Thread: Rule of the Day - Ballast

Senior Member Carroll Shelby

Rule of the Day - Ballast

American Iron Rule 7.5 Ballast
    Ballast can be added in order to meet the power to weight ratio of the American Iron class. Ballast may be
    placed in any location provided it is securely fastened and approved by NASA tech and safety officials.
    Any ballast mounted inside the vehicle may not be taller than three inches or stacked higher than three
    inches. No more than 150 lbs. of ballast may be added to the vehicle. Ballast shall be defined as material
    that serves no other purpose than adding weight. The weight of the ballast shall be clearly marked on the
    ballast itself.

Camaro-Mustang Challenge Rule 7.7 Ballast
    Ballast Up to 150lbs of ballast is allowed, but no further rearward than the plane of the front of the main hoop of the roll cage. Each ballast piece may not be taller than three inches or stacked higher than three inches. Ballast must be securely fastened and approved by NASA tech/safety officials.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby marshall_mosty's Avatar
    What if I have three 50 lb plates stacked together to create a 3" tall stack. Each weight has markings on top of each weight, but the bottom two don't have visible markings? Do I need markings on the side also?
    Marshall Mosty
    AI/SI Texas Regional Director
    2011 NASA-TX American Iron Champ
    AI #67 "Mosty Brothers' Racing" (RIP)
    ST6 #21 Toyota Corolla (being revived)...

Senior Member Carroll Shelby GlennCMC70's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    i would mark it. it would be a bitch to have to pull it just to show its marked on the top where you cant see it. i used a sharpie.

I added the CMC Ballast rule above to compare & contrast.
    2 birds with one heavily weighted stone.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby jeffburch's Avatar
    I will propose a change in the cmc rule above.
    The difference between a Fox and a Camaro on the tables is 100lbs correct?
    I think that 100lbs should be able to go where you wish.
    The other 50 stay where it's presently stated.

In other words, weight added to get to the minimum is different that this magic 100 that is the difference in the platforms on the weight vs hp/tq table.

jb

so Al telling me that my ballast actually had to read "ballast" on it during my annual is not necessary?....not that I am going to need it anytime soon anyway....but just wanted to know.
    Ah, fugg it.

Yeah, I just made my car # the same as the amount of extra weight I am carrying. #3529 total...If I can drop #404 I might actually be competitive @ #3125 w/o having to mess with the engine. hmmmm