PDA

View Full Version : Someone broke into my truck last night

mitchntx
04-10-2007, 03:51 AM
Took:
Radar detector
And 2 track bags I had left in the truck from this weekend.

Inside those bags were my HANS, helmet, nomex underwear, 2 pairs of shoes ... all just stuff. But one bag had my notebook that had all my NASA stuff, like logbook for the car. And most important, my notebook full of track notes. Irreplaceable ...

Surprisingly, I'm not too upset. Most of it is just stuff and can be replaced. But the notebook ... DAMN!

mitchntx
04-10-2007, 05:54 AM
Holy crap! A person just doesn't realize the "stuff" they accumulate of several years and the replacement costs ...

2 gear bags had over $5000 worth of stuff (replacement costs)!

I certainly hope my insurance covers this stuff.

AllZWay
04-10-2007, 07:58 AM
Dang Mitch.... that really sucks. Was this at your house or at work?

mitchntx
04-10-2007, 08:05 AM
At home ... discovered when leaving for work.

I was really late this morning. I didn't get here till almost 4am

Gonna call my agent in a bit to see what my coverages are.

GlennCMC70
04-10-2007, 08:20 AM
time for that Sparco X-light.
yes, i always look @ the bright side.

donovan
04-10-2007, 10:17 AM
Glenn did offer to help with car setup... maybe someone did not understand what he meant!

DD

j3ffbrooks
04-10-2007, 10:20 AM
Mitch

I feel for you...

My truck was broken into a couple months ago too. I think the thing they look for is the radar detector. My renter's insurance ended up covering everything that wasn't "mounted" to the vehicle.

I could have filed 2 claims, but the new window was $85 and took me 10mins to put in.....thought it took me over an hour to pull the seats out and clean out all the broken glass.

It was a PITA but I did get a new V1 and new tools out it.

jeffburch
04-10-2007, 10:27 AM
Ouch, sorry bud.

A guy was looking at my truck forsale last nite, his 07 Denali had been broken into.
Same thing, radar detector.
You could barely tell where they got in. He didn't notice it for some time.
Around the drivers handle near the key hole, they punched a small hole.
Amazing.

I'd go with a Puma suit and a Impact helmet if I had your opportunity to upgrade. Get another V1 and just don't leave it in there.

jb

Boudy
04-10-2007, 10:28 AM
Mitch: Sorry they got you sir. I feel you pain and hope insurance takes care of it.

Not sure what they'll do with Nomex panties but who knows. Too bad they didn't take the notebook and leave the rest.

Boudy

mitchntx
04-10-2007, 11:20 AM
Even though the difference in premium has paid for it 3 or 4 times, I'm hating life and high deductible insurance right now.

Everything is covered under my home-owner's policy and is at replacement cost. Just gotta remember to add the tax and shipping.

Looks like just a tick under $6K worth of stuff.

And I think I had 5 complete Argent Lab radio kits in there as well, didn't I Boudy. And a data acquisition system and 6 piston Brembos ...

The red GMC had the passenger door not fully closed and I KNOW it was locked. BUt it didn't have anything in it. The Bronco had a TV/DVD combo in the front seat ... untouched. Maybe it was too big. The caddy appeared unscathed.

Guess I need to see if AJ can hook me up ...

The wife and I drove around the neighborhood looking in garbage cans, dumpsters and ditches hoping to find the notebook. Actually, I made HER look in the garbage cans and dumpsters. No luck.

jeffburch
04-10-2007, 01:06 PM
Down to only 5 sets left huh?
Wow, your pic on the radio manual and GRM ads really is working :wink:

jb

mitchntx
04-11-2007, 07:38 AM
I've had a couple e-mails asking if this was for real or just another Varner-esque mind game.

No games on this one. Stuff was stolen.

Insurance will take a couple weeks to settle and it will take another couple weeks to get new stuff in.

So, TWS is definitely a no go for #9

Looks like Hallett is on my radar, though.

Todd Covini
04-14-2007, 12:45 PM
Looks like Hallett is on my radar, though.

I thought you said the radar detector was stolen?!?!

I don't know what to believe anymore! :roll:

-=- T

mitchntx
04-17-2007, 01:05 PM
Sent off the insurance claim form today. Maybe I'll have restitution in a couple weeks.

I was dumb-founded at the replacement cost of this stuff. :shock:

When you buy a little here and there over several years it doesn't seem to be that big of a deal. But replace everything at once and ...

http://rulingcatsanddogs.com/images/side-pictures/shocked-kitty.jpg

mitchntx
05-05-2007, 06:02 PM
After playing 20 (or 30 questions) about the missing gear, it appears that I am in line for a settlement. That's a good sign.

The bad is that there are hundreds of folks who's homes are in need of repair after the last few weeks of storms and awaiting settlement as well.

So, I'm in line once again .....