Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: stiff or soft spring question

Senior Member Carroll Shelby ShadowBolt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

stiff or soft spring question

If you had two different set-ups you could put on the same car. Both neutral as can be but one with really stiff springs (and shocks to manage them) and one with soft springs. Would one be faster than the other or would it be just driver preference? This is assuming the track is not rough as hell.

So much to learn so little time.

JJ

Senior Member Carroll Shelby mitchntx's Avatar
    Having run both uber-stiff and soft set-ups, either can be fast.

The window of recovery is less with a stiff spring setup, but the soft set is a lot more difficult to dial in and remain consistent over a race.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Soft.
    Loose is fast.
    Suspension travel is your friend.

-=- T

Senior Member Carroll Shelby ShadowBolt's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd Covini
    Soft.
    Loose is fast.
    Suspension travel is your friend.

-=- T

You say the answer is soft because loose is fast but can't a car be set up loose even with stiff springs?

I do understand that travel is your friend.

JJ

Senior Member Grass-Passer Wirtz's Avatar
    Something to consider given the restricted CMC rules is what anti sway bars are availible for your car. Soft springs can be a good setup but you need stiff anti sways to keep the car working.

Jeff
    - still needing to spend some weekends playing with spring rates

Real racecars LEAN!!! 8)

DISCLAIMER: This post is for entertainment purposes only. The views represented herein are not necessarily that of the author nor that of AICMC Texas.com incorporated. The photos represented herein display the effects of a broken swaybar endlink and not necessarily that of CMC#2 as raced (or garaged).

Senior Member Carroll Shelby GlennCMC70's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Dear God Bryan, you are lucky. Had you ridden in that car back in the day, you would have fallen out the window! :shock:

Depends on the track layout. If you have a track like TWS that has big sweeping turns then I would say you could probably make a soft setup work.

However, if you are on a track like Cresson's 1.3, Houston or other tight and twisty track with QUICK transitions, I would say a stiff setup would work a lot better to control the quick transitions from left to right turns.

I still think you guys in CMC are running setups that are WAY too soft and could run much higher wheel rates to keep the cars planted as well as use less static camber to help under braking. I have dropped nearly a full degree of camber out of my car and braking has improved substantially.

Also, I would think that to drive a soft setup consistantly fast...you are going to use up the tires a lot faster and maybe even get them greasy.

But...I am speaking from an AI perspective so it may not apply to CMC...?
    Ah, fugg it.

Blog Entries
    I was just worried about going out the top when we did our best impersonation of General Lee but those pics make me worry about rolling the car like a Samarai.

Todd-where do you stand with getting the Ranchero back on the track? I may have missed something but haven't heard what you are doing?

Two in a row for Gordon and leading the Chase!!!!!

So it's been a while...any new opinions as to which is better? Soft or Stiff?
    Sounds like there's an array of setups out there, curious as to which one is preferred now after some soak time.

Todd-still-waiting-on-the-bodyshop-Covini