Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2009 Team Announcements

Senior Member Carroll Shelby

2009 Team Announcements

PRESS RELEASE - FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

January 13, 2009

TEAM VARVINI TO ACCEPT THE TEXAS CAMARO MUSTANG CHALLENGE

Todd Covini of Covini Motorsports Management, LLC has signed two-time CMC Champion Eric Varner of TEK Racing to restore & drive the infamous #2 CMC Mustang in the NASA Texas 2009 CMC Championship season. Since 2007, neither Covini nor Varner have been behind the wheel of their Mustangs. Covini’s roadster was damaged in a spectacular off-track excursion at Texas World Speedway in April of 2007 which left the car irreparable until now. Varner won the Texas CMC Championships in 2004 & 2005, before selling his car and semi-retiring to take care of family needs.

“I’m looking forward to the new role as car owner.” said Todd of the new arrangement. “Eric will have primary driving duties in the ‘88 Mustang and is likely going to drive 88% of the season” he added. For 2009, Todd Covini will be a part of the NASA Texas staff and concentrate on the growth & development of all of their racing series. Covini Motorsports Management, LLC has also signed on with Grand American Road Racing as a Field Official for their Rolex, Koni Challenge, Mustang Challenge & Ferrari Challenge events this year. “Between the Grand Am events and the NASA Texas events, I’ll have my hands full time wise. Eric is the right person to bring the Fox Mustang back to life and go after the coveted CMC Championship for Team Varvini.” reported Todd.

Eric Varner was overheard on Saturday saying “I just miss seeing the annual Texas AI/CMC season recap videos. Sure I love the racing, but I really miss the camaraderie, the personalities and the fun that is Texas AI/CMC.” TEK Racing plans to use this opportunity in the open-air car to employ CMC#2 as a “camera car” during the season, getting into the mix of the action from various angles and vantage points. “We’ve decided that the Mobil 1 Mustang is an excellent vehicle to mount various cameras in & on.” added Varner. In addition to TEK Racing videography, other competitors are welcome to mount their video cams and get the action of their race from a 3rd party perspective as well. “It’ll all get compiled at season end!” said Eric.

Final preparations have begun on the Mobil 1 Mustang in anticipation of Round 1 at MSRH on January 31. “The car should be really competitive now that Todd’s given me the leeway to prep it the way I want. I’ve already removed the cruise control, electric mirrors and trunk release. This car was a consistent podium finisher when I raced against it years ago and I’m hoping to consistently put it in winner’s circle after trimming the excessive weight and updating the suspension!”.

You can follow this historic CMC restoration and championship effort on TEK Racing’s website here: www.tek-racing.net/Varvini.htm or contact Todd Covini or Eric Varner for more information.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby GlennCMC70's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Eric, at least just get it driveable so you can turn a few laps in HPDE or TT so you can further evaluate the condition of the car.

good to see you officially back.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby mitchntx's Avatar
    Good to have you back, Eric. I certainly have missed your presence, if only as a disappearing dot in my windshield.

I guess I was a few days too late ... Covini beat me to it. But this sounds like a sweet deal ... Todd footing the bill and you writing the checks. Very sweet deal!

Senior Member Site AdminCarroll Shelby michaelmosty's Avatar
    Congratulation to team Vernivinu!! It'll be great to have both Todd and Eric back in the pits and on track!
    -Michael Mosty
    CMC #11 Mosty Brothers' Racing
    Director - TX Region

Thanks for the warm welcome back.

Hopefully, we will be able to get some great video footage, but I'm worried about being able to stay up with you guys enough to capture something else besides being solo in the back out there.

Looking forward to having some fun in a friendly environment. 8)

Senior Member Carroll Shelby AllZWay's Avatar
    Cool...It will be good to see the Ranchero back on track.

Excellent stuff! Love the web site with the play by play.

Welcome back...both of you! :lol: 8)
    Al Fernandez

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Adam Ginsberg's Avatar
    We should all buy stock in Tums. I think Glenn's going to be eating allot of them this season.....

Congrats, Eric.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby RichardP's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by evarner
    but I'm worried about being able to stay up with you guys

It's started already...

Welcome back. You've got a lot of work ahead of you to clinch Todd's standard second place in the championship.

Richard P.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby ShadowBolt's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Team Jordan will be back but in CMC2. I can't wait to race again even though I have not been back in the car since ECR. Glad your back Eric.

JJ