Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 3rd Gen Master Kill Switch Problems

Senior Member Rookie

3rd Gen Master Kill Switch Problems

I have this switch:
    http://www.pegasusautoracing.com/pro...asp?RecID=1464
    Wiring diagram:
    http://www.pegasusautoracing.com/Images/L/4430-inst.jpg

I have it wired as shown. The heavy gauge (factory) pink wire (ignition switch to ignition coil) under the dash is the wire that is "broken" by the Z terminals.

The good: The switch "works". It kills the car completely and instantly. No funny noises or such.

Problem:
    Turn key, flip master switch, fire up car. Car starts fine. Flip master switch to "kill", car dies. Restart the car, car idles incredibly rough and dies on it's own. Second restart, car fires up normally and runs normally, no problems.

Repeat the process. Car running, flip kill switch, car dies. Restart car, horrible idle, car dies on it's own. Second restart, car fires up normal, no problem.

Help? :?

Fuel pump turns on every time. Otherwise no other funny noises or symptoms that I can see/hear?
    Nick Valentin

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Fbody383's Avatar

Re: 3rd Gen Master Kill Switch Problems

Quote Originally Posted by NickV
    Flip master switch to "kill", car dies. Restart the car, car idles incredibly rough and dies on it's own. Second restart, car fires up normally and runs normally, no problems.
    Is the fuel pump running the entire time or is it "behind" the cutoff? Is the car just flooded?

FWIW, the first switch I put in never saw a start, it failed mechanically after about a dozen cycles. Does the switch still feel mechanically sound?
    #39 CMC Camaro
    Orange is Fast!
    CMC-NT01 FTW!

Senior Member Rookie
    Fuel pump turns on/off with the switch. Everything dies with the switch.

The switch is brand new. This is the first time it's ever been installed. It's got no issues as far as mechanical "feel"?
    Nick Valentin

Senior Member Carroll Shelby GlennCMC70's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    when the switch is flipped does it kill all power to everything? i have my car set-up to keep the memory on the PCM hot at all times, even when the master is turned off. it could be doing a form of re-learn.

Senior Member Rookie
    It kills all power, so yeah, the PCM relearn is a possibility. That's a good idea with the PCM hot thing. I'll have to look in to that.
    Nick Valentin

Just from one competitor to another...might want to re-read the your governing rules. Kill switch is supposed to kill everything, it is a safety measure.
    Al Fernandez

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Quote Originally Posted by Al Fernandez
    Just from one competitor to another...might want to re-read the your governing rules. Kill switch is supposed to kill everything, it is a safety measure.
    and if you have an electronic fire system...kill that too huh?! :roll: The intent is to kill ignition, fuel pump and fan to prevent fires or to not fuel them. If you are saving memory on an EPROM, I SERIOUSLY doubt anyone would ding you in tech unless they just wanted to be a hardass...I don't even think Adam would give you a hard time on that?
    Ah, fugg it.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby GlennCMC70's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AI#97
    Quote Originally Posted by Al Fernandez
    and if you have an electronic fire system...kill that too huh?! :roll: The intent is to kill ignition, fuel pump and fan to prevent fires or to not fuel them. If you are saving memory on an EPROM, I SERIOUSLY doubt anyone would ding you in tech unless they just wanted to be a hardass...I don't even think Adam would give you a hard time on that?
    read the CCR Matt.
    the official stance of mine and Al's is what the CCR says.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Fbody383's Avatar
    Nick, sorry for butting in.

Quote Originally Posted by GlennCMC70
    i have my car set-up to keep the memory on the PCM hot at all times, even when the master is turned off. it could be doing a form of re-learn.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2008 CCR
    15.8 Master Switch - An electrical master switch is recommended on all cars, and required onsome, as listed in the class rules. It shall be mounted so that it is easily accessible from the outside. If mounted outside the cockpit, it should be mounted in an area where it is least likely to be damage (e.g. cowling near wipers). The switch shall cut all power except to the onboard fire system and any other life support / medical device. The switch location must be clearly marked. Any marked switch must function as per this rule, or the indication decal must be removed.
    Quote Originally Posted by GlennCMC70
    the official stance of mine and Al's is what the CCR says.
    Now I'm confused. Is it ok to wire the PCM constant power feed around the master disconnect switch?

I currently have the master dicsonnetct switch mounted behind the shifter on the transmission tunnel - do I need to move it?
    #39 CMC Camaro
    Orange is Fast!
    CMC-NT01 FTW!

Senior Member Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by Fbody383
    I currently have the master dicsonnetct switch mounted behind the shifter on the transmission tunnel - do I need to move it?
    I've heard a lot of suggestions on where to mount it, but it always comes down to a) can you, the driver of the car, reach it while strapped in and b) can a corner-worker reach it from either side of the car.
    Nick Valentin