Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Class Spec discussion

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Rsmith350's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Class Spec discussion

Keep it simple, keep it stock, keep it (relatively) inexpensive. Merging the 2 classes increases costs, significantly, when it doesn't need to.
    This is the spirit of the class in it's simplest terms....I think.

My problem as a person in the middle of building a CMC car is that parts are getting hard to find and expensive. (for third gen, no one wants to keep a 305!!!)

What i would like to get out of this conversation is some intelligent and well thought out plans on the future of this series and how we are going to handle things as the new generations come out (5th gen coming soon ) Eventually no one will want to run a third gen for the same reasons that no one runs a 2nd gen. Parts are hard to find and alot more expensive to make it competitive with the higher generation cars (who have more horsepower, better suspension, better brakes, lighter weight)

I know someone will bring up the spec engine but seriously ya'll even with a spec engine......all Glenn, Al, mitch,morgan, etc. has to do is remove a restrictor and walk all over you (on the straights for sure). I chose to run a third gen because coming into this because i thought it would be more cost effective. Bull$h** As this whole thing progesses I realize i could have picked up a 4th gen really cheap and had alot more flexibility as far as class progression.

I hope this thread becomes a constructive and pertinent discussion.
    " Racing makes crack addiction look like a mild craving for something salty"

Senior Member Carroll Shelby mitchntx's Avatar

Re: Class Spec discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Rsmith350

My problem as a person in the middle of building a CMC car is that parts are getting hard to find and expensive. (for third gen, no one wants to keep a 305!!!)
    Not unlike an LT1 ... while just an SBC, it's reverse flow cooling makes it a limited production design, made for 4 years ...

Unported heads, unwarped (enough to maintain compression ratio) are getting damned hard to find. I went through 3 sets before I found a set that would work with the thickest head gasket available.

I've discussed with the powers in charge identifying a "spec" head that would yield similar power curves as a stock head.

A class built around the term "inexpensive" is getting kind of pricey in select arenas.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby AllZWay's Avatar

Re: Class Spec discussion

Quote Originally Posted by mitchntx

Not unlike an LT1 ... while just an SBC, it's reverse flow cooling makes it a limited production design, made for 4 years ...

Unported heads, unwarped (enough to maintain compression ratio) are getting damned hard to find. I went through 3 sets before I found a set that would work with the thickest head gasket available.

I've discussed with the powers in charge identifying a "spec" head that would yield similar power curves as a stock head.

A class built around the term "inexpensive" is getting kind of pricey in select arenas.
    Not to mention that a good T56 and it's associated parts are becoming much harder to find and very pricey.

I almost couldn't find a bell housing. Mitch loaned me one...but I finally got lucky and found one at a decent price.

Blog Entries
    I figured that might be the case. I am all for keeping CMC as stock as possible but i think the options as far as car setup are in order.

I was thinking about throwing a 350 in the car I have and going to AI after I get my feet wet in CMC.

Can anyone tell me why 3rd Gen's are not allowed in CMC2 :?: :?: :?:

Senior Member Carroll Shelby mitchntx's Avatar
    Can anyone tell me why 3rd Gen's are not allowed in CMC2 :?: :?: :?:
    Limiting engine modifications to whatever was available from the factory. 305s didn't make the HP. And 350s didn't come with a manual trans.

Blog Entries
    So basically I made a poor choice of generation. I am now limited to either being regular CMC or being a AI freak (just kidding) unless I change cars (read...$$$$$$$$$$$$$$)

Senior Member Site AdminCarroll Shelby michaelmosty's Avatar
    What would it take to get a 305 to 250 rwhp? Would that be possible as an alternative to switching to a 350?
    -Michael Mosty
    CMC #11 Mosty Brothers' Racing
    Director - TX Region

Senior Member Carroll Shelby GlennCMC70's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    one thing to realize is its gonna cost X to race.
    now, you can start off w/ a very low costing platform like a Fox (these things are a dime a dozen). you eventually will spend X to run up front.
    now a 3rd gen is a little closer to X to start w/. but still will require some money to run up front, thus X is the cost it takes.
    now a 4th gen pretty much costs X right up front and takes very little added money to get up front.

so from my point of view the addition of CMC-2 just raises X. now those of you w/ Fox and 3rd gen and LT1 4th gen cars likely have already spent X. now the CMC-2 cars will need to spend X plus X2 to run up front.
    as the class evolves CMC and CMC-2 will likely end up at the same place.

the point is, some of you here picked the car your in likely due to cost. this is potentially gonna cost you in the long run if CMC ends up in CMC-2.

my advice to you Ross, is dont try and bring a MAX built effort 3rd gen to the track on its first outing. get the car safe, and mechanically sound. upgrade and mod it as time and money allow. the car will be more able than the driver for a few years. the quickest way to get discouraged is to have a class winning car and a mid pack driver. the CMC/CMC-2 deal will take many years to resolve. i'm sure CMC-2 will be getting lots of tweaks well thru 2010. class merging is at least 5 plus years out.

Blog Entries
    Ross - dont panic. you and the other CMC only cars are not going to be left out to dry. there will always be a place for you to race.

CMC-2 was made to allow the non-legal CMC cars a place to race for the time being. this allows the rules makers a place to tweak the rules for those cars till they can be made even w/ CMC. it may require CMC to be tweaked to make that happen. a 350 for the 3rd gen is an option. also allowing the LT1 -T56 is too. a GM crate motor (ZZ4?).
    the Fox car is gonna be a little harder to make happen.

also, i've already been told that if you wanna run your CMC legal car in CMC-2, just ask. they will let you do it. just dont bitch about having to stick w/ the 305 for now if you do it. if you want to be a pioneer, get w/ Tony and offer solutions. offer to help find what will work and what will not.

Blog Entries
    Ross - call me if you want. i'm available all day.
    214-869-9603