PDA

View Full Version : Thanks Everyone-Now I am officially hooked!

BryanL
03-05-2007, 05:16 PM
I owe alot of thanks to everyone out there this weekend as I had a great time and really enjoyed the group as a whole. Glad to see what kind of group you have and how you have welcomed myself. Everybody I came in contact with was just great. Everyone was extremely nice and unbelievably helpful.
Specifically thanks to Glenn and Mitch for all their advice and all of my emails bugging them about getting involved with this stuff. Todd thanks for the ride and showing me how you guys slide around the track. Marshall I appreciate you cramming yourself into the car and talking me around the track.
Now I am looking forward to TWS and working on my driving skills.
Bryan

marshall_mosty
03-05-2007, 05:31 PM
Bryan,
Welcome aboard.

Todd Covini
03-05-2007, 09:14 PM
Welcome, Bryan...you're an excellent addition to the Texas AI/CMC Family! I love the nostalgic Suburban w/454 and the original owner R50 mini-bike is really classic stuff!!!

Drive that Black Bitch on track as much as you can so you really get comfy in it...."seat time"!

Couple other helpful hints...
Don't let my ride provide you with bad habits! I can show you how to slide with the best of them and if you mimic my driving style you can aspire to a career of mediocrity and hopefully some 2nd place finishes! :cry:

Lastly....try to refrain from using the phrase..."everybody I came in contact with" when talking about our race weekends.... :shock: kinda makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up. (no comments please) :oops: :lol:

-=- Todd

BryanL
03-06-2007, 11:02 AM
Todd thanks for the helpful hints. I certainly need as much help as I can get. Really love your humor as well.
I am looking forward to more seat time and getting more comfy. I am real happy with how the car performed. I felt good about my times and glad to know I can drive with 9 fingers.
I'm doing Drivers Edge at the end of the month and then TWS (though without the Tuf Sub) with you guys. I'm interested in getting in on the practice stuff on Friday if possible. I know I shouldn't be in a hurry to go wheel to wheel but I could get some podiums in CMC-2 since nobody is running in the class. That way my career could only go downhill. :D

As my wife said I have become consumed with this. I love watching the in car footage being posted.

AllZWay
03-06-2007, 11:15 AM
It is definitely an addiction. Glad to see you made it out with Bitchn' Black and she ran good.

See you at TWS.

rpoz27
03-06-2007, 03:16 PM
It was good to meet you this weekend, Bryan. Glad the Camaro felt good and you had a good time.

That catch can you were asking about is made by AMW. They are local here in College Station. I know MTI in Houston carries it ( http://www.motorsporttech.com/fbody_engine01.asp ), but you may be able to get it cheaper direct, if they are still handling that end of things.

Accurate Machine Works
4400 Pate Rd
College Station, TX 77845
(979) 774-0062

See you at TWS!

BryanL
03-06-2007, 03:53 PM
Thanks for the info Misty. I had heard of the AMW catch can but didn't know they were local to you. I didn't know enough to look but do you have the LS6 PCV conversion that uses the LS6 engine valley cover? Trying to solve my oil issues as that was the only issue the car had all weekend. Though I am also unsure about how much oil I should have in the engine since I am using an accusump. I'm running Mobil 1 15/50 but it seemed to take awhile for my oil temps to come up and I don't think I saw them over 180 all weekend.
Thanks
Bryan

Boudy
03-06-2007, 07:34 PM
Ditto, "Welcome!"

Boudy

rpoz27
03-06-2007, 08:45 PM
I don't have the conversion or an accusump. I run close to 7 qts. of 15/50 in my stock oil pan. I ran 10/30 at first and had problems with heat and burning oil in warm months. The 15/50 solved those issues, but it does take a while to come up to temp in the chilliness. I don't think I saw over 180 either. May need a lighter oil in cold weather.

I would ask for help on how much oil to run over on FRRAX.com or ask Glenn or Mitch or Jeff. I think it's normal operating amt. plus the size of the accusump, but don't take my word for it. And, guys, please correct me here, if you see the need.

GlennCMC70
03-06-2007, 09:58 PM
i saw 240-260 oil temp w/ 160-180 water temp depending on the time of day. i ran 10-40 dyno oil for the break-in all weekend. next event will be 20-50 Castrol dyno oil or 15-50 M1.
Misty's thoughts sound right about the number of QTS. i'm now thinking a small 1 qt accusump may be in the works for me.

BryanL
03-07-2007, 10:01 AM
Thanks for the info. I really want to get this fixed since I am dripping some oil after a session.
With the cold weather I kind of thought the 15/50 might be a little heavy so maybe my oil temps weren't high enough for that weight? I was running 7 quarts on the dipstick except for the last session which was 18 laps and I still lost at least half a quart of oil.
I am pretty sure I was leaking mainy around the pcv valve, which I replaced last week with a AZ cheapie at the last minute. I also had some oil on the dipstick which I had taped down. I will get an AC Delco pcv valve ready for my next outing unless I do the LS6 conversion. I am also going to check and see if the line itself is in good condition. Though I still don't think I should have that much oil coming up to the PCV valve anyway.
Glenn-I am surprised you are thinking about the accusump based on your previous thoughts of my accusump?
I did watch my oil pressures some and they were always good even coming out of big bend. My water temps were fine all weekend at around 180.
I am interested in trying the LS6 engine valley cover and the catch can vent. Maybe I am old school but I like the idea of having some type of vented filter for the crankcase pressure. I just don't like the way the pcv system allows oil into the intake. I think I have read that during road racing the PCV system can't keep up with the excessive pressure as well.
Love to hear anyones input.
I am pretty sure Kevin Turner switched to the LS6 engine valley cover and said it helped out on his oil consumption.
Misty do you lose much oil during the weekend? Have you ever had any issues with the dipstick coming out?
Thanks for the input.
Bryan

jeffburch
03-07-2007, 10:13 AM
I owned a fresh LS1 (oem stock) with accusump, Ron Davis Rad with cooler, LS6 valley cover/pvc system. The whole ballawax.
Running gummy Hoosiers the DIC alerted oil pressure problems at the end of buzzerd neck getting on the little straight there.
I refused to tyrap the dipstick down.
I am of the opinion the LS1 in factory trim is not ready for the lateral g's.
Y body or F. Doesn't matter.
Too much blow by.

I demodded the car and sold it.
I re-evaluated my interest in the hobby/sport at that point.

jb

rpoz27
03-07-2007, 03:39 PM
I used to burn off about 2 qts. of oil a day with 10/30. Switched to 15/50 and problem was solved.

If your dipstick keeps coming out, I would suggest better zippers on your pants. :lol: (I can hear the "Boo"s from here) Seriously, though, it's never been an issue on my vehicle.

Where do you have your accusump mounted and what kind? Found this on FRRAX and thought you might be interested, if you hadn't already seen it. You, too, Glenn, if you're thinking about one.
http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/index.php?showtopic=8347&hl=accusump[/i]

BryanL
03-07-2007, 08:48 PM
Good line Misty. Good link from frrax. I have a Canton accusump that is electrically controlled and mounted in the passenger floorboard. It also has a large snap ring on the end. So basically everything is setup bad compared to what that thread said.
Thanks for the info Burch. I agree that they do have more blowby than most motors. But it just seems there are too many LS1's on the road course that it should be possible. Though are you implying that a motor can be built with different rings to correct this problem?

It seems that the LS6 conversion really just redirects the oil from the intake the engine valley but isn't going to vent the crankcase anymore than before?
The AMW catch can would seem to do the same thing as far as trapping the oil but still not venting the crankcase anymore?
This makes me think of trying a catch tank with a vent for the valve covers? I know vendors offer a large breather that inserts in the oil filler on the valve cover but that wouldn't be allowed within the rules as any vent must have a catch tank?
Thanks for all the input.
Bryan

jeffburch
03-07-2007, 09:03 PM
Mmm, I could just tell it wasn't a row for me to hoe.
The LT1 row for you seems best from here.
Especially given your position with owning both.
I know you are anxious to get on track, but.
Not that you're asking or anything.
Just my unsolicited 2c.

jb

mitchntx
03-07-2007, 09:06 PM
Bryan, I will caution you to NOT do something to the car now that will have to be un-done if/when you decide to take it WtoW.

And LS6 conversion would take you completely out of CMC-2