Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I need help with my 5.0

Senior Member Carroll Shelby ShadowBolt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I need help with my 5.0

I installed the shorty headers and e-cam on a new short block and went for my dyno. It is so pig rich it sucks. The numbers are okay at 4500 or higher but from 2200 to 3800 it under the 10:1 line! When I got the car from Eric he has just installed the 93 Cobra cam, rockers, maf, and computer. The car has felt weak to everyone that has driven it. I was told the MAF was wrong so I purchased one from the local auto parts and installed it. Now I have some popping back through the intake, it does not want to idle, and I still have the strong smell when I run it. In just a few minutes it stinks the whole place up. It gets on your clothes and you have to change it's so bad. I have read on the different Mustang sites that the MAF has to be calibrated to the injectors and then I have read it's the computer that must match the injectors not the MAF. I have checked and I do have the correct computer. I'm giving up a bunch of power under the peak. It made 260 but only 285 tq. I have no idea what to do next. I wish I could just get it tuned and cure the whole thing but we all know that is not going to be okay. HELP!

JJ

Senior Member Carroll Shelby mitchntx's Avatar
    My car runs stupid rich too. I've just learned to live with it.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby AllZWay's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mitchntx
    My car runs stupid rich too. I've just learned to live with it.
    Mine too... the rear of the car is black after a race weekend.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby marshall_mosty's Avatar
    Jerry,

1. What's your fuel pressure with the vacuum line disconnected and engine running?

2. What is the TPS set to? Should be 0.98V with the throttle blade closed.

3. Did you pull codes and make sure all the sensors are doing okay?

4. Timing somewhere between 10 and 16 degrees with the SPOUT disconnected.

5. Computer should be one of the following (at least I know these should work)... A9L, A9M, A9P.

6. What color are the tops or your injectors? Orange are 19lb and baby blue are 24lb.

The full throttle acceleration strategy that the EEC-IV will utilize looks at RPM versus load as well as temperature (engine and air) versus RPM. The engine load versus RPM table wants to keep the A/F ratio at 13.0:1 through the entire RPM band.
    Marshall Mosty
    AI/SI Texas Regional Director
    2011 NASA-TX American Iron Champ
    AI #67 "Mosty Brothers' Racing" (RIP)
    ST6 #21 Toyota Corolla (being revived)...

Senior Member Carroll Shelby RichardP's Avatar

Re: I need help with my 5.0

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowBolt
    93 Cobra cam, rockers, maf, and computer. I was told the MAF was wrong so I purchased one from the local auto parts and installed it

Did you purchase a Cobra MAF??? If you did, are you sure that's actually what you got? I'd go back to the old MAF or maybe go with a stock computer and 19 lb injectors.

Richard P.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by marshall_mosty
    Jerry,

1. What's your fuel pressure with the vacuum line disconnected and engine running?

2. What is the TPS set to? Should be 0.98V with the throttle blade closed.

3. Did you pull codes and make sure all the sensors are doing okay?

4. Timing somewhere between 10 and 16 degrees with the SPOUT disconnected.

5. Computer should be one of the following (at least I know these should work)... A9L, A9M, A9P.

6. What color are the tops or your injectors? Orange are 19lb and baby blue are 24lb.

The full throttle acceleration strategy that the EEC-IV will utilize looks at RPM versus load as well as temperature (engine and air) versus RPM. The engine load versus RPM table wants to keep the A/F ratio at 13.0:1 through the entire RPM band.
    Marshall,

Fuel pressure is 38 to 40 vacuum line disconnected.

I have not checked the TPS....never done it but I will.

I have not pulled codes but I did replace both o2's but nothing changed. I will pull the codes.....another thing I have not ever done on this old style system

Timing is set to 10 with spout disconnected.

Computer is correct Cobra X3Z

I will double check the injectors but I know they are not orange.

JJ

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RichardP
    93 Cobra cam, rockers, maf, and computer. I was told the MAF was wrong so I purchased one from the local auto parts and installed it

Did you purchase a Cobra MAF??? If you did, are you sure that's actually what you got? I'd go back to the old MAF or maybe go with a stock computer and 19 lb injectors.

Richard P.
    Richard,

I'm returning the Oreilly's MAF. The number they sold me says it's the one that replaces the one Rob has on his Cobra but it runs like crap and does not have the Ford electronics on it so I can't check the part number.

JJ

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RichardP

Richard P.
    Richard,

I'm returning the Oreilly's MAF. The number they sold me says it's the one that replaces the one Rob has on his Cobra but it runs like crap and does not have the Ford electronics on it so I can't check the part number.

JJ

Jerry,

If nothing else, get it to the track and we can swarm on it to get it running 100%. I can bring my voltmeter and other various parts to getcha out there.
    2004 Camaro Mustang Challenge Champion
    2005 Camaro Mustang Challenge Champion

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Rob Liebbe's Avatar
    Jerry,

I will ptich in at the track as well. Let me know and I can bring my Cobra MAF.
    Rob Liebbe - Texas Region
    Camaro, Mustang, doesn't matter to me, I'll race it.