Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Reports From Performance Racing Industry Show 2008!

Reports From Performance Racing Industry Show 2008!

I have already been here for one day attending a Stack Tech Agent Conference. Really nothing to report from this, but if you are looking for precise, accurate, and reliable data acq, I can prepare a quote for you!

HANS- They have finally released a Quick Disconnect Sliding Tether assembly!!! It will be shipping in late January and will be in the neighborhood of $110. It is really cool, the "D" ring portion of the QD is part of the helmet anchor and is bolted to the helmet. Ths also eliminates searching for the pull cables that were further behind you. They have also lowered their price on the basic device to $645 for a sport model that has tethers attached to the helmet with screws. The device will then have to be unbolted from the helmet.

Toyo- I talked extensively with a tire engineer/guru about R888 and RA1s. The deal is that the setups will be completly different (we already new this) The R888 is more sensitive to temperature and a little less to pressure. Look for about 170-180 degrees of temp. More than that will cause the tire to fall off. To achieve this your pressure will have to be near 37 to 41 PSI. The R888 has a stiffer sidewall than the RA1. It will give the car a different feel. So, be ready for that. The Toyo rep did recommend shaving the tire for an ultimate quick lap time. He told me that the tire falling off is because of overheating of the tire. Apparently, this is easy to do with the R888. I will strongly suggest testing the tire prior to the first race weekend... For more info email or call me.

These are the highlights of the information I learned from the show today.

Thank you all very much for the support during 2008!

BTW, I spent some time with the 2009 Koni GS Camaro, It is a VERY cool car, it will be very nice to see the car run head to head with the Boy Racer.
    AJ Petersen
    Shock Technician
    STACK Technical Agent

Performance Speed Tech
    817-512-4780
    Keeping You On Track!
    www.performancespeedtech.com

Senior Member Carroll Shelby GlennCMC70's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Thanks AJ!! nice update on the R888.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby mitchntx's Avatar
    Scrubs or fresh shaved?

At that pressure, I would think scrubs would be the ticket.

Thanks for the report AJ!

Scrubs or Shaved?

Well, that really is the question... The tire manufacturer will say that it performs the same as long and the temperature does not exceed 180 degree F. So, it will be up to the user to decide the right way to go. The rep did not answer my direct question of wether the tire needed to be shaved or not. He also did not answer directly if the tire will fall off quicker when shaved. He did state that a shaved tire is quicker than a full tread.

The rep did tell me that the tire will not need to be heat cycled to increase life, like is done with Hoosiers. It will be interesting to test the hardness of the tire during the life of a full tread.

Bottom line is try to tune the tire to opperate in the 170 to 180 range. Keep the temp spread between 10 degrees form outer to inner. This is true rather it is stickers, scrubs, or shaved.

I am working on a tech seminar for late Jan... The Toyo guru will be in TX around that time. I know there is a race around that time but I am working on it...
    AJ Petersen
    Shock Technician
    STACK Technical Agent

Performance Speed Tech
    817-512-4780
    Keeping You On Track!

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    WHY would a tire manufacturer build a crappier tire as a successor.

Thanks for the tech info AJ, it totallly supports my thoughts about the tire and the first hand accounts of people who have run them saying they "walk" in the corners.

I am guessing our track records are going to hold for a while! :?
    Ah, fugg it.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby mitchntx's Avatar
    I am tending to agree.

The ONLY adjustment CMC has in the rear is tire pressure. It appears the tire bill is going up as well as lap times.

Do not throw Toyo under the bus until a good setup has been found with the car and it has been developed on the car. It WILL take some time, hopefully the information I have learned and shared will help speed the process for all.

Schroth- They have a center net version made out of polyester for $95.00. It is SFI approved and a 4 point attachment. There is a rachet to tension the forward mount as well as three points of attachment on the rear. They also have a new Enduro belt produced for quick driver changes aimed a the professional level market.

PFC- PFC is extremely keen to produce a AI and CMC-2 brake kits. These will be complete with the smooth face rotor and a forged monobloc caliper. The price will be near $2400/axle. I need to gauge interest...

Lots of other cool little items that can help accelerate your tuning and car setup. I have found a cheap infared tire temperature monitor system with display or ready for data acq. logging ($299).

I also am working with a shock manufacturer to help change the shock valving with the new R888... Controling the temp of the tire will be the key and the loading of the tire will need to be inpart controlled by the shocks.

Last day is tomorrow, but I have seen most of the show. The real high points are the new HANS anchors and lower prices. Please give me some feed back on the brake systems. I need to gauge interest for a true proper race system at a reasonable cost.

Thanks
    AJ
    AJ Petersen
    Shock Technician
    STACK Technical Agent

Performance Speed Tech
    817-512-4780
    Keeping You On Track!

Senior Member Carroll Shelby RichardP's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AJ@PST
    PFC- PFC is extremely keen to produce a AI and CMC-2 brake kits. These will be complete with the smooth face rotor and a forged monobloc caliper. The price will be near $2400/axle. I need to gauge interest...AJ

The recently released CMC rules limit the calipers to $600 each. I'm not smart enough to know what that actually means in the real world where people buy "kits" but I'm guessing at $2400 an axle, this kit wouldn't fly. If it did, I'm guessing the market would be really small.

For AI, I would pay the price premium (if I had money, which I don't) over say a StopTech kit if it was a comparable level kit without the track deficiencies from the StopTech being a streetable setup. For many people, though, it might be a hard sell and again a pretty small market.

Richard P.

Quote Originally Posted by RichardP
    Quote Originally Posted by AJ@PST
    PFC- PFC is extremely keen to produce a AI and CMC-2 brake kits. These will be complete with the smooth face rotor and a forged monobloc caliper. The price will be near $2400/axle. I need to gauge interest...AJ

The recently released CMC rules limit the calipers to $600 each. I'm not smart enough to know what that actually means in the real world where people buy "kits" but I'm guessing at $2400 an axle, this kit wouldn't fly. If it did, I'm guessing the market would be really small.

For AI, I would pay the price premium (if I had money, which I don't) over say a StopTech kit if it was a comparable level kit without the track deficiencies from the StopTech being a streetable setup. For many people, though, it might be a hard sell and again a pretty small market.

Richard P.
    Thanks Richard,
    I was unaware of the cost rule. If it only pertains to calipers then I believe that I can come in under the rule. These new PFC calipers are being done in such massive quantities that they can offer a 4-piston 2-peice caliper for $513.97-Retail (Still Made-in-the-USA!!). This is a race caliper that will be non dust booted and extremely stiff. I was talking with the big whigs at PFC today and the $2400 number was thrown out. So, that will be the price ceiling. The idea is to give you guys a reason to not upgrade to a StopTech or Wilwood setup... There can be zoomier systems built for AI and beyond. The tirst step is getting PFC to produce a caliper bracket and rotor hat. Then the rest is plug and play!

The question is do you spend money for upgraded brake system components or continue to spend money replacing factory type adaptations? If there is a need, desire, and market, I can get it done, manufacturers are looking for projects.
    AJ Petersen
    Shock Technician
    STACK Technical Agent

Performance Speed Tech
    817-512-4780
    Keeping You On Track!