Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Rule Proposal/change: Disallowance of rear wings in CMC

Senior Member Grass-Passer y5e06's Avatar

Rule Proposal/change: Disallowance of rear wings in CMC

I would like to propose removing the allowance of rear wings in CMC. Based on the ideal of the class, and accounting all the other current allowed performance & visual modifications, I feel the allowance for CMC(2) cars to bolt on air foils and wings does not fit into the spirt of the class.

Propose change to rule
    8.5.4. Any rear spoiler (rear wing)] may be used...

8.5.4. Any rear spoiler may be used. No air foils, wings, or similar devices are allowed...

I know this will affect a few current competitors however, it would require removal of a given modification and not open up the need to fabricate, buy, or otherwise aquire a new part or item to maintain competitiveness. The appearance of CMC cars still follow very closely to those as they rolled out of the factory. The addition of these wings do not fit in this guideline. Nor do I feel this type of modification is consistent with other performance modifications allowed on the current platforms
    Dust Collector

Senior Member Grass-Passer
    awww dude we have to talk more often. Fulcrum Motorsports is about to hook us up on a wing.

How about this
    Any wing may be used including airfoils and wings, so long as the competitor has an appropriate discount(hookup) on the wing to keep it within the spirit of the class.

Yeah that works better.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby RichardP's Avatar
    I'd have to agree with this rule change.

I believe the current rule and it's dimensional constraints is based on the Cobra R wing that came stock??? It has effectively allowed parts that are beyond what CMC stands for.

It certainly could be argued that the addition of a wing (in any shape) isn't realistically a performance benefit to CMC cars so that it's alright if we allow them. I see it a little differently. If there is a perception, especially by people new to the sport, that a wing is a "must have part" for the ultimate CMC car, then the effective cost of admission just went up. The performance benefit, or lack there of, is irrelevant.

I'm for deleting the allowance of wings (the Cobra R model included) in the CMC rules.

Richard P.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby mitchntx's Avatar
    I like the wings ... especially at TWS. 8)

Senior Member Site AdminCarroll Shelby michaelmosty's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mitchntx
    I like the wings ... especially at TWS. 8)
    :x
    -Michael Mosty
    CMC #11 Mosty Brothers' Racing
    Director - TX Region

I would disagree with this change b/c of the investment that some may already have in their wing.
    I would have a huge problem with the "rules-makers" allowing something one year and then disallowing it later.

What if they said for 2008, no "Cobra" parts, no aftermarket 5th gears, etc. People would have to make major adjustments to their cars in order to comply with the new rules.
    -Michael Mosty
    Director - TX Region

Senior Member Grass-Passer y5e06's Avatar
    [quote="michaelmosty"]I would disagree with this change b/c of the investment that some may already have in their wing.
    I would have a huge problem with the "rules-makers" allowing something one year and then disallowing it later.
    quote]

The prededence has been set , its been done before in the interest of controling cost and mods creep. Aftermarket modular 3-piece wheels ring a bell? The weight min and 2 or 1 piece requirement for race wheels was a good decision even though at least one participant got stung. Arguing its a good idea because you already spent $XXX.XX on a particular part isn't the best interest in the class.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby donovan's Avatar
    [quote="y5e06"]
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelmosty
    I would disagree with this change b/c of the investment that some may already have in their wing.
    quote]

The prededence has been set , its been done before in the interest of controling cost and mods creep. Aftermarket modular 3-piece wheels ring a bell? The weight min and 2 or 1 piece requirement for race wheels was a good decision even though at least one participant got stung. Arguing its a good idea because you already spent $XXX.XX on a particular part isn't the best interest in the class.
    and three or four cars showed up at Nationals in CMC with those said wheels... I guess they are legal now...

Yup, Forgelines in CMC!!!!

[quote="y5e06"]
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelmosty
    quote]

Arguing its a good idea because you already spent $XXX.XX on a particular part isn't the best interest in the class.
    That is like me saying I want to disallow 5th gear changes b/c I don't want to spend the money to do it on my car ($600). I have made my own decision that I am not going to spend my money on this improvement. Is that fair to all other competitors who have already spent the money and time to do this? Not at all.
    Everyone has to determine where they will put their money for improvements. Put it in wings, wheels, 5th gears, extra suspension components, motor upgrades, better brakes, extra track time, etc.
    -Michael Mosty
    Director - TX Region