Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rule of the Day - Confidentiality

Senior Member Carroll Shelby mitchntx's Avatar

Rule of the Day - Confidentiality

17.4 Confidentiality

A competitor has a right to protect information about legal modifications and setup pertaining to their vehicles from other competitors. If a competitor feels that inspection by the Tech Inspector (i.e. if the Inspector is another competitor) will result in loss of information to another team, he/she may lodge such an objection with the Inspector.
    Once an objection has been lodged, the Tech Inspector will remain in impound while the competitor locates the Race Director. The Race Director will then make the determination of legality. The tech inspector may watch the vehicle or assign someone to watch it, but shall not conduct any inspections, other than those agreed upon between
    himself/herself and the driver.
    How is forcing us to turn over our dyno sheets and making them publicly available not violate 17.4?

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Series rules supercede CCR.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Covini
    Series rules supercede CCR.
    3.9 Dynamometer Certification

All participants who wish to compile season points must submit a certified dynamometer report prior to the start of the race or make arrangements to have a dyno test performed immediately after the race. The dynamometer inspection will consist of two parts, a completed CMC Dyno Spec Sheet and Dyno Sheet Readout Graphs. All pages must be signed and dated by the dynamometer operator performing the tests. These forms must be kept with the vehicle's logbook and be ready to present to any official. The CMC Dyno Spec Sheet includes instructions for performing the official dynamometer inspection, which must be followed in order for the dyno inspection to be valid. The Dyno Spec Sheet is available on the CMC website or from the CMC Chief Director, see section 10.
    I don't see making 2 copies and turning one in for public consumption anywhere in there.

So are you making these RotDs up as you go?

Senior Member Grass-Passer Wirtz's Avatar
    I know I have talked about this stuff last year.

Why is it so hard for there to be a folder on this site that is login protected to put this collected data?

Quote Originally Posted by Wirtz
    I know I have talked about this stuff last year.

Why is it so hard for there to be a folder on this site that is login protected to put this collected data?
    Not sure I understand, Jeff. How would that maintain 17.4 as it's written in the CCR?

The CMC Dyno Spec Sheet should not be mandatory public information (not sure if it now or not). If I had a complaint or opposition (which I don't, but bringing it up for discussion) it would be that no other competitor (including directors) should be allowed to see the CMC Dyno Spec Sheet.

Even the dyno graph is in question and all that should be presented is pass/fail.

Legal competitive advantages should be made public?

Again, this is for discussion and does not necessarily present my point of view on the matter.
    2004 Camaro Mustang Challenge Champion
    2005 Camaro Mustang Challenge Champion

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Adam Ginsberg's Avatar
    These RotD have proven highly informative, as well as perspective-changing.

IMO, turning a dyno sheet copy over to a Series Director isn't exactly making it available for public consumption.

I'd honor a competitor's request to keep his/her dyno sheet private WRT other competitors viewing. However, the flip side of making a request like that could raise the eyebrows of their competitors.

Just another point of view.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Ginsberg
    These RotD have proven highly informative, as well as perspective-changing.

IMO, turning a dyno sheet copy over to a Series Director isn't exactly making it available for public consumption.

I'd honor a competitor's request to keep his/her dyno sheet private WRT other competitors viewing. However, the flip side of making a request like that could raise the eyebrows of their competitors.

Just another point of view.
    Good point.

But if you read 3.9 of the 2009 CMC rules, it doesn't say we have to turn one in. It says:

These forms must be kept with the vehicle's logbook and be ready to present to any official.
    "be ready to present" says "make available if asked" and not "turn it in before you go on track at your first event" like we've been led to believe.

As far as raising eyebrows ... raise'em. File the protest paperwork. But be careful if you do ... 17.6 can bite you in the butt.

I agree ... these RotDs are eye openers ... Makes you RE-re-read with different thought process.

Quote Originally Posted by evarner
    The CMC Dyno Spec Sheet should not be mandatory public information (not sure if it now or not). If I had a complaint or opposition (which I don't, but bringing it up for discussion) it would be that no other competitor (including directors) should be allowed to see the CMC Dyno Spec Sheet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Ginsberg
    When a dyno sheet copy given to the directors became a "rule", I was told that at any time we could see any competitor's dyno sheet.

Is the director/coordinator having a copy of the dyno sheet a possible advantage (especially if "regular" competitor's can't see it)?

Senior Member Carroll Shelby GlennCMC70's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    everything i collect is available to anyone who wants to see it. so there is no advantage to those who collect this info.
    if we are going to police our own series, it will have to be done by those who race w/in it. its just the cards we were delt.