Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: HANS mandatory by 2 June 2008

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Adam Ginsberg's Avatar

HANS mandatory by 2 June 2008

As per the 2008.4 version of the NASA CCR's:

15.17.8 Head and Neck Restraint
    Use of a head and neck restraint system or device carrying an SFI 38.1 certification is mandatory for all drivers as of June 2, 2008. References and information can be found in “Appendix D,” section #29.0 of the CCR.
    29.0 Appendix D
    29.1 Head and Neck Restraint Systems
    29.1.1 General
    There is an up to date list of devices that are SFI 38.1 certified located here: http://www.sfifoundation.com/manuf.html#38.1. If the device is not on this list it will not fulfill the use mandate.

29.1.2 Installation and Replacement
    Any systems used MUST be installed and used according to the manufacturers directions. The driver is ultimately responsible for the proper installation and use of these devices. It should be noted that “webbing based” systems should be replaced at least every three years or sooner if the manufacturer specifies such. Any device that shows signs of wear or abrasions should be sent back to the manufacturer for repair or should be replaced. “Homemade” repairs are not allowed.
    This was copy released within the past day or so, as I DL'd the 2007.26 version on Friday.

As a rule of thumb.....ALL competitors should DL the CCR's at least once a month throughout the season. I've seen changes put out by NASA National without any announcement, and being caught off guard.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby GlennCMC70's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    nice. thanks.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby ShadowBolt's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Great. Getting in and out of the car is not that easy on this old, fat man without some crap around my neck. I can't wait to see how much harder this makes it. I was sure hoping this was not going to be mandantory. Why don't we just restrict the cars to 30 mph and no one will ever get hurt.

Firesuit on
    JJ

Senior Member Grass-Passer y5e06's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ShadowBolt
    Great. Getting in and out of the car is not that easy on this old, fat man without some crap around my neck. I can't wait to see how much harder this makes it. I was sure hoping this was not going to be mandantory. Why don't we just restrict the cars to 30 mph and no one will ever get hurt.

Firesuit on
    JJ
    sheshh, have you tried getting in & out with one yet? Buy it, wear it, get used to it.
    if you have that much of a problem get the quick release tethers. There is even a new model of those out that is supposidly better. I have the old style.
    Dust Collector

Senior Member Grass-Passer
    I wear a HANS with the quick release tethers. As I come off of pit road into the pits I pull the tethers and when it is time to get out of my car (Spec Miata) I have no problems.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Rob Liebbe's Avatar
    Does anyone know of a HANS dealer/installer in the Houston area?
    Rob Liebbe - Texas Region
    Camaro, Mustang, doesn't matter to me, I'll race it.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby AllZWay's Avatar
    I bought one with quick release tethers, but I have not released that way once. I have never neede too.... I didn't even do it in the exit test at the last event.

Honestly guys... you never even notice it is on once you get used to the change in the way the belts feel to you as a result of the chest part of the Hans.

BTW... there is no real trick to installing the anchors to your helmet. You check, double-check and triple check your measurments that you are in fact drilling in the correct spot. It is a 15 minute job tops.

Senior Member Site AdminCarroll Shelby michaelmosty's Avatar
    I have the quick-release tethers on mine and I usually pull them on the cool down lap so I can look over at other drivers.
    As far as an emergency test I never pull them.
    I think this is a great rules addition. It does feel different when you first race with it but after 1 event you won't even know it is there.

FWIW, I wear my HANS all the time even during seperate practice days. If I didn't wear it I would probablly feel uncomfortable.
    -Michael Mosty
    CMC #11 Mosty Brothers' Racing
    Director - TX Region

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Adam Ginsberg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AllZWay
    Honestly guys... you never even notice it is on once you get used to the change in the way the belts feel to you as a result of the chest part of the Hans.
    James, Morgan and others are spot on....once you use it, it will become like any other safety item...you won't race without it. I use it in practice, qual, and of course, racing.

BTW... there is no real trick to installing the anchors to your helmet. You check, double-check and triple check your measurments that you are in fact drilling in the correct spot. It is a 15 minute job tops.
    Amen to that. Back in 2005, I did a write up on how to install the bolts on a helmet. It's not difficult at all.

Additionally, Hubbard and Downing have released a new set of tethers that allow you to move your head much more than the earlier releases. Cost is ~$75, and should be available in late Dec/early Jan. I'm getting mine from AJ @ PST as soon as they are available.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Fbody383's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ShadowBolt
    I was sure hoping this was not going to be mandantory. Why don't we just restrict the cars to 30 mph and no one will ever get hurt.
    Firesuit on
    JJ
    Jerry, I have a HANS in the closet and don't even have a helmet yet but know I wouldn't race without one and I believe a sanctioning body with these rules should enforce them diligently. HNRs have proven very effective in reducing injuries.

That said, I am coming to believe there are non SFI 38.1 products that are at least equal in performance to the HANS and may actually provide better lateral protection. Whether or not they will ever be allowed will continue to be debated over the next several year; perhaps Kunzman and crew will share their thoughts on why the 38.1 is required, maybe not.

**FLAME ON**
    As the rookie, take this as you want - if you are disconnecting HANS tethers, loosening belts or deactivating other safety devices while still on track, you're being foolish. If you've seen my posts on NASA FORUMS on this topic and you are "going to sue NASA, when I crash, for making me..." please, let me know who you are.
    **FLAME OFF**

David
    #39 CMC Camaro
    Orange is Fast!
    CMC-NT01 FTW!