ballpark price? (The guy that built my AI cage isn't doing that type work anymore apparently.)

Mike Bell
12-01-2006, 08:20 AM
Any chance I can just weld a second bar to this existing cage and be legal? Glenn? Todd? Al?? Help! I think Varner is in the same ditch with me on this one. :cry:

GlennCMC70
12-01-2006, 08:25 AM
stopppppppp!!!!!!!!!
read the CCR's again. all cars w/ a rule book being issued on or after Jan 1, 2007 will have to meet the 2 driverside doorbar rule. in 2011 ALL car will have to meet this rule. yes, you will eventually have to have it. it is not required as on now.
i read the CMC rules and it did not match the CCR's.

CMC17
12-01-2006, 08:26 AM
This is not good news for those of us with "budget" CMC cars. If this is the case and we aren't allowed to "modify" the existing cage, then that puts me out for the season and possibly longer.

GG :roll:

GlennCMC70
12-01-2006, 08:35 AM
from the 2007 CCR:
15.6.12 Door Bars / Side Impact Protection
At least one (1) door bar on driver side and one (1) on the passenger side must be used.
At least two (2) door bars on the driver side and one (1) door bar on the passenger side
must be installed in all vehicles that obtain a new logbook after January 1st, 2007.
All vehicles, regardless of date of manufacture or date of logbook issuance will be
required to have at least two (2) door bars on the driver side and one (1) door bar on the
passenger side starting January 1st, 2011.
Unless superseded by class rules, modifications to any non-chassis structure (such as
door panels, inner door sheet metal, windows, door internals, etc.) may be made to
accommodate any allowed door bar configuration. However, removal of material and /
or modifications is limited to 1) the least amount to accommodate the door bar(s), and 2)
can serve no other function. Holes in the door jam (B-pillar) may be permitted to
accommodate door bars; however the structure should not be “notched” so as to weaken
it.

from the 2007 CMC rules. i would assume the dates in the CCR are part of the required specs.
6.12. Door Safety Bars
In addition to meeting all of the CCR specifications the roll cage in a CMC car must meet the following additional specifications. At a minimum at least two door safety bars must be used on the drivers side, and one door safety bar on the passenger side. The door window glass, window operating mechanism, armrest, map pockets, door panel, and inside door latch may be removed from both doors. The outside door latch mechanism may not be removed or modified. The trimming or removal of the inner door panel (metal) structure and the removal of the OEM side impact beam is only allowed if the roll cage incorporates at least two National Association of Stock Car Auto Racing (NASCAR) style door safety bars, which must extend to the outer door skin.

GlennCMC70
12-01-2006, 08:38 AM
also, i see no mention of not being able to modify an existing cage.
so Mike and Eric, you have till 2011 to get this done on your current cars.

CMC17
12-01-2006, 08:42 AM
Will log books be available before 01/07? Or, how does one obtain a log book for a car during the off season and before January?

GlennCMC70
12-01-2006, 08:43 AM
are you building a new car?

Mike Bell
12-01-2006, 09:25 AM
I'm building a CMC car on the cheap - key word cheap. Was going to buy an Autopower cage at the upcoming 12/8/06 sale at IOPORTRacing.com and this may impact getting this car a logbook. If I can have a second bar welded to the bolt-in cage and meet the new rules it helps a great deal.

Thanks for the quick responses Glenn!

GlennCMC70
12-01-2006, 09:41 AM
i woulds also think if you could get a logbook issued before Jan 01, 2007 for that car, you would be covered. i'm sure the car would have to meet all CCR regs @ the time of inspection, not just the cage in order to get the logbook issued. i think the 2nd door bar is much less hassle. w/ how easy it is to get the CMC fords down to minimum weight, weight shouldnt be an issue w/ putting in the 2nd bar.

why the new car? whats wrong w/ your current one Mike?

Mike Bell
12-01-2006, 09:48 AM
I picked up that 89 DPS coupe Brooks was selling. Trying to make a 2nd CMC car cheap using the spares we (I've been "borrowing" from Varner's spare parts bin lol) had built up. Hope to get it CMC legal for right at about $5K and see if someone coming into the series wants a starter car for cheap. Ebay has been good to me lately lol. No way I'll have the bolt-in cage in my hands before 1/1/07.

If nobody buys it, I'll have a backup car in case my current CMC car dies again.

AI#97
12-01-2006, 10:12 AM
I picked up that 89 DPS coupe Brooks was selling. Trying to make a 2nd CMC car cheap using the spares we (I've been "borrowing" from Varner's spare parts bin lol) had built up. Hope to get it CMC legal for right at about $5K and see if someone coming into the series wants a starter car for cheap. Ebay has been good to me lately lol. No way I'll have the bolt-in cage in my hands before 1/1/07.

If nobody buys it, I'll have a backup car in case my current CMC car dies again.

Mike, keep up the work....depending on what happens in the coming months, I might be interested in that car if you are in that price range! Guess I could come try my stuff in CMC?! :lol:

Mike Bell
12-01-2006, 10:16 AM
First one to write the check wins. (lotsa love huh?)

You'd die in CMC Matt. No big HP motor can save you here. Believe me, the "no ABS" alone is a steep learning curve lol. Ask me how I know! Toyo Marketing has to be the evil genius behind this series hehehe.

GlennCMC70
12-01-2006, 10:21 AM
Mike, keep up the work....depending on what happens in the coming months, I might be interested in that car if you are in that price range! Guess I could come try my stuff in CMC?! :lol:

wow, that is a shocker.
Red Rover Red Rover, can Matt come on over?

RichardP
12-01-2006, 10:53 AM
There is no effectivity date listed in the CMC rules so that means it's reqired now, regardless of whether or not you already have a log book. This would be a requirement in addition to the requirements of the CCR.

There is no reason you can't modify the current cage. It's not a big deal to do and shouldn't cost very much.

For cage work like this in the Houston area, I would recomend Greg Lucas (713-462-0068).

Richard P.

GlennCMC70
12-01-2006, 11:09 AM
i'll get it clarified.

GlennCMC70
12-01-2006, 11:18 AM
guys in the DFW area who want to get this going on their cars, Mitch and myself can do this for you guys.

AI#97
12-01-2006, 11:19 AM
First one to write the check wins. (lotsa love huh?)

You'd die in CMC Matt. No big HP motor can save you here. Believe me, the "no ABS" alone is a steep learning curve lol. Ask me how I know! Toyo Marketing has to be the evil genius behind this series hehehe.

Man, I had the smallest displacement motor in the series this year except for Skip's car! AND I was well under my max power so I don't think the motor was helping THAT much! :wink: I still need to iron the final details of the divorce but it looks like I will be writing a big check in Feb 07 assuming I keep the car and the house. Racing is going to get scaled back a bunch though and I HAVE been perusing the classifieds for a cheap f-body like Burch's....I have heard rumors that good mustang drivers behind the wheel of an f-body might OWN CMC if they get some decent seat time! :wink:

jeffburch
12-01-2006, 11:22 AM
"I was a Tellin Matt White...........!"

jb

GlennCMC70
12-01-2006, 11:26 AM
guys, i just remembered i was on the phone w/ Al F last night. and we talked about this. from our conversation, it is what i said above. i have asked for clarification as others will no doubt have to same question. @ this time i stand by my original thoughts and will update as i get more news. there are already a few mistakes in the rules that HAVE to get changed (like the .60" overbore allowance) so be looking for the updated rules as we go forward.

AI#97
12-01-2006, 11:52 AM
"I was a Tellin Matt White...........!"

jb

It's not just you....there is another little birdy that told me that those mullet mobiles can be quite fast when sorted! :wink:

Mike Bell
12-01-2006, 11:56 AM
No sweat Glenn, if we can just weld a bar to the existing bolt-in cage then it shouldn't be too much of a cost. Day one and we've got you chasing down rules already! :lol: :lol:

jeffburch
12-01-2006, 11:58 AM
I'd get a waiver for the 1st race with intentions on adding the bar before the 2nd race.
Come up a day early and get Mitch-to-stitch one in.

jb

GlennCMC70
12-01-2006, 12:01 PM
o.k. - looks like Richard was correct. they want to have ALL cars w/ 2 door bars on the driver side by the first event in 2007. that means we have 2 months to get this done. if this affects you and you do not think you will be able to meet this requirement, get in touch w/ me or Todd, David, or Al. we will figure something out. see the post over on CMC forums titled 2007 rules.

GlennCMC70
12-01-2006, 12:05 PM
Jeff, thats a good idea. MSR-C is ver close to Mitch's place. LAW Motorsports could do a "door bar day" for those who are not in DFW and need this done. local DFW guys could get w/ us sooner.

cmc#5
12-01-2006, 02:27 PM
Glenn is exactly right. To be honest, we didnt know about the change in the CCR until fairly recently, but when we thought about it we decided there is no good reason to delay this for years and years. So, sorry about a little bit of a time crunch, but ass has been said, if you really have a problem getting this done, let one of us know and we'll sign a waiver into your log book for up until you can reasonably get it done. Otherwise, this is one of the best modifications you can make to your car!!

CMC17
12-01-2006, 02:43 PM
Send a waiver my way. If things work out and the schedule is "ok", I will need a waiver.

Todd Covini
12-01-2006, 02:48 PM
I'm already seeing signs of a well-oiled machine!!!

Glenn & Al...you guys are awesome for jumping right in....first day on the job!!! 8)

-=- Todd

Mike Bell
12-01-2006, 02:55 PM
Did Al just call someone an "ass"?? :lol:

Todd Covini
12-01-2006, 03:01 PM

I certainly hope not.
We hold our series directors to the highest levels of integrity and docurum. It's his first day on the job, I'll talk to him. :wink:

<<Sheesh...I expected this outta Glenn, but AL???>> :lol:

-=- Todd

Mike Bell
12-01-2006, 03:02 PM
Todd, you scored a major coup when you talked Al into moving his Oil Bidness to Houston. Nice job. Guess the beer distributorships in the H-town area are stocking up for 2007 already! 8)

AI#97
12-01-2006, 04:23 PM

I certainly hope not.
We hold our series directors to the highest levels of integrity and docurum. It's his first day on the job, I'll talk to him. :wink:

<<Sheesh...I expected this outta Glenn, but AL???>> :lol:

-=- Todd

Glenn's speak and spell has already been ordered! :wink:

jeffburch
12-01-2006, 04:32 PM
Ok, I'll say it!

Who gets the number 5?
AG or AF?

jb

Mike Bell
12-01-2006, 04:43 PM
Ok, I'll say it!

Who gets the number 5?
AG or AF?

jb

Speaking of numbers, when does that list get "cleaned up"?? We've got folks listed I've never seen/heard of/raced with.

I'm sure AF is gonna give it up. :D

jeffburch
12-01-2006, 04:52 PM
Maybe a wrestling match.
Or a kart race.

jb

CMC17
12-01-2006, 04:54 PM
cage question => rules => car numbers => wrestling

gotz to be quick around here to stay up

AllZWay
12-01-2006, 04:57 PM
[quote=jeffburch]Ok, I'll say it!
Speaking of numbers, when does that list get "cleaned up"?? We've got folks listed I've never seen/heard of/raced with.

Are you making fun of me? :( I tried to race. :lol:

cmc#5
12-01-2006, 05:07 PM
hahaha who needs spell checker anyway! :D

I've asked Adam to let me keep the #5, mostly because its my login ID on every internet site that requires an ID. I did offer to buy it via new vinyl for his car and beer for him. His choice, he had it here first :)

If I had gotten admin rights to the forum already though...might've been a different story! :twisted:

Mike Bell
12-01-2006, 05:24 PM
[quote=jeffburch]Ok, I'll say it!

Are you making fun of me? :( I tried to race. :lol:

Nah, I'm talking about the folks who reserved numbers and we haven't ever seen them out there nor heard from them since. Although I can't really count what I did out there in October as racing either lol.

Wirtz
12-01-2006, 07:11 PM
Speaking of numbers, I move we allow CMC and AI / AI-X cars to have the same number. With transponders and all, seems like it could be managed. Both AI and CMC rules are good about requiring the class decals are large and easy to read. If I don't get my number, it is gonna give me bad luck!

Jeff

jeffburch
12-01-2006, 08:19 PM
Which AI car has your number?
jb

Wirtz
12-02-2006, 09:32 PM
I'm after #91 but I think it is still active in the region. I've used that number since, well, 1991.

I think CMC and AI must be allowed to have the same numbers. As big as the fields are becoming here in Texas, we are soon going to need 3 digit car numbers otherwise (shameless kiss up to the series directors :wink: )

Jeff
- getting everything aft of the firewall wired in today

GlennCMC70
12-02-2006, 09:36 PM
#91 is Pedersen' number. i'm sure you will have to pry it from his cold dead hands.
how about #191? its got to be 100 times luckier than just plain 'ol 91, right? :wink:

Wirtz
12-02-2006, 09:49 PM
I was thinking of changing to 16, that way it would be my lucky 91 when it is flipped upside down..... no wait, this isn't working.....

Jeff

Todd Covini
12-03-2006, 12:01 AM
Jeff,
My lucky # was 52 since it was my little league # and then my midget football #. I hung on to it thru high school sports, drag racing, autocrossing and eventually road racing. There came a time when I had to let it go...and then I became #2....and things have been better since then.

There comes a time when a man just has to let it go....let it go. :lol:

-=- Todd

Adam Ginsberg
12-03-2006, 02:49 AM
Ok, I'll say it!

Who gets the number 5?
AG or AF?

jb

The #5 stays on my car. End of discussion.

GlennCMC70
12-03-2006, 10:30 AM
he picked #15. no reason for Al to pick on the defenceless. :wink: :wink: