Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tech Inspection

Senior Member Carroll Shelby GlennCMC70's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    one thing i cannot give up from 7am to 5pm is the time i need to ensure my car is fueled and safe for the next outing and the time i need to eat and get fluids. that being said, there is only so much time during the day.
    one option is a mandatory 5-6am show time for series rules tech inspections. after hearing the grumblings about the NASA TX drivers meeting being moved to 7am for the 2007 season. i dont think this would get a lot of votes. but hey, i'm all for it. after 10 years in the USMC, you cant get me up too early.
    we could also stay late saturday and sunday. forget about the drive time for those from out of town. but - going after this w/ a military mindset is probably not what anyone wants. w/ that comes compromises. we do what we can w/ the time we have all the while trying to keep this a fun and relaxing environment.
    in the past i've offered solutions. they were met w/ mixed reviews. one option is to pair up all drivers and assign each pair a section of the rules. those 2 individuals work the field during the weekend. reporting any "issues" found back to the series directors. each event we could make sure those rules fall on a different pair.
    there is also the protest route. if anyone feels as though someone is not legal, pony up the clams and it will get checked. if your right, you get the money back, if not, you dont.
    i prefer option 1 myself. none of us should have anything to hide, and therefore have no issue w/ another looking @ their car.

so Jeff, i know what you are wanting to do. i wanted it done myself back in 2005. after half of 2007 having passed, i havent gotten 1 tenth of what i wanted done w/ regards to series tech. i myself have failed the goals i put on myself. the flip side is, NASA Tech just is not capable to do this either. there are too many class's and too many rules for them to do it. so as a director and having tried to do what you want, i now know its near impossible to to do everything every weekend in the time we are given.
    i'm all ears if anyone has a solution. that door is always open.

Well I'm gladd Glenn knows where you're going Jeff because I'm confused. Can you explain it to me?

There is no way we are going to have an all encompassing checklist that is verfied by someone outside of a specific car's crew prior to each race weekend. This requires logistics well beyond what we have volunteers for. Perhaps more importantly, this would indicate that it is the series' responsibility to ensure compliance, when it is the driver's.

NASA relies on YOU the driver to verify all of your safety related items each weekend and present to them a written statement that you have done so. It is their HOPE that in requiring you to say "I did this" you actually will DO this. Same thing.

[/b]
    Al Fernandez

Administrator Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Al Fernandez
    NASA relies on YOU the driver to verify all of your safety related items each weekend and present to them a written statement that you have done so. It is their HOPE that in requiring you to say "I did this" you actually will DO this. Same thing.
    Al,

This post has nothing to do with safety.

JB

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Adam Ginsberg's Avatar
    Jeff - I think I know what you're trying to accomplish. Todd's "list" was a copy of the rules....and that's what we are supposed to abide by.

Al mentioned it being the driver's responsibility to adhere to the rules - and it's true. We have "gentleman's racing"....meaning, there is a level of trust provided to each and every driver that they will have a car that fully meets the rules. That's why things considered to be an intentional disregard are treated so heavy handed - this isn't PRO Racing where it's the driver/crew chief's job to find the loophole ( please, don't anybody jump on the whole PRO Racing thing...this is club racing ).

There isn't a separate checklist the directors follow....the only "checklist" is the CCR and the series rules. From experience, it's simply not possible to inspect every aspect of the series rules for every car - there isn't enough time in the weekend to do that. That's why a particular item is selected each weekend to inspect, with the intent of trying to cover as many of the rules, and inspect as many of the cars, as possible throughout the season.

This probably doesn't give you what you were looking for...because in reality, what you are looking for doesn't exist in the format you want ( if I fully understand what you're looking for ).

It does, however, exist - in the CCR's, and the series rules.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby mitchntx's Avatar
    I'm reading these replies and I think you guys are reading too much into what Jeff is asking.

I think he is just wanting a common checklist of items routinely look at by Tech, both safety and series.

Leave it to upper management to complicate things ... :roll:

Administrator Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by mitchntx
    I'm reading these replies and I think you guys are reading too much into what Jeff is asking.

I think he is just wanting a common checklist of items routinely look at by Tech, both safety and series.

YES!

So, now that we've established that there is not a "common" checklist, are there plans to make one?

Something simple is all that is needed. Maybe just key things that need to be inspected. I understand that going over the car with a fine tooth comb every weekend is time consuming. But if there was a simple checklist, kind of like a pre-flight checklist that pilots use, then you could get through a car in 5 mins. With 2 people, possibly less.

I am more than willing to help out with creating a list.

JB

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Adam Ginsberg's Avatar
    Well.....doing so leaves out any element of surprise....a key component in series compliance inspections.

Safety inspections are something else altogether.

Hey....I'm no manager, just your everyday worker-bee.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby donovan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Ginsberg
    Well.....doing so leaves out any element of surprise....a key component in series compliance inspections.

Safety inspections are something else altogether.

Hey....I'm no manager, just your everyday worker-bee.
    I have been following this...

He is not asking a Tech Inspection Cheat Sheet to beat the "Element of Surprise"

He is looking for a CMC Rules in a checklist form.

He is not asking for a top ten list either.

I think this is what he is looking for:

*** Clip from CMC Rules***
    6.3. Steering Wheel Lock
    o The steering wheel lock must be removed.
    o 6.4. Air Bags
    o Air bags must be disabled while under competition conditions. The air bag need not be removed.
    o 6.5. Sunroofs/Moonroofs
    o Sunroofs/moonroofs (glass) must be removed and replaced with a sheet metal piece securely covering the opening. A metal sunroof/moonroof may be retained.
    o 6.6. Drive Shaft/Torque Arm Safety Loops
    o All cars must use a suitable drive shaft safety loop to contain the front/transmission end of the drive shaft in the event of a universal joint failure. Additionally GM cars must use a suitable torque arm safety loop to contain the front/transmission end of the torque arm in the event of torque arm and/or torque arm mount failure. The installation of additional safety loops to contain the rear/differential end of the drive shaft and/or torque arm is not required but is allowed and recommended.
    o 6.7. Scattershield
    o The installation of a scattershield or explosion-proof bell housing is not required but is allowed and recommended.
    o 6.8 Master Switch

o An electrical master switch is required. The installation of the electrical master switch must meet the requirements listed in section 15.8 of the CCR.
    *** End Clip ***

__ : Steering wheel lock removed

__ : Air bags disabled

__ : Sunroof/Moonroof; removed and replaced with sheet metal.

__ : Drive shaft/Torque Arm Safety Loop Present

__ : Masterswitch : Test, does it function as CCR specifies

With out running down the entire rule book, I think you get the idea.

Yes, we all read the rules, and we all build our cars to the rules, but a nice quick checklist would be a great addition to accompany the rules.

This all started with Jeff’s impression of the lack of detailed inspection on his new CMC car. He brought out a new CMC car and a few items were looked at in detail, he walked away with the impression that there was no formal process to verify that a CMC car is legal or conforms to the rules. Yes, it is his responsibility and Yes, you spot check rules and verify performance advantage items from time to time, but when a new CMC car shows up you would think that a formal inspection of the car would be expected and the owner that brings the car deserves the time for that to happen.

If there was a said checklist like the one above, a Tech/Series Inspector could pull it out, run thru the list and check off the items looked at. Make notation on items that are not correct and give it to the car owner. The car owner then knows what was looked at and what is not correct on the car, if time is short as Glenn said it was, then he also knows what was not looked at.

Just my thoughts,
    DD

Senior Member Carroll Shelby jeffburch's Avatar
    Wirtzs' car was sure gone over well though huh.
    Why?

8)

jb

Senior Member Carroll Shelby GlennCMC70's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffburch
    Wirtzs' car was sure gone over well though huh.
    Why?

8)

jb
    he was new to ther series, the class, and w/ a new car. Jeff Brooks only peddled back to CMC from AI. i looked over it for AI leftovers.