Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: ***NASA Rule Change- Effective JULY 1, 2007***

***NASA Rule Change- Effective JULY 1, 2007***

Clifton and I were talking this weekend and he asked me to get this out to the discussion boards ASAP so that everyone could be made aware of the new rule. This change will not go into effect until AFTER the NASA Texas June event at MSRH. The first event under the new rule will be Aug at TWS. I got a note from AJ at PST the other day that he will be stocking these nets soon so if you need one, go see him.

CCR 15.17.9 Head Restraint – Side Impact
    As of July 1st, 2007 it is required that all drivers employ a right-side impact head restraint system. A seat with a “bolster” to keep the head from moving to the right side in an impact is acceptable. A side-impact head-net restraint system, such as the Racetech RTViperRP is also acceptable. Note- all side-impact head-net restraint systems must have a quick-release mechanism to aid the driver in case of a necessary egress via the
    passenger side.

Note- it is recommended that a side net wrap around the seat and function to help stop the shoulders, head bolster (if applicable), and seat from moving sideways in an impact. It is best to follow the manufacture’s suggestions for installation of any safety device.

Please let Clifton or I know if you have any questions.

Thanks and we'll see everyone soon!

A
    Adrian Carpenter
    NASA Texas
    www.nasatx.com

Senior Member Carroll Shelby GlennCMC70's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    us TX CMC/AI directors have already had talks about this behind the sences.
    guys this is a "must do". i do not think there will be any grace period given for this.
    AJ has marked the first net for me. i should have it installed this weekend if all goes as planned.

Thanks Glenn- I knew y'all were talking it up behind the scenes but he wanted out there for all to see. You are correct. There will be no grace period given for this. That is why we are trying to get all the info out now.

Thanks again guys- see ya real soon!

A
    Adrian Carpenter
    NASA Texas
    www.nasatx.com

Senior Member Grass-Passer y5e06's Avatar
    For those that have already bought, installed, or shopped for the nets are there any opinions on the pros/cons of the various manufacturers?
    Dust Collector

Senior Member Carroll Shelby AllZWay's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by y5e06
    For those that have already bought, installed, or shopped for the nets are there any opinions on the pros/cons of the various manufacturers?
    I am also curious. The Simpson seems pretty small and would look ineffective and I have seen other with a bigger net....but don't really know anyone using either.

Blog Entries
    i dont like the Simpson one at all. its like 2 straps that come to a point.
    the one PST will offer is like the fine mesh seem on some types of window nets. at the least, i'll bring mine w/ me if i have it by then.

Senior Member Grass-Passer
    How many of you guys are going to use a bolster attached to the seat? Is the one sold by Ultrashield sufficient?
    -- Robert King
    AI #42

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gt40
    How many of you guys are going to use a bolster attached to the seat? Is the one sold by Ultrashield sufficient?
    i bought one for my seat. there is a vid here linked somewhere in another thread about this that shows why i decided to not use it. i'll see if i can link it.

here it is.
    http://www.aicmctexas.com/forums/vie...?p=14120#14120

Senior Member Carroll Shelby mitchntx's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gt40
    I installed the bolster. No regrets.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby donovan's Avatar
    This is what I am doing.

New Window Net on the driver side, I have an 20x18, new net is 16/24x18, covers more of the opening better(angled front), I am moving the existing 20x18 to the passanger side (currently no net):
    http://www.mrproducts.com/detailimg.php?id=152

Right side Head Restraint:
    http://www.mrproducts.com/detailimg.php?id=156

Left side Head Restraint Net:
    http://www.mrproducts.com/detailimg.php?id=274

I have used M&R Products in the past and really like the quality of there stuff, over two other brands I have used.

DD