Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: And the hits just keep on comming!!! I am damn lucky...

Senior Member Carroll Shelby

And the hits just keep on comming!!! I am damn lucky...

Well, add me to the list of folks that have had enclosed trailers broken into. They got all my tools, my generator, all my spare and new brake pads, a big spool of wire for the generator.....AND...

As dumb f'n luck would have it, I had to leave the race car in the trailer to finish my little project at the house for the last couple of weeks. Well, they broke the ignition out of the car, took my $10 fire extinguisher, got my wide band computer and overturned my 400lb tool box onto my fiberglass nose for the car. Overall, I am DAMN lucky but what pisses me off the most is all the brake pads. I only had about 300 in tools in the box, but had a lot more in pads and MM alignment tools. Several other trailers have been hit in the complex and the cop that came out got real suspicious of the kid watching over the place.

So...the trailer is for sale and I am going for one I can store in the side yard at the house. Donovan, let's talk trade and some cash if your serious. You are lucky enough to have space at your place to store it so it needs a good home there.

I am going to see if I can figure out a way to get rid of the ignition key set up on the car and bypass all the anti-theft stuff but honestly, having it still in the car is probably the reason they ended up leaving it and the trailer cause it became useless to them. I suppose they may have been coming back to finish it off so it's good I got it all out of there tonight.

Anyway, I guess I am being REALLY calm about this so far because getting all pissed off and worked up about it isn't going to fix anything.

well....really calm rant is now turned off....

MW
    Ah, fugg it.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby mitchntx's Avatar
    Sorry to hear about that, Matt.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby donovan's Avatar
    Matt that sucks...

I will call you tomorrow.

DD

Senior Member Carroll Shelby jeffburch's Avatar
    Sorry to hear this Matt.

Cocaine is a powerful drug

jb

Matt,

Really sorry to hear about the break-in.

Daron figured out how to loose the ignition on the '97. Not sure if that's applicable to your newer car, but give him a call.

Mason
    Mason
    AI75

Senior Member Carroll Shelby AllZWay's Avatar
    Matt that really sucks.... I effn hate thieves. :evil: :evil:

Senior Member Grass-Passer y5e06's Avatar
    Dang, Matt. You've got to be burning up right now. good thing they didn't get the car. Any kind of insurance to cover the losses?
    Just when I was contemplating an enclosed & keeping at a storage lot your misfortunes come along. keeping w/ a steel deck sounds like a good idea if you can't keep an eye on it at home.
    Dust Collector

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    You know, honestly, I am not really steaming that much because I know this could have been MUCH worse. I still have 99% of what was in the trailer dollar wise so it's not too bad. Even the cop last night was telling me " you are awefully calm about this!"... Getting pissed isn't going to fix anything so just come up with plan B and keep things moving. I need to concentrate on getting this thing ready for January dyno and Early Feb race right?!

The stuff that's gone can easily be replaced and thankfully, I didn't leave my HANS in the car like I usually do.

The funny thing is that the downsizing plan to an open trailer to keep at the house was started to prevent something like this....just a few days too late... :cry:
    Ah, fugg it.

That really sucks man. Like you said, it could've been worse though. So what happens with this kind of thing, I mean...doesnt the storage place have some sort of responsability for the safety of your stuff?
    Al Fernandez

Senior Member Carroll Shelby mitchntx's Avatar
    I found out the hard way that some stuff just isn't covered under my home owners policy.

I also discovered that my standard home owners/auto policy does not extend to the enclosed trailer nor it's contents.

A flat bed trailer can be covered, but not an enclosed ... according to Germania, my home and auto carrier.

I went to these guys (thanks Marshall)

http://www.heacockclassic.com/site/

For $500/year I have $15K on the trailer, $15K on the car and $2500 on contents, all agreed value with $1K deductible.

Any accident is covered, fire/theft/vandalism is covered. As long as the car is NOT moving under it's own power, it's covered, even while at the track.

It's not a great deal, but I don't worry quite as much as I used to about it, especially while travelling.