PDA

View Full Version : Brake lines needed for 92 Fox using Cobra calipers

oz98cobra
12-04-2006, 06:20 PM
Hey Fox body guys - Michael? Eric? Is there an off-the-shelf braided brake line kit to connect Cobra calipers to the oem hard lines? I can't find anyone listing a part number for a "93 Cobra" kit, and am not sure if the fitting are the same as the 94-95 or not?

And what did you guys do for lines for the rear Cobra brakes? I assume these need to be a custom setup?

michaelmosty
12-04-2006, 07:02 PM
Daron,

After the Hallett incident I called Maximum Motorsports and got their Stop Tech lines for the front calipers. They bolted right up to the stock hard lines no problem.
I'm not sure of the caliper difference for the 93 Cobra calipers, I think mine are listed as 96 calipers.
For the rears I switched back to the factory rubber lines. I used the Stop Tech line above the diff. and rubber at the calipers (stock SN95 rears).

Marshall went w/ custom lines all around and I'm sure can chime in if that is the route you want to go.

gt40
12-04-2006, 08:17 PM
I build 'em from bulk hose and the correct hose ends from Earl's. They can be easily repaired at the track, the hardware (ends and adaptors,) are reusable, and spare parts are a lot easier to find (and cheaper to buy than new hoses.)

Mike Bell
12-04-2006, 08:57 PM
Sorry Daron, I don't use Cobra brakes on the rear.

gt40
12-04-2006, 09:50 PM
OK -- a little more detail.

On my car, everything between the chassis hardline and the calipers was replaced with AN plumbing.

At the chassis end, I used a banjo fitting on one end of the hose making the jump to the rear axle. The axle end of that hose is a regular AN-3 hose end. At the axle end, I fabricated an L-shaped bracket to mount a AN-3 bulkhead T-fitting. The bracket bolts to the pumpkin the same way the factory bracket did.

More braided hose runs from the t-fitting in the center to two more L-shaped brackets bolted to the axle tubes using large worm-gear clamps. the L-brackets on the axle tubes hold plain AN-3 bulkhead fittings.

From that AN-3 bulkhead fitting runs another stainless hose with a banjo fitting on the other end, which bolts to the caliper. I positioned the l-brackets so that the hose running to the caliper is the same length as the hoses that run to the FRONT calipers (fewer spares to carry around!)

Everything's oriented so that the hoses run *behind* the axle to protect them from debris.

I've been running this setup since TWS in '05 and so far, it's been working just fine.

Todd Covini
12-04-2006, 10:51 PM
Call MM...they have a slick setup for Fox/Cobra front & rear brake lines.
They're just the right length and swivel out of the way...just like they're supposed to.

-=- Todd

marshall_mosty
12-04-2006, 11:01 PM
I bought bulk -3an line and built my own. All my lines are 14" long now, so all my spares work on every corner.

For the axle hop, I used a 3/8 IF fitting which is mounted through the trunk floor. The stock "wave" clip from the stock front brake lines are used to hold it secure inside the car. On the other end I have a Russell -3an tee which goes to 3/8" IF to the hard axle lines. The axle lines are zip tied to the pumkin.

http://www.mustangmods.com/ims/u/1280/3889/94146.jpg
Rear Hard line

http://www.mustangmods.com/ims/u/1280/3889/94147.jpg
Axle Hop line

http://www.mustangmods.com/ims/u/1280/3889/96015.jpg
Spares

oz98cobra
12-17-2006, 03:02 AM
Excellent info - thanks guys!