PDA

View Full Version : Tech stuff - Questions?

Mike Bell
12-31-2006, 11:01 AM
My car will be down for a bit getting the motor repaired but I wanted to see what everyone has done for the new side head restraint and door bar req's for 2007? I've got a bolt on head deal for my seat, will that comply?

If I can't get the 2nd door bar done in time for Feb, will I be able to get a waiver?

GlennCMC70
12-31-2006, 12:38 PM
i just bought the same type head restraint.
Al F said he would be willing to give a waver for the driverside door bar till March.

Al Fernandez
12-31-2006, 01:06 PM
I did indeed. We'll want to do this right, aka write it into your log book.

Mike Bell
12-31-2006, 02:02 PM
Thanks for the quick responses guys, with the car out of pocket and my weekends filling up I was worried about running out of time on these items. I'll still try and have the door bar done before the first event if possible.

Mike Bell
01-07-2007, 10:29 AM
Here's the Kirkey head restraints I have, are these the legal ones?

http://www.kirkeyracing.com/images/accessories/headsupport.gif

GlennCMC70
01-07-2007, 10:42 AM
i picked the same looking thing from Ultrashield. you do realize this is not a requirement till mid year, right? dont get in a hurry to do this if your unsure what you want to do.

let me expand on that comment.
there are 3 ways to meet the requirement of this rule. a complete seat, a net, and the part Mike posted above. i got mine for $30. the net runs about $100. i've seen them cheaper and seen them more exspensive. the seat can get into the multiple of thousands.

Mike Bell
01-07-2007, 10:53 AM
No, I missed the "mid-year" part. More good news then, I'll defer this to my "to do later" list as well lol. Thx.

GlennCMC70
01-07-2007, 10:55 AM
15.17.9 Head Restraint – Side Impact
As of July 1st, 2007 it is required that all drivers employ a right-side impact head restraint
system. A seat with a “bolster” to keep the head from moving to the right side in an
impact is acceptable. A side-impact head-net restraint system, such as Simpson part
#36015P is also acceptable. Note- all side-impact head-net restraint systems must have
a quick-release mechanism to aid the driver in case of a necessary egress via the
passenger side.

GlennCMC70
01-07-2007, 10:58 AM
we should all be adding all the safety we can as soon as we can, but making an informed choise is more important. take your time and research what is best for you.
i'm currently flip/flop'ing on this between the net and aluminum panal. i've even thought about a new seat.

GlennCMC70
01-07-2007, 11:15 AM
its possible PST could do a GP on the net. i'll check w/ him.

AI#97
01-07-2007, 07:03 PM
A properly adjusted hans does a pretty damn good job for side movement. I know I can only move so much and I won't have a damn aluminum plate keeping me from a passenger side exit or working on the damn interior of the car. Maybe I won't weld the roof back on but just use dzues fasteners so I can hop right in from the top?! :lol:

Mike Bell
01-07-2007, 07:05 PM
My Kirkey seat came with these things mounted already, I took them off before I used it last year. Holes and hardware are already still on the "restraints" so all I have to do is bolt them back on.

IIRC, they aren't enough to keep me from exiting the passenger side of the car if I'm so inclined, but I can't say I remember if they affect my peripheral vision or not, guess I'll find out soon enough.

AI#97
01-07-2007, 07:19 PM
My Kirkey seat came with these things mounted already, I took them off before I used it last year. Holes and hardware are already still on the "restraints" so all I have to do is bolt them back on.

IIRC, they aren't enough to keep me from exiting the passenger side of the car if I'm so inclined, but I can't say I remember if they affect my peripheral vision or not, guess I'll find out soon enough.

You could always trim them down I suppose if it's in your line of site but do we REALLY need these? i would love to see some research regarding likelyhood of injury at our slow speeds (compared to NASCAR..etc) to warrant REQUIRING these items...especially when already in a hans. I know it's purpose is mostly forward motion but I can only move my head about an inch side to side while wearing mine.... :?

Mike Bell
01-07-2007, 07:34 PM
SCCA did it, NASA had to follow sort of deal to keep the insurance is my guess.

Why only the right side? Is the left side supposed to be protected via the window net? If so, then I wonder if my head will still be attached by the time it travels that far to the left to meet up with the window net...

AI#97
01-07-2007, 07:48 PM
Why only the right side? Is the left side supposed to be protected via the window net? If so, then I wonder if my head will still be attached by the time it travels that far to the left to meet up with the window net...

Sort of my point....?

GlennCMC70
01-07-2007, 08:20 PM
i talked w/ AJ about a net. he will be getting w/ me/us about a GP on these. please hold off and let AJ have a crack @ your purchase. they are a suporter of this site and have helped us out @ the track and offered awards for various things durring the year for our racing efforts on the track.

AI#97
01-07-2007, 08:53 PM
i talked w/ AJ about a net. he will be getting w/ me/us about a GP on these. please hold off and let AJ have a crack @ your purchase. they are a suporter of this site and have helped us out @ the track and offered awards for various things durring the year for our racing efforts on the track.

Sure. I have a gift certificate I could use! :wink:

Rob Liebbe
01-07-2007, 10:19 PM

I have the side plates on my Kirkey - you get used to them with no peripheral vision problems. The one on the left side makes ingress and egress a bit more difficult. I looked at trimming mind down but it just didn't look like they would be long enough anymore.

Mike Bell
01-08-2007, 08:29 AM
thanks for the info Rob, I'm thinking the left one is gonna stay in the parts bin - I can't see how I can get in/out with that thing in place without losing a rib or two lol.

AllZWay
01-08-2007, 09:01 AM
Is PST going to sell the Simpson net or some other?

The Simpson net seems to be about $60 most places.

I have Kirky head restraints I took off my seat.... I think I would prefer the net.

GlennCMC70
01-08-2007, 09:03 AM
he was going to price a few options of brands.