Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rule of the Day - Passing

Senior Member Carroll Shelby

Rule of the Day - Passing

CCR Rule 25.4.1 - Passing General
    The responsibility for the decision to pass another car, and to do it safely, rests with the
    overtaking driver. The overtaken driver should be aware that he/she is being passed
    and must not impede the pass by blocking. A driver who does not watch his/her mirrors
    or who appears to be blocking another car seeking a pass may be black-flagged and/or
    penalized. The act of passing is initiated when the trailing car’s (Car A) front bumper
    overlaps with the lead car’s (Car B) rear bumper. The act of passing is complete when
    Car A’s rear bumper is ahead of Car B’s front bumper. “NO PASSING” means a pass
    cannot even be initiated. Any overlap in a NO PASSING area is considered illegal.

Senior Member Grass-Passer
    As a lurker that hopes to join CMC within a year or two, I find that rule almost incorrect, or maybe NASCAR.

Here is the one that I find more important:

25.4.3 Right to the Line

The driver in front has the right to choose any line, so long as not to be considered
    blocking. The driver attempting to make a pass shall have the right to the line when their
    front wheel is next to the driver of the other vehicle. Note: This rule may be superseded
    by class specific rules.
    -Wayne
    -CMC #85

Hi Wayne,
    Welcome! and we hope to see you out there soon. Both rules are accurate and necessary. When you join the group, one of your friendly directors will likely go over "The Evolution of a Pass".

The rule I quoted determines when "the pass" starts & when it ends.
    The rule you quoted gets into the specifics of who's in the right and when during the pass.

You'll find that here in Texas, our AI/CMC racers can go 4, 5 or 6 turns side by side and some of the best "racers" have come out of our region. See you soon!

-=- Todd
    American Iron Series - National Director

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Covini
    our AI/CMC racers can go 4, 5 or 6 turns side by side
    -=- Todd
    Heck, I thought THAT was a rule...

Senior Member Grass-Passer jeremiahkellam's Avatar
    I thought it was 4, 5 or 6 WIDE through the turn...
    2010 CMC2 National Champion
    2010 Texas CMC2 Champion
    2010 Summer Shootout Champion - CMC2
    Call it what you want... But that sounds like a Triple Crown to me!!
    http://www.gagemotorsports.com

Quote Originally Posted by David Love AI27
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd Covini
    our AI/CMC racers can go 4, 5 or 6 turns side by side
    -=- Todd
    Heck, I thought THAT was a rule...
    As a rookie I found more fun (educational?) than just 4 wide was the fact that there could be 3 or four "evolutions of a pass" going on at the same turn at the same time. If one of the drivers attempting a pass just "chooses a line" without really being aware of the other "evolutions", s/he he and 4 or 5 other cars are going to be balled up.

With Great power (rule 25.4.3) comes Great responsibility
    (9 On Course Conduct
    Per the NASA CCR, any driver displaying rough, negligent, or unsportsmanlike conduct will receive harsh penalties, which may include loss of points, suspension and/or fines at the discretion of NASA officials).

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Fbody383's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HoustonNW
    As a lurker that hopes to join CMC within a year or two...
    Be sure to take time to come hang out with the group. I made several '08 events just to talk to folks, look at cars and soak up the fun.

Good group of us rookies this year so get in while we're still slow. 8)

Remeber, to pass the car in front of you it's easer to go around rather than over, under or through... <>
    #39 CMC Camaro
    Orange is Fast!
    CMC-NT01 FTW!

Quote Originally Posted by Fbody383
    Quote Originally Posted by HoustonNW
    As a lurker that hopes to join CMC within a year or two...

Remeber, to pass the car in front of you it's easer to go around rather than over, under or through... <>
    I am just glad he figured out how to pass by the time he caught up to me <<>>>

Senior Member Carroll Shelby GlennCMC70's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    no comment till after probation is over.

Senior Member Grass-Passer
    Quote Originally Posted by Fbody383
    Be sure to take time to come hang out with the group. I made several '08 events just to talk to folks, look at cars and soak up the fun.

Good group of us rookies this year so get in while we're still slow. 8)

I'll be at TWS in April, my first Time Trial (TTC in an '07 Mustang GT) if I can get approved. Thanks for the invite, but I'm afraid that you CMC guys will want to get rid of me before the weekend is over with all of my questions.

As of right now I'll be there on Friday for the Test & Tune and back on Sunday for the four TT sessions.

If I can find just one more conflict for Saturday - I'm up to three - I might call the whole thing off!
    -Wayne
    -CMC #85