Page 11 of 31 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Operation: Willful destruction of vehicle

Hybrid View

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    umm...guys...we're not talking about "willful destruction of vehicle" any longer. This is starting to sound more like "automotive vanity and the gentrification of vehicles". :lol:

Senior Member Carroll Shelby GlennCMC70's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    change paint. i painted mine in 2004. havent touched them sence.
    Duplicolor 500 degree simi-gloss.
    not sure why you like my windshield clips so much. i can make you a set.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby jeffburch's Avatar
    Tried it.
    Oh well.

jb

Blog Entries
    i have no issue w/ the chrome ones. as long as they are like for like w/ the ones on your car now. the finish is not an issue at all. but the magnesium ones aint gonna fly.

Senior Member Grass-Passer Jeremy Gunter's Avatar
    Todd,
    Thanks for that explanation... I do understand the reasoning behind CMC... and thats why I am racing it and not AI series... I'm not really trying to cause a fuss, I have just had a few conversations with matt about the valve covers... I know there is an issue with the covers, and a possible fix, which requires a few bucks in rivets... Cheap, but I don't know that I trust it... thats where new valve covers come in... so "IF" I actually get the car to race ready this season, prior to a beg and plea for a rules change on these specific covers, which I know will never happen, I will run the fix matt has suggested, that being said....

Glen,
    Can I fix my valve covers? by cutting off the baffle that caused matts issue, drill out the holes, and place rivets in these holes? they would not be "stock"....

JB grats on the new valve covers :P
    have you really not shaved since sat? if not, you should... it's not good for your personal appearance or for first impressions... :wink:

Quote Originally Posted by GlennCMC70
    i have no issue w/ the chrome ones. as long as they are like for like w/ the ones on your car now. the finish is not an issue at all. but the magnesium ones aint gonna fly.
    then can I get mine in a metal finish? ops:

On topic, Radiator, overflow and Harmonic Balancer came in this evening... Bought a new Pressure Line for the Power Steering/Hydroboost tonight, installed it and the Balancer...
    Left to do: Install radiator and overflow, Install Michaels Passenger seat, button up wires under dash, get tires mounted on wheels, wheels on car, H-pipe back in, front windshield replaced, fluids filled and starter installed... VROOOMMMMM....

BTW I got a code violation from the city of Rowlett for a "JUNK CAR"... he has no idea!!!!!!!!

Blog Entries
    i dont get a warm fuzzy w/ the rivets. use them if you want.....but....
    most rivets are of the "pop" type. meaning they have a stem that breaks off once a certain amount of force is applied to them. that broken off stem remains inside the rivet and can fall off into the motor. aside from the stem falling in the motor, it then leaves the center of the rivet w/ a hole in it allowing oil to spray out.

i would find a nice quality #10x32 bolt and a interference fit nut (jet nuts) and drill a hole (or 2) and bolt it in place. or i would go ahead and break it out and use a nice high grade epoxy to glue it.
    could you possibly run w/out the baffle?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Gunter
    then can I get mine in a metal finish? ops:
    sure, lots of paint companys make "Stainless Steel" and "Cast Iron" colors. :P

maybe cutting out the baffle wasn't part of the fix, I could be making stuff up in my own head...

Senior Member Carroll Shelby ShadowBolt's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    i dont get a warm fuzzy w/ the rivets. use them if you want.....but....
    most rivets are of the "pop" type. meaning they have a stem that breaks off once a certain amount of force is applied to them. that broken off stem remains inside the rivet and can fall off into the motor. aside from the stem falling in the motor, it then leaves the center of the rivet w/ a hole in it allowing oil to spray out.

i would find a nice quality #10x32 bolt and a interference fit nut (jet nuts) and drill a hole (or 2) and bolt it in place. or i would go ahead and break it out and use a nice high grade epoxy to glue it.
    could you possibly run w/out the baffle?

Use a closed end rivet and the mandel can't come out and no oil will leak out either. Use the correct rivet for the job and it will work perfect.

JJ