PDA

View Full Version : Log Books in the Car

Rob Liebbe
02-25-2007, 10:13 PM
According the the following rule we are supposed to be carrying the log book in the car during the race? OK that's implied due to the need to have it in the car at impound immediately after the race.

7.6. Impound
The top four finishing drivers and cars must proceed to impound immediately after each race. Failing to do so may result in penalties being imposed on the driver. It is the driver's responsibility to report to impound with the vehicle. The vehicle's logbook must be in the car and ready to present to any Impound Officials.

Is this true and if so, where is everbody keeping theirs? Any thoughts?

And yes, I do see top four finishes every so often.

GlennCMC70
02-25-2007, 11:38 PM
let me start w/ this:
i'm speaking as a fellow racer, and i'm not telling you to not follow the rules.

i dont carry mine in the car. never have, and i dont plan on it. this bookis the history of a car and it can make or break a sale if it ever goes up for sale. the race car enviroment is way to rough to keep it in there.

however, you could drop by your local Fry's electronics and pick up a Pelican case (brand name). they are relatively cheep and totally water proof.

mitchntx
02-26-2007, 06:26 AM
I keep my log book in my helmet and suit bag.

I figure if it is needed, I can walk back to the trailer and fetch it while the car takes up precious impound real estate.

I also toyed with the idea of sealing it in a heavy duty, nuclear grade zip-lock bag and stashing it between the seat cover and the seat. but, I already had my toll tag, spare change, some old french fires and a bic pen in there, so ....

Waco Racer
02-26-2007, 09:34 AM
At the risk of being accused of not following the rules of the CCR, not following the chain of command, in the event that we need to write something in a driver's logbook, if you leave your car in the impound area, and speaking for the NASA Texas officials only - it is OK if you have to go back to your paddock area to retrieve your logbook. However, if something has been written in your logbook and needs to be signed off on, make sure you have your logbook the next time you come to the tech area.

Rob Liebbe
02-26-2007, 11:47 AM
That's kinda what i thought the replies would be. Mine is kept in a folder in the support vehicle.

Thanks.

Al Fernandez
02-26-2007, 01:54 PM
Thanks for posting that, as thats been my experience at all NASA regions. Yes, it is in the rules (CCR, not just class rules) but I've never seen a driver get penalized for having to run back to their pit area to get a log book.

oz98cobra
02-26-2007, 02:19 PM
Of course, you could always have your crew chief, wife, team mate or other dogsbody meet you at the impound with the log book?

Rob Liebbe
02-26-2007, 02:47 PM
More often than not, I'm at the track by myself.

Also Daron, call me regarding brake cooling ducts at your convenience.
281-413-1948 cell

GlennCMC70
02-26-2007, 04:35 PM
....dogsbody .....

o.k., i'll bite, is this another south of the equator word? :?

oz98cobra
02-26-2007, 05:52 PM
....dogsbody .....

o.k., i'll bite, is this another south of the equator word? :?

No, looks like it has British origins? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dogsbody