Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Lipstick on a pig?

Hybrid View

Senior Member Carroll Shelby donovan's Avatar
    Looks awesome!

Hope I can keep up.

DD

I've got to catch you John and Matt first. One step at a time grasshopper.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Quote Originally Posted by dirwin
    Any ideas as to the legality?
    Technically, you could put a nose off a lamborghini Diablo on the car as long as the shock towers and frame rails stay in place and you meet track and wheelbase requirements.

I was looking into one piece lift off noses a few months ago that would be the hood, fenders nose and splitter all made in one piece of fiberglass but decided I didn't need it....for now. :lol: There are some REAL nice noses for the 05+ cars that the Pro5.0 and Promods are using that are sectioned, lowered and smoothed that would look great on an your car!

You may want to take it one step at a time though to make sure you aren't affecting cooling to the motor or brakes. Seems the fox guys who recently did aero may have affected their brake cooling ducts!

See you in a few days!
    Ah, fugg it.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby donovan's Avatar
    You are right there with us!

DD :wink:

Senior Member Carroll Shelby marshall_mosty's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AI#97
    ...Seems the fox guys who recently did aero may have affected their brake cooling ducts!
    Depends on who you talk to. I didn't have any issues with the old LX nose, and now the brake cooling air is funnelled from two 5" coffee can openings. Shouldn't be an issue as I see it!!!

See you guys in a few!
    Marshall Mosty
    AI/SI Texas Regional Director
    2011 NASA-TX American Iron Champ
    AI #67 "Mosty Brothers' Racing" (RIP)
    ST6 #21 Toyota Corolla (being revived)...

After my oil temp problems in Houston I finally got off my rear and built a sealed radiator air box that should keep things nice and cool (damn near sucked in the dog when the fan came on).

The problem with running a one piece is the my hood is already carbon fiber and weighs less than 4 pounds (before paint), stock OEM S197 fenders have no inner support and only weigh 7 or so pounds each and the entire bumper cover is right at 11 pounds. I can lose just about everthing that weighs underneath except the strut towers and frame rails and I think a giant fiberglass front would be heavier. Not to mention, you really have to keep some of the OEM support for the strut tower or I am going to go backwards with the top of the strut flopping all over the place. These cars are always going to be heavier than a fox or SN95 and they are really rough on strut supports.

After my oil temp problems in Houston I finally got off my rear and built a sealed radiator air box that should keep things nice and cool (damn near sucked in the dog when the fan came on).

The problem with running a one piece is the my hood is already carbon fiber and weighs less than 4 pounds (before paint), stock OEM S197 fenders have no inner support and only weigh 7 or so pounds each and the entire bumper cover is right at 11 pounds. I can lose just about everthing that weighs underneath except the strut towers and frame rails and I think a giant fiberglass front would be heavier. Not to mention, you really have to keep some of the OEM support for the strut tower or I am going to go backwards with the top of the strut flopping all over the place. These cars are always going to be heavier than a fox or SN95 and they are really rough on strut supports.
    Overall, I have added weight to the front of mine...but generated MUCH more aerodynamic benefits and down force....with more to come! :twisted:
    Ah, fugg it.

7.4.3 Only OEM (or the equivalent replacement of same type and material) body panels may used in the American Iron Class except as noted in Sections 7.4.4 and 7.4.7.
    7.4.4 Composite hoods, hatchbacks, trunk lids, front fenders, fender flares, and bumper covers (fiberglass/carbon fiber, etc.) are allowed within the power to weight ratio constraints of the American Iron Class.
    7.4.7 AI vehicles may modify wheel openings for the purpose of tire clearance only but when viewed from above the top half of the tire must not be visible. Composite (fiberglass/carbon fiber, etc) front fenders and rear fender flares are allowed.

I'd check with the AI Series Directors prior to going to the next step and chopping/channeling or installing a Superbird nose. :lol:

I'll get a read from the National directors, but let's be sure prior to proceeding any further than where you're at. :wink:

Car looks mean!

-=- Todd
    American Iron Series - National Director

Re: Lipstick on a pig?

Quote Originally Posted by RichardP
    What do you think?
    No where near the limit of the AI rules... But then neither is anyone else. Yet.
    Is this more of what you're thinking of, RP?

I like, I like!!!!
    Looks great and very mean! ;-)

Have fun and kick there but at MSR-C
    John G.
    www.chicane23store.com
    http://www.chicane23.com/chicane23/i...ane23_ban1.gif

Maximum Motorsports, Griggs Racing, G-Stream Wings, Brembo, Canton, Fuel Safe, Toyo Tires, Hoosier, Koni, StopTechPit Pal, etc.
    2004 & 2005 American Iron series Champion