PDA

View Full Version : My Laps data???? how do you use it?????

GlennCMC70
03-12-2007, 10:47 PM
anyone care to give up any infoon how they us thisdatato help you get faster? interesting ways to interpret the data?
i look at average lap info. somewhat based upon who you are stuck behind durring a race.

CMC17
03-13-2007, 07:48 AM
anyone care to give up any infoon how they us thisdatato help you get faster? interesting ways to interpret the data?
i look at average lap info. somewhat based upon who you are stuck behind durring a race.

I really cannot see a way that lap times alone will benefit anyone other than knowing their fastest/slowest laps.

Data Aquisition is the only true way of knowing what has been and what needs to happen next.

Data acquisition systems provide the two most important channels (RPM/MPH) for reducing lap times. With a system that is capable of RPM and MPH recording will help evaluate both the car and the driver. Cornering speed through every turn, gearing, throttle on/off time, wheel spin, length of shift times, engine power bands, braking and more.

Having the capability to overlay laps and find out WHY the fast laps were fast. Graphs can be used and compared to previous events, or for analysis of one or more race sessions at once.

Video for each lap in conjunction with data aquisition that displays the above information will nail down any and all problem areas that might need attention.

Good luck.

AllZWay
03-13-2007, 08:25 AM
The whole Mylaps thing is still real new to me and is pretty interesting data.

donovan
03-13-2007, 09:32 AM
I use the Mylaps data in conjuction with my in-car video...

marshall_mosty
03-13-2007, 11:51 AM
I use the Mylaps data in conjuction with my in-car video...

I do the same thing. When I set a "personal best" at a track, I take that race and put my lap time in the corner of the video. That way, I can analyze my line, what RPM's I'm seeing (if I can read the tach on the video), etc.

The butt-meter is decieving a bunch of the time. Lap times and a video that never "blinks"... priceless. I do agree that a DAC would be nice.

Nick
03-13-2007, 05:15 PM
Video for each lap in conjunction with data aquisition that displays the above information will nail down any and all problem areas that might need attention.

Something along these lines?
http://www.racereye.com/

cmarvel
03-14-2007, 09:10 PM
As some have pointed out, lap times are dependant on many factors. That said, with the aid of either a good memory or video; I studied them in detail to good effect. I found them particularly beneficial in the 40 minute races. They are no substitute for DAQ, but useful nonetheless.

They can also provide VERY valuable insight in to your competitor’s strengths and weaknesses (not available from DAQ).

How many of you noticed that my fastest lap of the race in the 40 minute race at MSR Houston was on the second to last lap? If you were running AI, this would be a VERY good thing to know. How many noticed that my best qualifying lap all year was almost always in the first three, usually on the second lap?

If you have DAQ, you know how much your lap times vary, and whether or not they trend. If you don't, this may be the only way to get that information. As a driver, I can assure you that the precision with which you can repeat a lap represents the best precision to which you can measure any improvement to the car or your driving.

If you don't have DAQ, but you do have video; you can correlate changes in your style or execution as the race goes on to the effect on lap times. This can help you evaluate the contribution of both style and execution on lap time. The results may surprise you.

Excellent discussion topic!

GlennCMC70
03-14-2007, 09:15 PM
Chris, i too noticed when my best qual time is normally posted along w/ when my best race time is turned.

cmarvel
03-14-2007, 09:31 PM
The really big question is: did your competitors notice? :wink:

rpoz27
03-15-2007, 07:23 PM
Glenn,

DAQ is really helpful. We've got a G2X that you can borrow sometime, if you're interested. Martin can send you the data via email and you can take a look at trends and compare laps to video to see what's fast for each section. One thing you'll need is a cigarette lighter adapter in the car to plug into.

GlennCMC70
03-15-2007, 07:24 PM
i've been looking at the GX2 for a couple months now. its on the "to do" list, but it will be like '08 before i get there.

MCain
03-15-2007, 09:41 PM
The G2X took a little time to get used to as far as the analysis software goes, but after you get used to it you can do some pretty neat stuff with it. The thing I like best is being able to set up track segments however I want in software. Handy for isolating one area of the track when experimenting with line or car setup, and traffic or a mistake on another part of the track can be factored out.

Like Misty said, you're welcome to borrow mine. The software can be had for free at the Racepak website, and I can either email the runfile or you can bring your own compact flash card to record on.

GlennCMC70
03-15-2007, 09:49 PM
Martin/Misty, i will most likely take you up on it if we do that "test" day soon. interesting data would be me in Misty's car and and her in mine.

rpoz27
03-16-2007, 12:21 AM
Interesting, indeed!