Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rule of the Day - Fuel Cell

Senior Member Carroll Shelby

Rule of the Day - Fuel Cell

....some new stuff for 2009...jus'so'ya'kno :wink:

+++++++++++++
    CCR 15.4 Fuel Cell / Tank
    As of January 1, 2009 no new logbooks will be issued for vehicles with a fuel cell, unless
    the fuel cell is FIA FT3 (or higher) certified. As of January 1, 2012 all fuel cells must be
    FIA FT3 (or higher) certified, regardless of the date of purchase or date of the logbook
    issuance.
    A fuel cell is not required, except as specified by class rules. It is recommended for all
    NASA classes, unless specifically listed otherwise. All vehicles having a fuel cell MUST
    comply with the rules in this section, even if a fuel cell is not required.
    • There must be a solid metal bulkhead completely separating the fuel tank, fuel
    pump, fuel cell, filler neck hoses, and/or vent lines, from the driver compartment.
    • The cell must contain a bladder that is FIA FT-3 (or higher) rated.
    • The cell should be in a container made of at least 0.036-inch steel, 0.059-inch
    aluminum, or 0.125-inch Marlex, fully surrounding the bladder.
    • Foam internal baffling is required, as per FIA FT3-1999 (or higher).
    • The filler cap, line, vents hoses, etc. should be designed so that no fuel will
    escape if the car is partially or totally inverted.
    • There should be a small drain hole in the outside box to purge fuel trapped
    between the bladder and the box.
    • Filler necks should not be mounted through a window panel (exceptions may be
    made at the discretion of the Chief Scrutineer).
    • The competitor is responsible for ensuring that the cell, bladder, and components
    are installed, maintained, and replaced per the manufacturer’s instructions and in
    accordance with applicable sections of the CCR.
    • The bladder has a date of manufacture and serial number. The competitor is
    responsible to note this in the front of the logbook.
    • Bladders older than 5 years should not be used, no exceptions.
    • As a January 1, 2009 the competitor will be responsible for showing proof of the
    age of the bladder. It is highly recommended that the receipt for the purchase of
    the bladder (or entire cell) be stored with the Vehicle Logbook.

Note to self... keep the original fuel tank...

Senior Member Grass-Passer Wirtz's Avatar
    Just brillant how they managed to take a good piece of saftey gear and turn it in to an even more expensive situation and make it a pain in the ass on top of it. I feel much safer with a stock tank....

You know, I heard metal can rust. I think we need to be cutting out the roll cages every 5 years and redoing them, you know, just to be safe.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby mitchntx's Avatar
    This ROTD is a great idea!

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Rob Liebbe's Avatar
    Keep it down or they might start requiring fuel cells.
    Rob Liebbe - Texas Region
    Camaro, Mustang, doesn't matter to me, I'll race it.

We shouldn't be able to spell NASA with these letters: S C C and A

8) :lol:
    2004 Camaro Mustang Challenge Champion
    2005 Camaro Mustang Challenge Champion

I agree that the revised 5 year limit on fuel cell bladders is very unfortunate. Given that, if I was building new I'd stick with a stock tank.

FYI the manufacturers issue proof of age certificates when you buy entire assemblies or bladders. I can show you an example at the next event as I keep mine with my log book now. Dont buy a car with a cell without one, or keep in mind the cost of replacement.
    Al Fernandez

Quote Originally Posted by mitchntx
    I'm not trying to spark fear & angst among folks. Nothing's worse than learning about a rule at the track in impound.

I'll try to pick softer, kinder rules in the days ahead. :-)
    It's all about the learnin'.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Covini
    Quote Originally Posted by mitchntx
    I'm not trying to spark fear & angst among folks. Nothing's worse than learning about a rule at the track in impound.

I'll try to pick softer, kinder rules in the days ahead. :-)
    It's all about the learnin'.
    Hey I like this ROTD idea...in fact its guaranteed that I'll be poking back here from time to time just for the learnin'

Quote Originally Posted by evarner
    We shouldn't be able to spell NASA with these letters: S C C and A

8) :lol:
    Sorry, just had to chime in on this one. SCCA doesn't have a five-year rule on fuel cells, and probably won't any time soon since half the cars who race with them are formula cars that require $1000+ custom cell bladders. But most of them are running leaded race gas that is more stable than pump gas and the cells really don't deteriote if they are properly maintained. My new Formula Vee has a 12 year old cell that looks brand new. I would be pissed if I had to spend over $750 to replace it just because of a date stamped on it.
    Matt King
    OH-IN/Midwest CMC 03