PDA

View Full Version : American Iron 2007 Rules Question (D/S Loop)

marshall_mosty
12-02-2006, 11:44 PM
Ref. AI 2007 Rules Ver 7.1 (November 2006) Section 5.6

Could the welded in Griggs torque arm mounting bar also act as a driveshaft safety loop? It's welded in versus bolted for the standard D/S loop.

I believe that the T/A bar is more than capable of "retaining the front end of the driveshaft in the event of a universal joint failure."

The current mount I have would be difficult to install due to packaging contraints that I have with the T/A and the exhaust.

Todd Covini
12-03-2006, 12:09 AM
As long as your setup can demonstrate that it could restrain the driveshaft in the event of a 360 degree failure , it'll suffice. (exhaust H-pipe doesn't count.)

-=- Todd

marshall_mosty
12-03-2006, 12:21 AM
Todd,
I guess I don't understand a 360 degree failure... Unless you mean that the standard D/S loops encapsulates the driveshaft 360 degrees.

I believe the intent of the rule is to keep the D/S from falling to the ground and po-go sticking into the ground. Correct?

If so, as long as I can show retention downwards, would that meet the intent of the rule?

Basically the floorboard and frame rails will hold the D/S on top and the T/A mount will hold it on the bottom and side-to-side.

GlennCMC70
12-03-2006, 01:21 AM
in 2005 Tony G said the stock bolt on factory stamped plate found on a 4th gen just behind the trans cross member was all that was required.
i think your good Marshall.

BlueFirePony
09-12-2008, 11:09 PM
I am still running the stock 2-piece on my car.
From a letter of the rule perspective I would only need the front retained right? From a safety perspective I would think I need front and back so I am probably going to do that before ECR - I won't be swapping drive shafts before next year.

Just curious about my interpretation.

Al Fernandez
09-19-2008, 09:28 AM
Its only the front of the driveshaft that needs to be contained.

AI#97
10-09-2008, 10:33 AM
Its only the front of the driveshaft that needs to be contained.

he poses and interesting point though...since the shaft is two piece, should there be a second one supporting the front of the rear half of the shaft should the slip yoke fail? typically on older trucks that had this same two piece shaft, that is where the ujoint would break or the slip yoke would split and give up the ghost. Just a thought!