Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Everyone's back home from Round 1

Senior Member Carroll Shelby

Everyone's back home from Round 1

GREAT ...weekend!
    GOOD ...field of 20+ cars
    GUTS...Lots of rookies take to the field and have some great battles
    GLORY...Liebbe's Fox takes a win over the CMC ringers!...Wirtz' CMC car takes an overall win over CMC2 & AI...David Love takes an AI victory. Mason Melkowitz sets a new AI track record...Team Jordan podiums...and many more glorious moments.
    GORE...Robertson & Marvel go home early with serious engine woes.
    GOOF...1500 yard penalty for Cooke's false start. 19 defenders sat still & watched in amazement.
    GOODONYA...excellent, safe, heads up driving on everyone's part resulted in no major incidents or flag violations.

More details and "G"s to come for sure...

Senior Member Carroll Shelby donovan's Avatar
    interesting...

Senior Member Site AdminCarroll Shelby michaelmosty's Avatar
    Just got back and got everything unloaded. It was an absolutely amazing event and an excellent start to the 09 season!!

I passed a few people, got passed a few times, slid a few times, and went off once. More to come when I'm not so tired. :wink:
    -Michael Mosty
    CMC #11 Mosty Brothers' Racing
    Director - TX Region

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Rob Liebbe's Avatar
    Winning is FUN!!!!
    Rob Liebbe - Texas Region
    Camaro, Mustang, doesn't matter to me, I'll race it.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby marshall_mosty's Avatar
    I washed and waxed the wife's Explorer yesterday.... wish I was at the track with you goobers.

In talking with both Michael and Jerry J., it appeared that the weekend was exactly as Todd described. I'm glad it was a great sucess with such a large CMC and CMC-2 field.
    Marshall Mosty
    AI/SI Texas Regional Director
    2011 NASA-TX American Iron Champ
    AI #67 "Mosty Brothers' Racing" (RIP)
    ST6 #21 Toyota Corolla (being revived)...

Senior Member Carroll Shelby donovan's Avatar
    Wake up and report in.... I need my fix...
    Spent the weekend finishing up Year End Taxes for work... The car is still in many pieces and many stages of completion. I will be ready next month...
    DD

Senior Member Carroll Shelby jeffburch's Avatar
    Lots of new Goobers!
    Great weekend.
    Pics and vid later tonight.
    Also, please get your good video to Eric.
    I can't wait to see my vid of the 27 car sideways in the wet in front of the entire cmc field. Oh, and the 11 car off @ T3. And the 70 car, and the 19 car and........

jb

Senior Member Carroll Shelby mitchntx's Avatar
    It was great to see all the old friends once again and it was fantastic to see all the new faces!

I had a great weekend, but it wasn't without a few hurdles.

Saturday was a lot of clean racing and good times.

Saturday, in Race 1 the 17 car and I fought and battled the whole race. I was fortunate to be in 3rd place when the checkered flag dropped. Jay, that was a blast, my friend. Good racing.

In race 2 I kept seeing a white car get closer and closer and closer. The 18 car was hooked up.

Sunday dawned to cloudy skies a threatening rain. Prior to Race 3, it rained for about 10 minutes and then the clouds broke.

During qualifying, I clipped a curb pretty hard and broke a wheel. It was a HARD hit, but amazingly enough, the tire never lost pressure and I finished the session.

Race 3 was a melee going into T1. It was still wet in spots and it caused a little angst. The 28 car and I had a door handle to door handle racing incident as we both tried to avoid the traffic jam.

A couple laps later, I came out of 17 a little wide, got into the water next to the wall and attempted to parallel park the car on driver's left ... all in front of a screaming pack of Detroit V8s. Superior driving skill on the 17 and 22 car ... maybe just dumb luck on the 22 car ... we all didn't get collected. Was able to hold off the 85 car from that point on to get a 5th place finish.

James and I exchanged some paint and a dent apiece and a cool Gatorade aftewards.

Race 4 found the 8 car and I on the front row. The 8 missed a shift and it allowed me to get to turn 1 first. But the 5 car bumped, nudged, rubbed and scraped it's way past in short order. And, as it happened way too often, the 28 car got underneath going into carousel and I watched as they both disappeared into the distance.

I chased my car all weekend, which it typical for me at Houston. I had a few nagging mechanicals ... a couple head scratchers and a couple, "Wow, that coulda been bad" issues.

But, my Dad once told me ... "Son, you are like a goat. What you don't tear up, you shit on." Wait, I meant, "If you can drive it on the trailer afterwards, you automatically win."

MSR-Cresson - March 14/15 - be there ... no excuses.

Senior Member Grass-Passer cobra132's Avatar
    Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. Packed the trailer on Wed. Had a great call night Thur. Got out early on Fri and headed to the track, happy happy happy. On Sat went out for practice session, on lap 2 with 50 extra pounds of torque, 120 extra pounds of car, cold tires and as JB put it an extra 10 or 15 lbs of dumb ass, managed to find the tire wall coming out of turn 2. :shock: No real damage, just left my right sided wing end plate sticking in a tire somewhere. The only bad thing was I forgot to turn on the camera. Finished the session without further incidend but noted alot of smoke when coming off throttle. When I fired the engine for qual there was a hellish tapping from the rear of the engine on the passenger side. Pulled valve cover, nothing obvious. Pushed car in trailer and went home. Got drunk. On Sunday pulled pan, intake and valve covers. Found a stuck valve lash adjusted, everything else looks perfect. Happy again. :lol: I'll be back. FMR

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Quote Originally Posted by cobra132
    Pushed car in trailer and went home. Got drunk. On Sunday pulled pan, intake and valve covers. Found a stuck valve lash adjusted, everything else looks perfect. Happy again. :lol: I'll be back. FMR
    MAN, sorry you had the bad luck but I love happy endings... So glad to hear there was only a little damage to the car... now, the drinking thing, you might want to go to a meeting... LOL