Page 233 of 308 FirstFirst ... 133183223231232233234235243283 ... LastLast
Results 2,321 to 2,330 of 3071

Thread: So, what did you do today?

Senior Member Grass-Passer
    Quote Originally Posted by AllZWay View Post
    Ditto!! Very cool. I would like to do this sometime.
    Don't wait until you're too old or anything or wait until you've got the right car or whatever other excuse you can think of. Just get a reliable car that will handle the transits & track stuff and go for the experience your first year. M&Ms route of using a somewhat stock WRX STi is perfect. It's a pretty incredible experience. You'll either figure out it's for you and have that year of experience under your belt to really truly *know* what the event is about and what sort of machine, mods package, etc you want or you'll have it crossed off your bucket list and on to the next challenge.

I did it in '07 as part of an already established team (Neon SRT-4 with about ~400whp) so my experience was a little less trial-by-fire-learn-from-your-mistakes which had its upsides and downsides. Since we weren't new just a couple new team members there was that pressure that we should do even better especially from the car owner / main driver. Didn't get as much driving time as part of a 3 man rotation either that was heavy rotation with the car owner taking tracks he had done before and leaving us newbs splitting up the tracks that were new to the whole team. But it was still a fun experience especially at the end of the event coming in 5th overall and 1st in class. The driving I got to do at Hallett in the mist first time ever in the car at speed period and then having to recalibrate for the dry 2nd session (to come in 11th), the drag stuff, etc. plus just the overall experience of making it through the event itself was something anybody will carry with them for their lives.

I'm itching to do another run at it, even in a car that may not even be competitive in stock class, it was that fun to me anyways.
    Ken Brewer; 1994 Toyota MR2 - #6 PTF
    SI wannabe - anyone got a spare money tree?
    "Zoom Zoom Zoom - On any given weekend more Mazdas make optimistic pass attempts than any other brand!"

Senior Member Site AdminCarroll Shelby michaelmosty's Avatar
    I pulled the engine on Sunday and found a little issue:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater

The motor started running bad in qual so I came in early. Looked through the plugs, pushrods, rockers, etc and didn't see anything wrong. Since all 8 plugs looked good at that time I guess the valve came apart some time on the out lap or lap 1 of the first race. I guess the motor finally let go fully when the side of the cylinder wall broke apart.
    It is funny to think the motor actually started up and ran for a second on Saturday night. Amazing what a few beers will make you do, haha.
    -Michael Mosty
    CMC #11 Mosty Brothers' Racing
    Director - TX Region

Senior Member Carroll Shelby marshall_mosty's Avatar

The lump next to the spark plug is the head of the exhaust valve...
    Marshall Mosty
    AI/SI Texas Regional Director
    2011 NASA-TX American Iron Champ
    AI #67 "Mosty Brothers' Racing" (RIP)
    ST6 #21 Toyota Corolla (being revived)...

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Rsmith350's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    ^^^^^looks like a coffee table waiting to happen ^^^^^^^^^^
    " Racing makes crack addiction look like a mild craving for something salty"

Senior Member Carroll Shelby ShadowBolt's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelmosty View Post
    I pulled the engine on Sunday and found a little issue:

The motor started running bad in qual so I came in early. Looked through the plugs, pushrods, rockers, etc and didn't see anything wrong. Since all 8 plugs looked good at that time I guess the valve came apart some time on the out lap or lap 1 of the first race. I guess the motor finally let go fully when the side of the cylinder wall broke apart.
    It is funny to think the motor actually started up and ran for a second on Saturday night. Amazing what a few beers will make you do, haha.
    pre-Karma for what you guys were going to do to my car the next night.

JJ

Senior Member Grass-Passer Hood's Avatar
    Got news... you either broke a valve spring first or lost/failed the lock. When the valve dropped into the cylinder, it broke the head off and bounced around in there until it got the piston and cylinder. I had the same EXACT thing happen at MSR Houston in 2010. Since any valve spring is allowed on these engines, use a double that can be shimmed to within .090 of coil bind. Check retainer to valve stem seal clearance at full open to avoid problems too.
    Gary Hood
    CMC #20
    OH WOW! Racing

Jet lag equals opportunity to spend uninterrupted shop time in the wee hours of the morning without even a yawn

Got my new slave cylinder/throwout bearing, new spacers, put everything in, got the transmission back in, exhaust back on all in record time (for me). I get to go do it all again, because the F ing Ford POS throwought bearing leaks hydraulic fluid all over the place! Are you F ing kidding me! F*&#!!!

Senior Member Carroll Shelby marshall_mosty's Avatar
    Sorry Mark... I had the same thing. With the new rack and pinion that went in, came back out, went in, came back out... Finally realized the rack casing was different between the two racks. Swapped the hard lines, ground a little off the new rack and after about 4 hours of f'n with it, it's in the car and all is well.

Built a mini tire rack on the front of the trailer for 2 tires. Now I can bring 2 trailer spares, a full set of rains, and a full set of drys...
    Marshall Mosty
    AI/SI Texas Regional Director
    2011 NASA-TX American Iron Champ
    AI #67 "Mosty Brothers' Racing" (RIP)
    ST6 #21 Toyota Corolla (being revived)...

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Blog Entries
    Got the rebuilt motor on the stand and started bolting stuff on it.

Went to a friend's kid's 1st birthday party and realized I was the only "bachelor" there. Damn getting old sucks.

Went back home afterwards to finish bolting up stuff. Letting the RTV cure some more before filling it up, priming it, and dropping the car on to it (get it? haha). Stretch goal is to get a late evening spin around the block tomorrow then dyno later this week.
    Last edited by Pranav; 05-31-2014 at 10:18 PM.