Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Great CMC racing!

Great CMC racing!

I had a blast all weekend racing various CMC drivers (Daron, Mitch, Glenn, Nick, Michael, Micah, Morgan and I'm sure others). Good clean racing and some very INTENSE action. I'm completely worn out and still smiling. I want to thank those who I battled with for all the give and take racing, I still can't figure how we pulled off some of those moves lol.

I'll find some more HP and hopefully make a better showing next time - but I'm not complaining!

Senior Member Grass-Passer
    More Details!
    who won? who tore up stuff? who wrecked into each other?
    cmon cmon I am dying here.
    Mini race report is now mandatory after every race. I am an addict with no fix.

Senior Member Grass-Passer oz98cobra's Avatar
    The action in CMC was awesome from my perspective. I watched the video from Saturday's races tonight and every lap was wheel to wheel action for CMC! Great stuff! Thanks for a great weekend racing guys!
    Daron
    AI75 DownUnder Racing

I can't recall the AI or AIX info, but in CMC Eric Varner won the 1st race, then Jeff Burch won the second on Saturday. Burch then took the 40 minute race on Sunday after Michael Mosty qualified on the pole. Michael finished 3rd with Varner coming in 2nd.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby mitchntx's Avatar
    Thanks to everyone for cutting this track rookie some slack this weekend.

It was great racing while I could hang. I limped #9 home in the 40. I think this junk yard motor is a little tired.

Mike, Micah, Eric, Nick, Morgan, Daron .... it was a lot of fun and very enjoyable

Quote Originally Posted by oz98cobra
    The action in CMC was awesome from my perspective. I watched the video from Saturday's races tonight and every lap was wheel to wheel action for CMC! Great stuff! Thanks for a great weekend racing guys!
    Daron, can you post the videos? Like a fool I didn't install my video camera on Saturday or I'd have some great racing footage. Installed it for the 40 on Sunday but we sat on the grid so long I paused the camera, you guessed it, stayed on pause for the entire race lol.

Waaah, I got no video!

Senior Member Grass-Passer y5e06's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mitchntx
    . I limped #9 home in the 40. I think this junk yard motor is a little tired.
    Yeah, I was gonna ask you about that. there was a significant amount of white smoke emitted from #9 just after entering the front stretch as you were apparently hard on the throttle. continued to have contrails down to turns 3-4 of the same lap.
    Dust Collector

Lots of oil pushed out the valve cover and the catch can went solid.

My feeble attempt to recall the racing:

R1 Qual'd 5th some distance back of Varner, Burch, Landrum, and Daron?

Rolling start, managed to get through T1 with a flood of CMC cars all over me. JB stopped for some body work before the green flag, so I went off 4th at the start. Felt like a 1 v 5 dogfight for 20 minutes. Somewhere in there Glenn spun and I inherited a distant 3rd or 4th place. I fought Daron for what seemed an eternity, he had way too much speed and all I could do was stuff it under him in braking at every opportunity. Near the end I had Nick all over me and he blew by me on the back straight. I managed a last lap pass on him for 3rd place, I was completely worn out and the car was not happy with the thrashing it just got.

R2 - The inverted race from Hell.

Glenn had a bobble in front of me, David Love and I raced for 3 laps or so and I had to let him go as I had a CMC car convention parked all over my tail end. I fell back to 6th as we had an 8 car CMC elephant walk going on for about 5 laps or so. Was like watching 8 tigers fight over a dead little bird, nobody wanting the other to get any scraps lol. I battled Daron again but he had my number this time, he wasn't giving me any chances to outbrake him this race. Michael Mosty hounded me for a few laps and passed me till he went wide over the launch and I shot between he and Morgan, somehow limped home in 6th place. Hardest work I've ever done for 20 minutes. I'm beginning to think CMC inverted starts are a bad idea...........lol.

R3 - The 40 minute Texas Ball-Buster

Cool suit hooked up and working well, but I'm starting 6th in a field full of CMC contenders. I look around on the grid and realize my fellow CMC friends all look like serial-killers in search of their next meal. After the funky start procedures, we had a great run down into T1, clean through there from my perspective and the chase was on. Mitch snuck under me in T1 and was off to the races, great: I'm already in 7th place after one turn of a 40 min race! I was in the middle of an F-Body nightmare. I raced Mitch Warren hard for the opening laps (lost count of them) and he graciously pulled to the side in T2 when he began smoking a bit. Then came Glenn's turn to work me over. After I snuck under him in T16 he hounded me until I ran straight off there the very next lap. I got back on track in front of Nick and Mitch but Nick had been saving his stuff or ate a can of Spinach like Popeye as he began to eat up the 15 car length lead I had on him. With two laps to go Nick got by me going into Gorilla. I managed to take the position back in T16 but as we went under the S/F stand and took the 1 to go signal I knew this race was one lap too long. Nick stuck on my tail and took the position back in Gorilla again. I hounded him through the rest of the turns, we raced side by side through the keyhole and over the launch but he got by me on the backstraight. I had one chance left and that was T16 but Nick had learned all my moves there and did a great job of defending his position and took away any line I may have had for a pass. 40 minutes of pure work and 7th place was where I finished.

No contact that I saw, a few dramatic offs but overall I thought it was one hell of a great racing weekend. We even did a much better job in T1 from what I saw! At least that's how I remember it in my Monday morning fog.

Great write up, Mike. There was some serious give and take into T1. I think I had my eyes closed when George came screaming up driver's left into T1. It was looking VERY ugly. But, I never ran over any body parts ...

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Bell

I raced Mitch Warren hard for the opening laps (lost count of them) and he graciously pulled to the side in T2 when he began smoking a bit.
    You are too kind. I saw you and Nick pull WAY over to the left ... probably just to be able to see. :shock:

It only did that at the last 2 turns and when I was using low gears/high RPMs. So, I lugged the car through there in a higher gear and watched everyone drive off into the distance. But I finished and drove it to the trailer.

I gotta say thanks to Mr. SchuVarner for allowing me to at least be side by side with him for a short while. It made my weekend to not only race side by side, but pit next to him as well.

He also pointed out that you could look across the way after The Launch and see the starter's station and get an early update on what's going on, on track.

That was good info on the restart. Unfortunately, it wasn't common knowledge.